[paint] Could someone suggest......

I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good starter set of paints and
brushes for a new WFB player. I've looked at GW and Reaper online but am
not sure. Any help would be great
24 answers Last reply
More about paint suggest

    "trakad" <trakad@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good starter set of paints and
    > brushes for a new WFB player. I've looked at GW and Reaper online but am
    > not sure. Any help would be great

    Got my opinions on both paints and brushes. And in the painting tips
    section of my website I detail 'em.

    --
    MJB

    Mr. Tin's Painting Workshop:
    http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "trakad" <trakad@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good starter set of paints and
    > brushes for a new WFB player. I've looked at GW and Reaper online but am
    > not sure. Any help would be great

    Well, now that GW switched to the "flip-top" lids from the screw on sort, I
    can recommend both GW and Reaper, paints as being completely serviceable.
    That said, there are both better options and cheaper options that really
    deserve a look. In the US, Delta Ceramcoat paints, Apple Barrel paints,
    etc. can be found at Walmart, Micheals, JoAnn's and other craft stores for
    less than a buck a bottle. With only a handful of exceptions (bright reds,
    metallics, yellow) they work just as well as GW paints for far less money.
    One there, pick up the Plaid Essentials paintbrushes for a very reasonable
    cost as well.

    If you're looking for quality, take a glance at Vallejo Model Color or Game
    Color. While most places charge more for them, they're worth it IMO.
    Poking around will net you their "kits," which are selections of colors in a
    variety of themes.

    For completely biased advice, I'd buy Vallejos for Metals, bright colors,
    and anything that you really want to look sharp and craft paints for block
    work.

    Karyth Teel
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <7hdKd.9241$IJ5.6617@okepread02>, trakad, trakad@cox.net
    Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    > I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good starter set of paints and
    > brushes for a new WFB player. I've looked at GW and Reaper online but am
    > not sure. Any help would be great

    Well, there are a number of resources that can assist you on this
    subject. If you look on RGMW's own web site you'll find an entire
    section of links and articles on this very subject...

    http://www.rgmw.org

    First question is - how much do you want to spend? I've tried a variety
    of paints, and I'm not a huge fan of the GW range - especially the older
    bottles that tended to dry out way to fast due to poor container design.
    If you're trying to save money, there are many better priced
    alternatives to most of the colors GW makes - I use 95% non-GW colors
    when it comes to painting my own figures. I've used Vallejo and liked
    them (especially their flesh tones) a lot, a bit of Reaper (mainly their
    inks which are decent), Tamiya - mainly for their metallic colors, and a
    great deal of the Plaid/Folk Arts craft paints - which surprisingly
    enough provide solid colors and excellent value for the money. There's
    even some excellent choices of gold and antique gold/copper in the craft
    paint lines that are surprisingly good for the price. For brighter hues
    and stronger colors like oranges and purples, there's even artists grade
    acrylic paints like Liquitex that are a good value.

    Once you're on the rgmw web site - check out the links to the various
    painting 'how to' sites, as well as the 'brush care' article. You're
    better off spending a bit more money on a quality paint brush set and
    taking good care of it than you buying a cheapo set that will give poor
    paint application results and wear out faster to boot.

    Also, if you want enough minis painting conversation to make your eyes
    bleed - check out the mini painter yahoo email group at...

    Hope that helps,

    Myrmidon

    #1582. I think they call it Warhammer "40K" because that is how
    much you are going to have to make per year in order to play.

    - Eric Noland

    # 1082. Pound for pound I can buy cocaine cheaper than
    raise a Warhammer army

    - Roy Cox

    http://www.PetitionOnline.com/gwprice/

    ****

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

    Or...

