Disable write attempts from Windows to disconnected extern..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Occasionally my external USB hard disc is accidentially physically disconnected.

In the following time Windows seems not to recognize the whole situation and
tries to write some data resp. accesses otherwise the lost partition.

Because it cannot find it an error message window is popped up informing me:

"Windows was unable to save all data for the file \Device\MyData\$Mft. The data has been lost.
This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection.
Please try to save this file elsewhere"

Which file is Windows trying to save?

How do I permanently turn off this message (if I click <ok> the dialog window
appears 10 Minutes later again).

How do I enable Write-Through access for USB harddiscs (instead of caching the files)?

Paul
3 answers Last reply
More about disable write attempts windows disconnected extern

    Paul,
    Even though write caching is supposed to work and it does in SP1, you
    have to turn it off in SP2. In Administrative Tools, Disk Management,
    (select your external drive) right click to the properties dialog box,
    select the hardware tab, select the properties button, select the
    policies tab, select the option, "Optimise for Quick Removal." This
    will turn off Write Caching.
    For a look at what generates the Delayed Write Failure message look
    here;
    'Introduction' (http://www.bustrace.com/products/delayedwrite.htm) this
    problem happens to External USB and External Firewire drives.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Remove the drive letter for it from Disk Management.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Paul Barasoa" wrote:
    | Occasionally my external USB hard disc is accidentially physically
    disconnected.

    | In the following time Windows seems not to recognize the whole situation
    and
    | tries to write some data resp. accesses otherwise the lost partition.
    |
    | Because it cannot find it an error message window is popped up informing
    me:

    | "Windows was unable to save all data for the file \Device\MyData\$Mft. The
    data has been lost.
    | This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network
    connection.
    | Please try to save this file elsewhere"
    |
    | Which file is Windows trying to save?
    |
    | How do I permanently turn off this message (if I click <ok> the dialog
    window
    | appears 10 Minutes later again).
    |
    | How do I enable Write-Through access for USB harddiscs (instead of caching
    the files)?

    | Paul

    Paul,
    Please don't post ala the shotgun method.
    Your answer is in the other forum, if you can remember where that was!
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman