Fastest IDE drive?

kkrouse

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2005
Hi

I am going to need a couple of internal ide drives. I had two mismatched drives that are going to go for other purposes. The only twist is that I have a promise fasttrack pci raid controller. ( not sata unfortunatly) I want to buy two matched drives and setup raid 1 . Most comparisons are on Sata drives now and it is not as easy to find reviews. I also am wondering if ata 133 slows down seek times as compared to ata 100.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
ATA/100, ATA/133 and SATA all provide about the same speed because drives can't use all the bandwidth.

Samsung has their new spinpoint drives, and Maxtor has the Maxline - they're the fastest outside of a Raptor, but I don't know if they come PATA or just SATA. Outside of them, Seagate, WD, Maxtor, to me they're all so close it doesn't matter.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Correction: It's the spinpoint "P" series for Samsung that's darn fast - the spinpoints go all the way down to 5400 rpm and you don't want that. :)

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Get the Western Digital Caviar SE series, as large as you can afford, 200 or 250GB would be good. Reliable and very fast. ATA133 doesn't make any difference to anything, especially not your seek time.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I used a Samsung drive a number of years ago, and had no problems, so I'd say they're reliable enough. No idea on recent ones - I prefer Seagate.

Mike.