  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message
    > In article <7hdKd.9241$IJ5.6617@okepread02>, trakad, trakad@cox.net
    > Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    > > I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good starter set of paints
    and
    > > brushes for a new WFB player. I've looked at GW and Reaper online but
    am
    > > not sure. Any help would be great
    >
    > Well, there are a number of resources that can assist you on this
    > subject. If you look on RGMW's own web site you'll find an entire
    > section of links and articles on this very subject...
    >
    > http://www.rgmw.org
    >

    > Hope that helps,
    >
    > Myrmidon

    It may just be mw, but it does seem that we get this question a lot, and the
    conventional wisdom seems to be the same. Is there any way we could simply
    type up a "how to buy paints" article? As an aside, I'd love to put up a
    "how to start painting Minis for under $50" article that stresses the joys
    of the Walmart craft aisle. While I'm slowly upgrading to Vallejo paints,
    my initial discovery of Ceramcote allowed me to double my pallete for $20.

    Karyth Teel
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    On 1/27/05 5:46 PM, in article ctbqvf$f2q$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu, "Karyth
    Teel" <spo2@case.edu> wrote:

    > It may just be mw, but it does seem that we get this question a lot, and the
    > conventional wisdom seems to be the same. Is there any way we could simply
    > type up a "how to buy paints" article? As an aside, I'd love to put up a
    > "how to start painting Minis for under $50" article that stresses the joys
    > of the Walmart craft aisle. While I'm slowly upgrading to Vallejo paints,
    > my initial discovery of Ceramcote allowed me to double my pallete for $20.

    You could add to this...
    http://www.rgmw.org/paint/paint.html

    janet
    --
    I am open to conviction on all points except dinner and debts. I hold that
    the one must be eaten and the other paid. Those are my only prejudices.

    "trakad" trakad@cox.net wrote:
    >I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good starter
    >set of paints and brushes for a new WFB player. I've
    >looked at GW and Reaper online but am not sure. Any help
    >would be great

    If you're going cheap, buy a GW starter paint set ($20?).

    Otherwise, buy a starter set of Vallejo ($50?).

    Either way, buy some decent all-sable (non-synthetic) brushes from Vallejo or
    your local art supply store, sizes 0 and 3/0.

    --
    --- John Hwang "JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com"
    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Karyth Teel" spo2@case.edu wrote:
    >I'd love to put up a "how to start painting Minis for under
    >$50" article that stresses the joys of the Walmart craft aisle.

    Mmkay... Tho you should throw in a caveat that craft paint isn't the same as
    hobby paint. The pigment isn't ground as finely, so people shouldn't expect
    the same smoothness in the final product.

    > While I'm slowly upgrading to Vallejo paints,
    > my initial discovery of Ceramcote allowed me to double my
    > pallete for $20.

    The sad thing is that you could have gotten another 7 or 8 droppers of Vallejo
    for that $20. It's not a good use of limited money to re-buy your paint. Why
    not just buy the right paint at the start? Particularly as Vallejo is designed
    to be mixable.

    --
    --- John Hwang "JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com"
    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > Well, now that GW switched to the "flip-top" lids from the screw on sort, I
    > can recommend both GW and Reaper, paints as being completely serviceable.

    I've found that the GW paints in the current-style flip-top lids are
    incredibly watery and don't provide decent coverage even with six or
    seven coats. It's not just one or two in a bad batch, it's every single
    pot I've bought since the new lot came out.

    Brad

    --
    Don't bother with the yahoo address - I never read it.
    bjhann at hotkey dot net dot au

    "Brad Hann" <luntacarsus@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Well, now that GW switched to the "flip-top" lids from the screw on
    sort, I
    > > can recommend both GW and Reaper, paints as being completely
    serviceable.

    > I've found that the GW paints in the current-style flip-top lids are
    > incredibly watery and don't provide decent coverage even with six or
    > seven coats. It's not just one or two in a bad batch, it's every single
    > pot I've bought since the new lot came out.

    Thanks for the head's up. I mainly use Vallejos, with some Reapers and
    Deltas thrown in. I still can dig out some old school Ral Parthas, but
    those are all in the process of being retired. The only GW paint I still
    use is the "Bronzed Flesh" from the old Coat D'Arms days, and that's only
    because I got it free from a buddy of min.

    > Brad

    Karyth Teel
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Brad Hann luntacarsus@yahoo.com.au wrote:
    >> Well, now that GW switched to the "flip-top" lids from the
    >>screw on sort, I can recommend both GW and Reaper,

    *Why?* For the same price, I'd much rather get Coat D'Arms. For a bit more,
    I'd get Vallejo.

