Fill a new guy in on any problems he might have...

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I'm building a PC for a friend, and he's crazy about data backups, so he wants a RAID 1 setup.
It's using two 250 GB SATA150 drives, and I'm just wondering what kind of things I should look out for. I don't want to get caught up for an hour looking for how to fix a problem. (for example, on my very first PC, I had to call a friend to see whether I should use NTFS or FAT32 for my hard drive)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
The big thing is create a floppy disk with the SATA/RAID drivers from the Mobo CD before you start. Then press F6 at the appropriate moment during XP install to install that driver.

Mike.

PS: NTFS :cool:

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

Huh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
One thing I would do is read the user manual so you understand how to set up your RAID configuration. Also on most newer boards there are two different chips (Promise and ????) used to RAID your drives. Make sure you know which one you are using and that you have the drivers for it.

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Yeah, I'm using NTFS, lol...

Conveniently, I remembered that I have both onboard RAID chip manuals from my own motherboard like 10 minutes after I posted. >.< *slaps self*

So, um, yeah, it answered most of the potential questions... Sorry I wasted the space.