Will i lose Windows XP!!!!!!! HELP

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
Hi i am going to upgrade my PC, my current PC is old and i am thinking of replacing the Hard Drive, the thing is that my current Hard Drive has XP on it and i was supplied no disk. (packard Bell). My current PC Does not support 2 HDD so i cannot back up, so what can i do, is there a way i can make a XP disk from the XP files on my PC?

please help bye!

the turk

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All PC's can support 2 hard drives. Figure it out.

Otherwise you could back up to a USB drive, then re-install to the new drive. PowerQuest DriveImage works well for that if you pick the correct options: Keep the old drive around until you're certain the new one has been restored correctly.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

I cannot imagine any company selling you a PC and not allowing for a reinstallation of the OP/SYS, did you actually buy this PC yourself or get it from someone else?

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

I know the code, so if i use sombody elses disk can i install from there use my code and still be valid?

As in the ID sticker on the computer itself, if you have that legally, sometimes your local computer store will burn you an installation disk for the price of the CD disk that they burnt the image onto, [usually about 5 bucks or so], if you take the computer to them and show them you have a legally licenced machine.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

G

Let me tell you a well kept secret:you can download win xp sp2...thats right! Get a torrent client, type winxp torrents in google get it burn it(scan it for virus b4 heh). And guess what it would be 95% legal (wich is better than 50% of the ppl out there).

The cd is just a support what really matter is the license! Also you can workaround the activaiton if needed!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You know there's a tool out there called RockXP that allows you to view your windows key (and even change it)? I use it with customer's systems when they loose their keys.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
So long as it's the same version, it shouldn't be a problem. For example, XP Home OEM CD's should work with an XP Home OEM key, XP Pro OEM CD's should work with an XP Pro OEM key, XP Pro Upgrade CD's should work with an XP Pro Upgrade CD, etc.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Not 100% certain, but I don't think so.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>