    >I've found that the GW paints in the current-style flip-top
    > lids are incredibly watery and don't provide decent
    >coverage even with six or seven coats.

    So now we've figured out how GW is able to afford the changeover to new lids...

    >It's not just one or two in a bad batch, it's every single
    >pot I've bought since the new lot came out.

    You're aware of the defintion of "insanity", right?

    --
    --- John Hwang "JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com"
    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Karyth Teel and said

    > It may just be mw, but it does seem that we get this question a lot,
    > and the conventional wisdom seems to be the same. Is there any way we
    > could simply type up a "how to buy paints" article? As an aside, I'd
    > love to put up a "how to start painting Minis for under $50" article
    > that stresses the joys of the Walmart craft aisle. While I'm slowly
    > upgrading to Vallejo paints, my initial discovery of Ceramcote allowed
    > me to double my pallete for $20.

    Write it and send it to me.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

    "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Out from under a rock popped Karyth Teel and said
    >
    > > It may just be mw, but it does seem that we get this question a lot,
    > > and the conventional wisdom seems to be the same. Is there any way we
    > > could simply type up a "how to buy paints" article? As an aside, I'd
    > > love to put up a "how to start painting Minis for under $50" article
    > > that stresses the joys of the Walmart craft aisle. While I'm slowly
    > > upgrading to Vallejo paints, my initial discovery of Ceramcote allowed
    > > me to double my pallete for $20.
    >
    > Write it and send it to me.

    here it is, in a raw, unformatted, probobly barely coherent form. It's
    effectivly two bits: the first is a simple "what paints should I use" essay,
    and the second explains what exactly to buy to have a decent paint bench for
    $50 US. Feel free to amend, edit, counter, etc. anything in here, it's
    meant to be a Group response to a Group question, but I'm sure my personal
    leanings showed. Also, I wrote it in a casual first person style, that can
    easily be changed to a more formal style that speaks for the group.

    ****************Start Essay*****************

    What paints should I use?

    The question is often asked around here, as folks take a look at GW paints
    and wonder if there is an alternative. To save time for the regulars around
    RGMW, the "conventional wisdom" was codified for future generations to
    enjoy.

    Short Answer:

    Don't buy GW paints, instead buy craft paints (Delta Ceramcoat, Plaid Apple
    Barrel) for most paints, and Vallejo paints for Metallic shades. Craft
    paints are available in Wal-Mart, Michael's Crafts, and Joann Fabrics for
    under a buck a 2oz bottle, and Vallejo's are available in most hobby shops.

    Longer Answer:

    For a beginning painter, there is a bewildering array of paint ranges to
    choose from. Realistically, there's only a handful that the average painter
    needs to concern himself with:

    Citadel Color Paint (GW Brand):

    In a word, mediocre. At $2.50 a 12ml pot, they're average in price, and
    they've recently switched to a longer lasting "Flip top" lid that prevents
    the nearly instant dry out of the old pots. That said, they color coverage
    isn't very good, many report that the paint is watery and thin, and their
    color range, while adequate, isn't exactly breathtaking (it lacks a strong
    neutral grey and their browns tend to be reddish.) For the most part, the
    colors are clumped into groups of three for easy highlighting/shading. Many
    painters use the color names as standard keys for describing a paint job.

    Pros: Not as bad as they used to be two years ago, convenient, easy to
    find,

    Cons: Not as good as they were eight years ago, cost high for average
    quality.

    Delta Ceramcoat/ Plaid Apple Barrel
    http://www.deltacrafts.com/Paint/Ceramcoat/

    Craft paints widely available at discount stores in the US, Delta paints
    provide the highest value for the cost of any paint brand, and their actual
    quality is comparable if not equal to Citadel, Reaper, etc. The large, 2oz
    (60ml) bottles have both a flip top lid and a screw off cap, making them
    easy to use. Larger 4oz and 8oz sizes are available in basic colors. The
    color range is almost 300 shades, though they skew far more to pinks and
    purples than most gamers are used to. At an average of $1 a pot, they're a
    fantastic bargain. Sample kits are available for even cheaper.

