xonic

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
I realize we get this question daily but mine is a little different than those I've seen recently.

Here is my situation: CPU-Z doesn't show what mode my memory chips are working in. At the "memory" tab, the "channels #", "performance mode" and "bank interleave" are grayed out. Frequency shows up as 200MHz, which is correct.

I have a gigabyte mother board with SiS 648 chip set. It has 3 memory slots on the board; I am currently using slot 0 and 1. motherboard manual doesn't say which slots are for dual channel.

Any way to tell if my memory chips are working in dual channel mode without running benchmarks? Due to specific situation, currently I cannot boot from floppy or CD to run the common mem tests and I am too lazy to get it to work atm.

Hard decisions: Intel or AMD, nVidia or ATI, Windows or Linux, Neverwinter Nights or Counter-Strike, computer or woman.

xonic

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
I just found out the motherboard/chipset does not support dual channel....

I guess now the only thing I can do is go cry in a corner...

or maybe I should just shell out the $ and buy a new motherboard.

Hard decisions: Intel or AMD, nVidia or ATI, Windows or Linux, Neverwinter Nights or Counter-Strike, computer or woman.

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Normally, the information on the memory tab will appear only if you are running in Dual Channel mode.

It can be the case that you are not running in DC-mode.

If the two sticks of memory you are using are different, this may prevent DC from working properly.

I usually use CPU-Z. However, any program such as sisandra that can read your bandwidth can be used to determine DC-mode.

Which model do you have? Are you sure it's a dual-channel board?

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem<font color=white>

xonic

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
The two memory sticks are identical. I've started to think the motherboard/chipset doesn't support dual channel. It's a gigabyte with SiS648 chip set. The gigabyte product page does Not mention dual channel which makes me think it doesn't. but some other google'd articles mention this chip set does supports dual channel...

I've just posted in the motherboard section on this issue.