Dell Wireless Keyboard

The white letters "E" and "D" on my Dell wireless keyboard have worn off
after only 16 months of use. The Letter "T" is
showing signs of doing the same.
Has anyone else had this experience?
I've been using computers (and keyboards) for 14 years and this is the
first keyboard I have used to lose the lettering!
Presently I am using a $10 USB corded keyboard. A replacement Dell would
include the wireless mouse (which I do not need) at a
cost of $62.
Comments please.
Rad in Texas.

This has happened to me on every Dell laptop I've owned. The more
frequently used letters fade in less than a year. Fortunately, the
warrantee covers this. On my current laptop I've already had two
replacements and expect to request another one in a couple of months.
You'd think it would be more cost-effective for Dell to improve their
keyboards instead of having to replace them.

Rita Goldberg

Radford B. Allen wrote:
> The white letters "E" and "D" on my Dell wireless keyboard have worn off
> after only 16 months of use. The Letter "T" is
> showing signs of doing the same.
> Has anyone else had this experience?
> I've been using computers (and keyboards) for 14 years and this is the
> first keyboard I have used to lose the lettering!
> Presently I am using a $10 USB corded keyboard. A replacement Dell would
> include the wireless mouse (which I do not need) at a
> cost of $62.
> Comments please.
> Rad in Texas.

I have Dell keyboards going back to 1997, and all my letters are very clear.
What do you eat while you type?
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
> This has happened to me on every Dell laptop I've owned. The more
> frequently used letters fade in less than a year. Fortunately, the
> warrantee covers this. On my current laptop I've already had two
> replacements and expect to request another one in a couple of months.
> You'd think it would be more cost-effective for Dell to improve their
> keyboards instead of having to replace them.
>
> Rita Goldberg
>
> Radford B. Allen wrote:
> > The white letters "E" and "D" on my Dell wireless keyboard have worn off
> > after only 16 months of use. The Letter "T" is
> > showing signs of doing the same.
> > Has anyone else had this experience?
> > I've been using computers (and keyboards) for 14 years and this is the
> > first keyboard I have used to lose the lettering!
> > Presently I am using a $10 USB corded keyboard. A replacement Dell would
> > include the wireless mouse (which I do not need) at a
> > cost of $62.
> > Comments please.
> > Rad in Texas.

Rita, this is not a sexist comment but we do notice that alot of female
users have their keys wear out this has been identified to the hand cream
products they use
"Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
> This has happened to me on every Dell laptop I've owned. The more
> frequently used letters fade in less than a year. Fortunately, the
> warrantee covers this. On my current laptop I've already had two
> replacements and expect to request another one in a couple of months.
> You'd think it would be more cost-effective for Dell to improve their
> keyboards instead of having to replace them.
>
> Rita Goldberg
>
> Radford B. Allen wrote:
>> The white letters "E" and "D" on my Dell wireless keyboard have worn off
>> after only 16 months of use. The Letter "T" is
>> showing signs of doing the same.
>> Has anyone else had this experience?
>> I've been using computers (and keyboards) for 14 years and this is the
>> first keyboard I have used to lose the lettering!
>> Presently I am using a $10 USB corded keyboard. A replacement Dell would
>> include the wireless mouse (which I do not need) at a
>> cost of $62.
>> Comments please.
>> Rad in Texas.

Since I don't use handcream, what do you think the answer might be?

Rita

The Hedonist wrote:
> Rita, this is not a sexist comment but we do notice that alot of female
> users have their keys wear out this has been identified to the hand cream
> products they use
> "Rita Goldberg" <ritagoldberg@stlawu.edu> wrote in message
>
>>This has happened to me on every Dell laptop I've owned. The more
>>frequently used letters fade in less than a year. Fortunately, the
>>warrantee covers this. On my current laptop I've already had two
>>replacements and expect to request another one in a couple of months.
>>You'd think it would be more cost-effective for Dell to improve their
>>keyboards instead of having to replace them.
>>
>>Rita Goldberg
>>
>>Radford B. Allen wrote:
>>
>>>The white letters "E" and "D" on my Dell wireless keyboard have worn off
>>>after only 16 months of use. The Letter "T" is
>>>showing signs of doing the same.
>>>Has anyone else had this experience?
>>>I've been using computers (and keyboards) for 14 years and this is the
>>>first keyboard I have used to lose the lettering!
>>>Presently I am using a $10 USB corded keyboard. A replacement Dell would
>>>include the wireless mouse (which I do not need) at a
>>>cost of $62.
>>>Comments please.
>>>Rad in Texas.

