Small network sychningg document to xp pro server

Hi

I wonder if possible if people can advise me on the following

I have a small network which is running as a xp peer to peer ; i have
created a machine which I will call the server ; basically a lot of storage
area... I have basic networing knowledge and understanding mapping drives
and shared folders.... but wish a way of having all the client xp machines
ensuring their data get saved on the server machine for backup..

I was wondering about synching folders like laptops do to network ; any
possible in built solution or mapping the document drive to each machine
from the server or a 3rd party app (freeware / low cost ware) which will
help me achieve this...

I just need to make sure if the machine cant connect to the server there is
local copies of the data on the client so they can carry on working also if
they do make changes to document they are sychned up to the server when
ready...

the obvious options is the idea of roaming profiles but i dont think you can
do that in a windows xp pro network without a domain server...

any suggest welcomed...

Many thanks

Nick

Malke

remove all spaces wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wonder if possible if people can advise me on the following
>
> I have a small network which is running as a xp peer to peer ; i have
> created a machine which I will call the server ; basically a lot of
> storage area... I have basic networing knowledge and understanding
> mapping drives and shared folders.... but wish a way of having all the
> client xp machines ensuring their data get saved on the server machine
> for backup..
>
> I was wondering about synching folders like laptops do to network ;
> any possible in built solution or mapping the document drive to each
> machine from the server or a 3rd party app (freeware / low cost ware)
> which will help me achieve this...
>
> I just need to make sure if the machine cant connect to the server
> there is local copies of the data on the client so they can carry on
> working also if they do make changes to document they are sychned up
> to the server when ready...
>
> the obvious options is the idea of roaming profiles but i dont think
> you can do that in a windows xp pro network without a domain server...

You are correct that you can only have roaming profiles with a domain.
Since you want to keep copies of the files locally on each workstation,
an easy way to accomplish what you want is with third-party backup
software like SecondCopy from www.centered.com. SecondCopy is quite
inexpensive (around $30usd I believe) and will do exactly what you
want. Install it on the "server" and set it up to copy the files on the
workstations, putting the backup files into one folder (name it
something useful like "SecondCopy backup"). Then you only have one
folder to backup off the file server.

I am assuming that you have only a few workstations (under 8) so the
concurrent incoming connections limitation on the file server is not
reached.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

In article <Oq3TLWekFHA.3148@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, Malke
<invalid@not-real.com> wrote:
>remove all spaces wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I wonder if possible if people can advise me on the following
>>
>> I have a small network which is running as a xp peer to peer ; i have
>> created a machine which I will call the server ; basically a lot of
>> storage area... I have basic networing knowledge and understanding
>> mapping drives and shared folders.... but wish a way of having all the
>> client xp machines ensuring their data get saved on the server machine
>> for backup..
>>
>> I was wondering about synching folders like laptops do to network ;
>> any possible in built solution or mapping the document drive to each
>> machine from the server or a 3rd party app (freeware / low cost ware)
>> which will help me achieve this...
>>
>> I just need to make sure if the machine cant connect to the server
>> there is local copies of the data on the client so they can carry on
>> working also if they do make changes to document they are sychned up
>> to the server when ready...
>>
>> the obvious options is the idea of roaming profiles but i dont think
>> you can do that in a windows xp pro network without a domain server...
>
>You are correct that you can only have roaming profiles with a domain.
>Since you want to keep copies of the files locally on each workstation,
>an easy way to accomplish what you want is with third-party backup
>software like SecondCopy from www.centered.com. SecondCopy is quite
>inexpensive (around $30usd I believe) and will do exactly what you
>want. Install it on the "server" and set it up to copy the files on the
>workstations, putting the backup files into one folder (name it
>something useful like "SecondCopy backup"). Then you only have one
>folder to backup off the file server.
>
>I am assuming that you have only a few workstations (under 8) so the
>concurrent incoming connections limitation on the file server is not
>reached.
>
>Malke

I second Malke's recommendation of SecondCopy! I use it to back up
data on my network. I've scheduled several backup profiles to run,
consecutively, between 6 AM and 7 AM, when I'm not using the computer.
One profile backs up the "server" computers files from one hard disk
to another. Other profiles back up data between computers.

It's a great program -- easy to set up and use and completely
reliable.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com