    There are some problems, however. Their reds are uneven, but the comparable
    Apple Barrel Bright Red is excellent. Metallics are generally poor, and
    should be avoided. The range of flesh tones is generally too cartoony to be
    of much use.

    Pros: Low Cost, Huge range of colors, convenient pots, wide availability

    Cons: Poor Metallics and bright reds, inadequate flesh tones.

    Reaper Pro Paints

    Reaper recently released a new line of Master Paints that I have
    yet to use, but their Pro Paints are still available and are often
    encountered. As a range, Reaper is decent, with strong colors, nice
    consistency, and a neat molded skull as a shaking bead. Their color range
    is limited, but their price of $2.50 for 3/4oz (22.5 ml) is quite
    reasonable. Their metallics are among the finest available for the price.

    Pros: Slightly better and cheaper than GW, very nice metallics, cool shaker
    bead

    Cons: Uneven quality across range, limited availability

    Vallejo Model Color / Game Color

    A range of roughly 200 colors designed for use by the military
    modeling community, though miniature painters have flocked to this brand for
    it's top shelf quality, consistency, color range, and bottle design. A
    large majority of painters use and adore these paints, and nearly all who
    try them prefer them to Citadel Paints. The new Game Color line is an exact
    copy of Citadel's color chart, in case you're stuck on a certain GW color.
    Prices range around $3 a 17ml pot, which isn't cheap by any means, but
    actually cheaper than Citadel paints. Many painters outside of 'Eavy Metal
    are switching, meaning that many clinics and tutorials will begin cropping
    up refrencing these paints. Further, while the Game Color range is an exact
    match, the following link contains a chart that provides euivilencies:
    http://home.att.net/~katamaran/vallejo.html

    Outside of cost (some retailers charge far more than online
    vendors) and availability, there is very little downside to the Vallejo
    range. Any painter serious about the hobby and willing to pay the price
    should seriously consider these paints:

    Pros: Highest Quality, Convenient Bottles, huge range, excellent metallics

    Cons: Limited (but growing) availability, often high cost

    How to Start Painting for under $50 bucks:

    Every Painter, bare minimum, needs a brush, some water, a mixing surface,
    and five paints: White, Black, Red, Blue, and Yellow. In practice, you need
    far more colors, and most likely several brushes. If you're new to "The
    Hobby" and are looking for a cheap way in, here's some hints, tips, and even
    a shopping list.

    Brushes:

    First off, you need some brushes. While verteran painters have dozens (I
    know I do), most find themselves using the same brushes over and over. The
    roles most called for are: Terrain brush, Vehicle/Base Brush, Workhorse,
    Detail, Eyeballer, and Dry brush. The teraain brush is for painting terrain
    and isn't even a craft brush. Get this one a Home Depot. The Vehicle Base
    brush is your large, indiscriminate brush for when you need to put a lot of
    paint on something. Typically a Size 1-3, buy the brush size that you like
    best.

    Workhorse: this is the brush that you could paint nearly an entire model
    with. Never, ever skimp on this brush, as it's going to be in your hand a
    lot of the time. Sizes vary from a slim 0 to a fat 3/0, and for this brush
    I highly recommend springing for Fox Hair or Golden Nylon. Simply ask the
    hobby store for a good brush in the size range you're interested in.

    Detail/Eyballer: These are small, typically 3/0 or 5/0 for details and a
    10/0 or smaller for eyeballs. Use them sparingly and they'll last. I
    sometimes prefer to use cheap nylon brushes in these sizes and replace them
    often, though a high quality 5/0 brush can be cared for well into a couple
    of years life.

    Dry Brush: any old brush, but for now, buy a pack of cheap brushes. Dry
    Brushing ruins bristles, so use an old or cheap brush for this task.

    While hobby stores carry fine selections of paint brushes, you can get cheap
    nylon brushes at discount craft stores, often in a bundle for much less.