What do I do when I type? I work!

Have you ever checked the groups at the Dell site? There are MANY
messages about letters fading on laptop keyboards. I have had several
Dell desktops. There's been only very slight fading on these keyboards
even though I use them much more than those on my laptop.

Rita

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> I have Dell keyboards going back to 1997, and all my letters are very clear.
> What do you eat while you type?

Rita - and others,
I'm not using a laptop. My Dell Dimension 2400 desktop came with a Dell
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.
It is that keyboard that has lost it's E and D. The keyboard still
functions normally and since I do use touch typing I could get along
without the letters but I think it may indicate a lack of quality when
letters wear off after 16 months of use.
I don't eat or drink anything while at the keyboard.
Thanks for your observations.
Rad

Rita Goldberg wrote:
> This has happened to me on every Dell laptop I've owned. The more
> frequently used letters fade in less than a year. Fortunately, the
> warrantee covers this. On my current laptop I've already had two
> replacements and expect to request another one in a couple of months.
> You'd think it would be more cost-effective for Dell to improve their
> keyboards instead of having to replace them.
>
> Rita Goldberg
>
> Radford B. Allen wrote:
>
>> The white letters "E" and "D" on my Dell wireless keyboard have worn
>> off after only 16 months of use. The Letter "T" is
>> showing signs of doing the same.
>> Has anyone else had this experience?
>> I've been using computers (and keyboards) for 14 years and this is the
>> first keyboard I have used to lose the lettering!
>> Presently I am using a $10 USB corded keyboard. A replacement Dell
>> would include the wireless mouse (which I do not need) at a
>> cost of $62.
>> Comments please.
>> Rad in Texas.

The keyboard I am referring to is NOT a laptop. It is a desktop with a
WIRELESS keyboard .
Rad

Rita Goldberg wrote:
> What do I do when I type? I work!
>
> Have you ever checked the groups at the Dell site? There are MANY
> messages about letters fading on laptop keyboards. I have had several
> Dell desktops. There's been only very slight fading on these keyboards
> even though I use them much more than those on my laptop.
>
> Rita
>

> Ted Zieglar wrote:
>
>> I have Dell keyboards going back to 1997, and all my letters are very
>> clear.
>> What do you eat while you type?

astraycat

I am using a Dell wireless keyboard right now that has lost the E, R, S, N, half of the T, A, D, F and G, and part of the C, M, B and V. I don't know how old this one is, I inherited it, but prob not more than a couple years. I do use hand cream but not sloshing with it. Probably just poor quality of construction.

I like the design and wrist rest but will have to go with another brand when I replace bec of the fading letters and also bec I don't need the mouse.

msrr

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I have been through 4 of these keyboards since buying my Dell Dimension. I have gotten warranty replacements, but now I have gone out of warranty. A google search for keyboard replacement keys turned up several options.
Keyboard lables.. Several labels. and then I found these..
http://www.onsale.com/ttsvr/p/4205494?dpno=7316033&store=onsale
Tese are letters only, and there is no pic, but for 10 bucks I will give it a shot!! I love this keyboard, and do not want to buy another one...
Have a happy day!
MsRR

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Seems like a silly of Dell not to have fixed this product flaw. However I have the same issue on a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. Letters started fading a little after only 6 months and now about 6 keys are entirely black with some others at intermediate stages. I guess I should have acted sooner but my keyboard is out of warranty now. I guess at the time I figured I would be learning where the keys are faster and not need the labels. For the most part I have, but sometimes when I am not actively typing but need a particular key not quite sure which one it is.

How do you know the caps will fit your keyboard? It looks like the "Preh" in the name is the name of a brand of keyboard - with prices ranging from $100 to 250 with most in the $200 - 250 range. No wonder they have replacement keys. Are these just the caps? Any idea how easy they are to replace?

See sometimes when you post in the forum people come to you with questions instead of the other way around as usual.