Default font in Windows XP Professional integrated with Se..

July 26, 2005 5:04:12 PM

Hello .

When I had Windows XP Professional (with no service pack) under resolution
of 800*600
and Color Quality set to Highest (32 bit) , using Large Fonts (96 DPI) ,
then applied the
Windows XP service pack 2 - Windows still looked good , as with no
service packs at all .

Recently , I had to reformat my harddrive. Then , I installed Windows XP
Professional
integrated with Service Pack 2 and now Windows appearance is really awful .
The default font is Tahoma , 10 pts (or something like that) . Things are
not readable and me , plus
my mom , need to "strain our eyes" .

How can I get back to the original - with no-service packs at all - Windows
appearance , as I had
previously , before reformatting ?

Thanks in advance ,
Lior .

PS. the same problem occurs with most of the websites too - which are
unreadable -
even though I increase the Text Size (View -> Text Size) to largest .
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 5:04:13 PM

Did you reinstall your video drivers from the manufacturers web site? If so,
experiment with different screen resolutions. After a reinstall, drivers may
revert to the Windows XP default drivers. Any customizations you previously
had may be gone.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:04:12 -0100, "Lior" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote:

>Hello .
>
>When I had Windows XP Professional (with no service pack) under resolution
>of 800*600
>and Color Quality set to Highest (32 bit) , using Large Fonts (96 DPI) ,
>then applied the
>Windows XP service pack 2 - Windows still looked good , as with no
>service packs at all .
>
>Recently , I had to reformat my harddrive. Then , I installed Windows XP
>Professional
>integrated with Service Pack 2 and now Windows appearance is really awful .
>The default font is Tahoma , 10 pts (or something like that) . Things are
>not readable and me , plus
>my mom , need to "strain our eyes" .
>
>How can I get back to the original - with no-service packs at all - Windows
>appearance , as I had
>previously , before reformatting ?
>
>Thanks in advance ,
>Lior .
>
>PS. the same problem occurs with most of the websites too - which are
>unreadable -
>even though I increase the Text Size (View -> Text Size) to largest .

Did you check to make sure you are still using 800 X 600 for the
resolution? Most systems I have set up with XP will default to 1024 X
768 if the montior and Video card can handle it. If the res is set to
1024 X 768 then of course everything will look much smaller to you.

Also 96 DPI is the normal not Large size for Fonts.
Related resources
July 26, 2005 5:35:52 PM

The Video driver (graphics adapter driver) is already being updated (it
says no need to update , when
trying to update the driver via the Windows Device Manager) .

Lior .

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Did you reinstall your video drivers from the manufacturers web site? If
> so, experiment with different screen resolutions. After a reinstall,
> drivers may revert to the Windows XP default drivers. Any customizations
> you previously had may be gone.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Lior" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote in message
>> Hello .
>>
>> When I had Windows XP Professional (with no service pack) under
>> resolution of 800*600
>> and Color Quality set to Highest (32 bit) , using Large Fonts (96 DPI) ,
>> then applied the
>> Windows XP service pack 2 - Windows still looked good , as with no
>> service packs at all .
>>
>> Recently , I had to reformat my harddrive. Then , I installed Windows
>> XP Professional
>> integrated with Service Pack 2 and now Windows appearance is really
>> awful .
>> The default font is Tahoma , 10 pts (or something like that) . Things
>> are not readable and me , plus
>> my mom , need to "strain our eyes" .
>>
>> How can I get back to the original - with no-service packs at all -
>> Windows appearance , as I had
>> previously , before reformatting ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance ,
>> Lior .
>>
>> PS. the same problem occurs with most of the websites too - which are
>> unreadable -
>> even though I increase the Text Size (View -> Text Size) to largest .

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 5:35:53 PM

It will always say that because it looks at what is installed in your
computer. After a reinstall, or a new install, the system will usually be
using the Windows XP "default" video drivers. You have to download and
install the dedicated video drivers from the manufacturers web site, or from
the installation CD. It is up to you to make this happen.

If you gave more information (what you gave contains nothing about what
video board you are using, driver version etc) about your video sub system,
seeing as how you are having a video problem, maybe it would be easier to
assist you.

Help us to help you. Give us information.

--

> The Video driver (graphics adapter driver) is already being updated (it
> says no need to update , when
> trying to update the driver via the Windows Device Manager) .
>
> Lior .
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:%23tSLM0ckFHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Did you reinstall your video drivers from the manufacturers web site? If
>> so, experiment with different screen resolutions. After a reinstall,
>> drivers may revert to the Windows XP default drivers. Any customizations
>> you previously had may be gone.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Lior" <aaa@aaa.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello .
>>>
>>> When I had Windows XP Professional (with no service pack) under
>>> resolution of 800*600
>>> and Color Quality set to Highest (32 bit) , using Large Fonts (96 DPI) ,
>>> then applied the
>>> Windows XP service pack 2 - Windows still looked good , as with no
>>> service packs at all .
>>>
>>> Recently , I had to reformat my harddrive. Then , I installed Windows
>>> XP Professional
>>> integrated with Service Pack 2 and now Windows appearance is really
>>> awful .
>>> The default font is Tahoma , 10 pts (or something like that) . Things
>>> are not readable and me , plus
>>> my mom , need to "strain our eyes" .
>>>
>>> How can I get back to the original - with no-service packs at all -
>>> Windows appearance , as I had
>>> previously , before reformatting ?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance ,
>>> Lior .
>>>
>>> PS. the same problem occurs with most of the websites too - which are
>>> unreadable -
>>> even though I increase the Text Size (View -> Text Size) to largest .

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 5:35:54 PM

We should NEVER rely on Windows Update for any drivers. These drivers are
usually "way out" of date and from personal experience, can really
"screw-up" your Windows XP (especially the video card drivers!) Always get
the latest drivers from you video card manufacturer.

!