    To start, I'd buy the following:

    Floquil (or equivalent) Size 1 and Size 10/0 [~$10 for both]

    Plaid Essentials Brush Set (size 2, 4, 6, 3/0) [~$5]

    Paints:

    If you're on a budget, or are simply open to a bargain, then Acrylic Craft
    paints are the solution to your paint needs. Instead of paying $3 for a
    half ounce or less of hobby paint, you can get a 2oz bottle for under a
    buck. You can find these paints in Wal-Mart, JoAnn's fabric, Michaels, and
    many other discount craft stores. You'll find a wall of paints from which
    to choose in a variety of brands and colors. I prefer the Delta Ceramcoat
    for all but Bright Red, for which I use the Apple Barrel color. Obviously
    the colors you need are dependent on your project, but here's a great
    starting Palette:

    White

    Black

    Light Grey

    Dark Grey

    Bright Green

    Forest Green

    Camo Green/Olive drab

    Yellow

    Orange

    Bright Red (consider Apple Barrel over Delta)

    Dark Red

    Purple

    Royal Blue

    Navy Blue

    Tan/Khaki

    Leather Brown

    Dark Brown

    ...And any colors that strike your fancy

    As for the rest of the colors, go back to the hobby store, and buy Vallejo
    paints for your metallics. I've never had great luck with Delta's
    metallics, and Vallejo has a great range. Pick up the following:

    Steel

    Gunmetal

    Brass

    Copper

    Silver

    ~20 Delta Ceramcoat Paints [~$20]

    5 Vallejo Paints [~$15]

    And there you have it, a reasonably well stocked paint bench for $50, and
    only two stops. Of course, you'll want to expand as time goes on, but that
    can be done a couple of colors at a time for a few bucks a week. Enjoy your
    painting, and welcome to the hobby!

    ***********************End Essay*************************

    Karyth Teel
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <ctc5lh$5je$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu>, Karyth Teel, spo2
    @case.edu Varfed out the following in Timo speak...

    > "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Out from under a rock popped Karyth Teel and said
    > >
    > > > It may just be mw, but it does seem that we get this question a lot,
    > > > and the conventional wisdom seems to be the same. Is there any way we
    > > > could simply type up a "how to buy paints" article? As an aside, I'd
    > > > love to put up a "how to start painting Minis for under $50" article
    > > > that stresses the joys of the Walmart craft aisle. While I'm slowly
    > > > upgrading to Vallejo paints, my initial discovery of Ceramcote allowed
    > > > me to double my pallete for $20.
    > >
    > > Write it and send it to me.
    >
    > here it is, in a raw, unformatted, probobly barely coherent form. It's
    > effectivly two bits: the first is a simple "what paints should I use" essay,
    > and the second explains what exactly to buy to have a decent paint bench for
    > $50 US. Feel free to amend, edit, counter, etc. anything in here, it's
    > meant to be a Group response to a Group question, but I'm sure my personal
    > leanings showed. Also, I wrote it in a casual first person style, that can
    > easily be changed to a more formal style that speaks for the group.

    <massive Ker-snip!>

    You see! You see! Look Singers! Someone who's name isn't
    Myrmidon or Bowles wrote a post with more than 200 lines - and in record
    time. ;) Is it my fault if the rest of the news group is composed
    largely of illiterate banana slugs and/or hairless tree sloths?
    Besides, I have to be quick to survive in the zoo I live in - nearly
    lost a finger to the Bobcat in our barn during feeding time with the
    critters. (The duffus horse being stubborn about going in his stall
    didn't help either - Bobby kept getting out. Hard to grab a cat that
    doesn't want to be grabbed and hold onto a large horse at the same
    time.)

    This is an excellent start Karyth. I think you've done a decent job and
    I don't see anything wrong with the tone of the writing. There are
    definitely some pointers I can add. I think a short bit about warm and
    cool hues of color would be worth while as most beginners will want to
    start with 3 warm colors, I.e. warm red, blue, and yellow as their
    beginning pallet so that any color mixing won't turn muddy or neutral
    mess (which is frustrating as heck if you're an unsuspecting beginner).
    I'd also add a short note about the fact that adding 'black' to a color
    pushes it towards a neutral or muddy value rather than creating a darker
    hue, and that white pushes a color towards pastel. Next up is the
    section on brushes - you do a nice job describing their use, but I would
    suggest adding information about how 'art supply' stores describe
    various types of brushes as well to avoid confusion if the new painter
    decides to invest in something other than the GW/Craft store variety of
    paint brushes. (Like I said, quality brushes will definitely deliver
    better painting results and last for years if properly cared for.) I'll
    take a shot at writing up some additional material for this over the
    weekend. I'm about to go and put gesso on the last batch of hills so I
    can start painting them - woot!

