Download 98SE files on XP?

July 26, 2005 12:40:35 PM

I have a WIN98SE PC that needs a modem driver. I thought that I would be able
to download it to my XP machine, and put it on a CD-RW, and then install it on
the 98SE machine. All goes well until I put the CD into the drive on the 98SE
PC, where not only can I not operate the setup file, but it will not even read
all the files on the CD. Is this because of the different file systems, NTFS vs.
FAT? Anybody got any ideas on this? Thanks in Advance, ...
Dick M.

More about : download 98se files

July 26, 2005 12:40:36 PM

Dick Mahar wrote:

> I have a WIN98SE PC that needs a modem driver. I thought that I
> would be able
> to download it to my XP machine, and put it on a CD-RW, and then
> install it on the 98SE machine. All goes well until I put the CD into
> the drive on the 98SE PC, where not only can I not operate the setup
> file, but it will not even read all the files on the CD. Is this
> because of the different file systems, NTFS vs. FAT? Anybody got any
> ideas on this? Thanks in Advance, ... Dick M.

This has nothing to do with the file system. It is probably because you
are creating the cd with a packet-writing program like InCD or Roxio's
version. When you do that, you must have the same program installed on
the target machine or a udf reader. A better solution is to not use the
packet-writing program to do this and burn the modem drivers to a cd-r
instead.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

NTFS does not normally get set up on CDs.

How did you send the driver file to the CD?

"Dick Mahar" <rmahar01@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D MWdnSH5kZzfsnvfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
> I have a WIN98SE PC that needs a modem driver. I thought that I would be
> able
> to download it to my XP machine, and put it on a CD-RW, and then install
> it on
> the 98SE machine. All goes well until I put the CD into the drive on the
> 98SE
> PC, where not only can I not operate the setup file, but it will not even
> read
> all the files on the CD. Is this because of the different file systems,
> NTFS vs.
> FAT? Anybody got any ideas on this? Thanks in Advance, ...
> Dick M.

July 26, 2005 1:59:12 PM

> NTFS does not normally get set up on CDs.
>
> How did you send the driver file to the CD?

I downloaded to a new folder, and extracted the Zip file to another, and
"Click-and-Draggged" it to the CD, all on the XP Machine, then brought the CD to
the 98SE.

> "Dick Mahar" <rmahar01@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:D MWdnSH5kZzfsnvfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
> > I have a WIN98SE PC that needs a modem driver. I thought that I would be
> > able
> > to download it to my XP machine, and put it on a CD-RW, and then install
> > it on
> > the 98SE machine. All goes well until I put the CD into the drive on the
> > 98SE
> > PC, where not only can I not operate the setup file, but it will not even
> > read
> > all the files on the CD. Is this because of the different file systems,
> > NTFS vs.
> > FAT? Anybody got any ideas on this? Thanks in Advance, ...
> > Dick M.

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:02:09 PM

> Dick Mahar wrote:
>
> > I have a WIN98SE PC that needs a modem driver. I thought that I
> > would be able
> > to download it to my XP machine, and put it on a CD-RW, and then
> > install it on the 98SE machine. All goes well until I put the CD into
> > the drive on the 98SE PC, where not only can I not operate the setup
> > file, but it will not even read all the files on the CD. Is this
> > because of the different file systems, NTFS vs. FAT? Anybody got any
> > ideas on this? Thanks in Advance, ... Dick M.
>
> This has nothing to do with the file system. It is probably because you
> are creating the cd with a packet-writing program like InCD or Roxio's
> version. When you do that, you must have the same program installed on
> the target machine or a udf reader. A better solution is to not use the
> packet-writing program to do this and burn the modem drivers to a cd-r
> instead.

That is exactly what happened. I used NERO Incd, which is on both machines.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it with a CD-R, unformatted. Thanks again,

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
July 26, 2005 2:02:10 PM

Dick Mahar wrote:

> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> Dick Mahar wrote:
>>
>> > I have a WIN98SE PC that needs a modem driver. I thought that I
>> > would be able
>> > to download it to my XP machine, and put it on a CD-RW, and then
>> > install it on the 98SE machine. All goes well until I put the CD
>> > into the drive on the 98SE PC, where not only can I not operate the
>> > setup file, but it will not even read all the files on the CD. Is
>> > this because of the different file systems, NTFS vs. FAT? Anybody
>> > got any ideas on this? Thanks in Advance, ... Dick M.
>>
>> This has nothing to do with the file system. It is probably because
>> you are creating the cd with a packet-writing program like InCD or
>> Roxio's version. When you do that, you must have the same program
>> installed on the target machine or a udf reader. A better solution is
>> to not use the packet-writing program to do this and burn the modem
>> drivers to a cd-r instead.
>
> That is exactly what happened. I used NERO Incd, which is on both
> machines.
> Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it with a CD-R, unformatted.
> Thanks again,

You're welcome.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:18:03 PM

Then, XP should have told you that "Files are ready.." to have the CD
created. Apparently, XP does not send the file directly to CD. You need to
create the CD after.

> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> NTFS does not normally get set up on CDs.
>>
>> How did you send the driver file to the CD?
>
> I downloaded to a new folder, and extracted the Zip file to another, and
> "Click-and-Draggged" it to the CD, all on the XP Machine, then brought the
> CD to
> the 98SE.
>>

>> "Dick Mahar" <rmahar01@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:D MWdnSH5kZzfsnvfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
>> > I have a WIN98SE PC that needs a modem driver. I thought that I would
>> > be
>> > able
>> > to download it to my XP machine, and put it on a CD-RW, and then
>> > install
>> > it on
>> > the 98SE machine. All goes well until I put the CD into the drive on
>> > the
>> > 98SE
>> > PC, where not only can I not operate the setup file, but it will not
>> > even
>> > read
>> > all the files on the CD. Is this because of the different file systems,
>> > NTFS vs.
>> > FAT? Anybody got any ideas on this? Thanks in Advance, ...
>> > Dick M.

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:20:41 PM

I do not rely on XP native CD creation system. Use Roxio or Nero. If you
use Roxio's Drag to CD or Ahead's (Nero) InCD, make sure you install the
corresponding "reader" on the destination PC.

"Dick Mahar" <rmahar01@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> NTFS does not normally get set up on CDs.
>>
>> How did you send the driver file to the CD?
>
> I downloaded to a new folder, and extracted the Zip file to another, and
> "Click-and-Draggged" it to the CD, all on the XP Machine, then brought the
> CD to
> the 98SE.
>>

>> "Dick Mahar" <rmahar01@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:D MWdnSH5kZzfsnvfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
>> > I have a WIN98SE PC that needs a modem driver. I thought that I would
>> > be
>> > able
>> > to download it to my XP machine, and put it on a CD-RW, and then
>> > install
>> > it on
>> > the 98SE machine. All goes well until I put the CD into the drive on
>> > the
>> > 98SE
>> > PC, where not only can I not operate the setup file, but it will not
>> > even
>> > read
>> > all the files on the CD. Is this because of the different file systems,
>> > NTFS vs.
>> > FAT? Anybody got any ideas on this? Thanks in Advance, ...
>> > Dick M.

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:36:28 PM

Dick

InCD is a PITA..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Dick Mahar" <rmahar01@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D MWdnSH5kZzfsnvfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
> I have a WIN98SE PC that needs a modem driver. I thought that I would be
> able
> to download it to my XP machine, and put it on a CD-RW, and then install
> it on
> the 98SE machine. All goes well until I put the CD into the drive on the
> 98SE
> PC, where not only can I not operate the setup file, but it will not even
> read
> all the files on the CD. Is this because of the different file systems,
> NTFS vs.
> FAT? Anybody got any ideas on this? Thanks in Advance, ...
> Dick M.

July 26, 2005 4:00:53 PM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:40:35 -0400, "Dick Mahar"
<rmahar01@comcast.net> wrote:

>I would be able
>to download it to my XP machine, and put it on a CD-RW, and then install it on
>the 98SE machine.

Don't do that if taking it to another machine. Just burn it to a
CD-R. I have seen a lot of undetermined problems when trying to share
CD-RW's between different systems. I have three machines (all three
running Nero Ultra Edition 6.6.0.15) and two of them can share
CD-RW's but the third just will not accept them from the other two
machines. Could be any number of reasons why but no big deal, CD-R's
cost so little and networks are so easy to setup for files sharing.
Just burn it to a CD-R and be done with the transfer.

Regards,
Ed
July 26, 2005 8:58:55 PM

Really, why? I use it all the time and have never had any problems.

Alias

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote

> Dick
>
> InCD is a PITA..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Dick Mahar" <rmahar01@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:D MWdnSH5kZzfsnvfRVn-gw@comcast.com...
>> I have a WIN98SE PC that needs a modem driver. I thought that I would be
>> able
>> to download it to my XP machine, and put it on a CD-RW, and then install
>> it on
>> the 98SE machine. All goes well until I put the CD into the drive on the
>> 98SE
>> PC, where not only can I not operate the setup file, but it will not even
>> read
>> all the files on the CD. Is this because of the different file systems,
>> NTFS vs.
>> FAT? Anybody got any ideas on this? Thanks in Advance, ...
>> Dick M.

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 8:58:56 PM

Alias

I have used it to store stuff for a specific machine, but I have found that
not all machines running the software will necessarily accept a CD created
on mine..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User