    Later (and thanks!)

    Myrmidon

    --
    I'll have you know that I am equivalent to *at least twice* my
    bodyweight in Snotlings.

    -- Brad Hann

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

    Or...

  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Karyth Teel and said

    > Thanks for the head's up. I mainly use Vallejos, with some Reapers and
    > Deltas thrown in. I still can dig out some old school Ral Parthas, but
    > those are all in the process of being retired.

    If you have any Paladin Blue then you can retire it in my direction.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
    "I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > Out from under a rock popped Karyth Teel and said
    >
    > > Thanks for the head's up. I mainly use Vallejos, with some Reapers and
    > > Deltas thrown in. I still can dig out some old school Ral Parthas, but
    > > those are all in the process of being retired.
    >
    > If you have any Paladin Blue then you can retire it in my direction.
    >
    > --
    > Rob Singers

    Haha, not a chance. I still haven't found a better dark blue, so my 2/3 of
    a pot is jealously guarded. Have you tried the new Iron Wind Metals stuff?
    Anyway, if I can find a suitable replacement it's yours.

    Karyth Teel
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Myrmidon and said

    > Hell, if you want to get the ball rolling and type up the initial
    > verison(s) and post it here, I'd be glad to give it a look and offer up
    > anything helpful that I can. I'm sure others would do the same. I can
    > at least offer up some technical stuff about acrylic paint
    > characteristics, as well as my favorite craft paint colors, etc. I'm
    > quite certain that we could submit it to Mr. Singers and persuade him to
    > add it to RGMW.

    What Myr actually send me a submission????????

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
    "I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > In article <Xns95EC85C426650rsingers@IP-Hidden>, Robert Singers,
    > rsingers@finger.hotmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    >> What Myr actually send me a submission????????
    >
    > Don't make me come over there!

    It's "Don't make me come DOWN there." Remember, he lives in upside-down
    land where all the blood rushes to their heads and makes them say weird
    stuff like "wombat" and "crickey!". I don't think that hole in the ozone
    layer is helping any either.

    --

    -smithdoerr
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <20050128001029.11085.00000292@mb-m18.news.cs.com>, John
    Hwang, johnhwangcsi@cs.com.no.com Varfed out the following in Timo
    speak...
    > "trakad" trakad@cox.net wrote:
    > >I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good starter
    > >set of paints and brushes for a new WFB player. I've
    > >looked at GW and Reaper online but am not sure. Any help
    > >would be great
    >
    > If you're going cheap, buy a GW starter paint set ($20?).

    No... He said the point was to buy a starter set cheaply - not to
    buy a cheap starter set. GW paints still are NOT a great value for the
    money, even with the better bottles. Some of their colors like the
    bright purples and greens are good, but their yellows and reds aren't
    the greatest by any means, and those are 2/3 rds of their primary color
    range.

    > Otherwise, buy a starter set of Vallejo ($50?).
    >
    > Either way, buy some decent all-sable (non-synthetic) brushes from Vallejo or
    > your local art supply store, sizes 0 and 3/0.

    Agreed - presently Sable brushes are still the best out there, though
    there are some seriously nice synthetics available as well these days.

    Myr

    #1582. I think they call it Warhammer "40K" because that is how
    much you are going to have to make per year in order to play.

    - Eric Noland

    # 1082. Pound for pound I can buy cocaine cheaper than
    raise a Warhammer army

    - Roy Cox

    http://www.PetitionOnline.com/gwprice/

    ****

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

    Or...

  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped smithdoerr and said

    > It's "Don't make me come DOWN there." Remember, he lives in
    > upside-down land where all the blood rushes to their heads and makes
    > them say weird stuff like "wombat" and "crickey!". I don't think that
    > hole in the ozone layer is helping any either.

    That's northern hemisphere bigotry and it's all lies. South is actually
    up, and I'm at the very start of the world. Those wombat fellas are
    actually a couple of hours behind.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
    "I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > Out from under a rock popped smithdoerr and said
    >
    >> It's "Don't make me come DOWN there." Remember, he lives in
    >> upside-down land where all the blood rushes to their heads and makes
    >> them say weird stuff like "wombat" and "crickey!". I don't think that
    >> hole in the ozone layer is helping any either.
    >
    > That's northern hemisphere bigotry and it's all lies. South is actually
    > up, and I'm at the very start of the world. Those wombat fellas are
    > actually a couple of hours behind.

    Nah, if south were up I would have fallen off the planet long ago. Look,
    I'm not even holding on or anything! <jumps up and down> See?

    --

    -smithdoerr
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Myrmidon and said

    > Don't make me come over there! I'd love to get some stuff done,
    > but I'm in the midst of a huge terrain making project so as to replace
    > my 15+ year old hills with new ones that aren't age worn, and to get the
    > ones I promised to Toaster finished as well. Along with that I've still
    > got a metric ton of Nid stuff to finish for both my army and Toaster's
    > as well. After that I want to do the 'how to' shots for the magnetic
    > dread conversion 'in progress' when I do my 2nd Dread as well as the
    > magnetic mounts for the IG heavy weapons crews. I think my wife should
    > let me quit my job so I can spend a year or two finishing up my 40K
    > stuff. ;)

    What a feeble excuse. All of us see the 200 line posts you make in reply
    to the simplest question. If you've got time to do that you've got time to
    actually do something important.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
    "I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Out from under a rock popped Karyth Teel and said

    >> If you have any Paladin Blue then you can retire it in my direction.
    >
    > Haha, not a chance. I still haven't found a better dark blue, so my
    > 2/3 of a pot is jealously guarded. Have you tried the new Iron Wind
    > Metals stuff? Anyway, if I can find a suitable replacement it's yours.

    I know it's a seriously freaking good colour. I've got about a 1/4 pot
    left. IWM say there paints are the same formula and I might be tempted to
    take the hit on ths shipping when I have even less. I actually use the
    Steel colour a lot too.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.
    "I present to RGMW....the real life model for StrongBad." (c) Inc 2003
    Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    MJB wrote:
    > "trakad" <trakad@cox.net> wrote ...
    >
    >>I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good starter set of paints and
    >>brushes for a new WFB player. I've looked at GW and Reaper online but am
    >>not sure. Any help would be great
    >
    > Got my opinions on both paints and brushes. And in the painting tips
    > section of my website I detail 'em.

    If I'm motivated, I'll update my Painting Notes:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.miniatures.warhammer/msg/b05db5fb7d8ee72b

    Nearly 2 years since the last update, but still a decent article.

    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > In article <ctc5lh$5je$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu>, Karyth Teel, spo2
    > @case.edu Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    >>
    >> "Robert Singers" <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Out from under a rock popped Karyth Teel and said

    >> > Write it and send it to me.
    >>
    >> here it is, in a raw, unformatted, probobly barely coherent form. It's
    >> effectivly two bits: the first is a simple "what paints should I use"
    >> essay,
    >> and the second explains what exactly to buy to have a decent paint bench
    >> for
    >> $50 US. Feel free to amend, edit, counter, etc. anything in here, it's
    >> meant to be a Group response to a Group question, but I'm sure my
    >> personal
    >> leanings showed. Also, I wrote it in a casual first person style, that
    >> can
    >> easily be changed to a more formal style that speaks for the group.
    >
    > <massive Ker-snip!>
    >
    > You see! You see! Look Singers! Someone who's name isn't
    > Myrmidon or Bowles wrote a post with more than 200 lines - and in record
    > time. ;) Is it my fault if the rest of the news group is composed
    > largely of illiterate banana slugs and/or hairless tree sloths?

    It's just that we like to get straight to the point.

Games Video Games