[40k] A Tale of RGMW Gamers summary - Month 2

Joakim/jockelinde: Chaos Space Marines - Death Guard

Chaos Space Marine Lieutenant: Mark of Nurgle, Daemonic Mutation. Great weapon,
Terminator armour.

7 Plague Marines: Bolter, plague knife. Plasma gun. Aspiring Champion.
7 Plague Marines: Bolter, plague knife. Plasma gun. Aspiring Champion.
7 Plaguebearers

Total: 496pts
Saved: £1

smithdoerr: Tyranids (still awaiting Month 2)

Hive Tyrant
3 Tyrant Guard

2 Ripper Swarms

Ravener

Saved: £1

Kenneth Coble: Lost and the Damned

Arch Heretic: Mark of Nurgle, Nurgle's Rot. Bolter, plague sword.

4 Big Mutants: 1 Heavy stubber. Big Boss Mutant with heavy stubber.
5 Plague Marines: Bolters, plague knives. Plasma gun.

14 Traitors: Lasguns. Grenade launcher, missile launcher. Agitator with
laspistol
and power fist.
14 Traitors: Lasguns. Grenade launcher, autocannon. Agitator with laspistol
and power fist.
14 Traitors: Lasguns. Grenade launcher, mortar. Agitator with laspistol
and power weapon.
18 Plague Zombies

Total: 999pts
Saved:-US$1

GLSwanson: Tau (still awaiting Month 2)

Shas'el: Plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker, drone controller with 2
shield
drones.
2 Shas'vre: Plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker.

12 Fire Warriors: Shas'ui.
12 Kroot

8 Gun Drones

Total: 577pts
Saved: US$10

Tim/Helicon One: Daemonhunters

Army to date

Inquisitor Lord: Plasma pistol.
Retinue - 3 Warrior Henchmen: Hellguns, targeters, frag & krak grenades.

10 Storm Troopers: Flamer.
5 Storm Troopers: 2 meltaguns
7 Grey Knights: Incinerator. Justicar.

Total: 455pts
Saved: £7

Xis: Necrons

Necron Lord

6 Necron Immortals

10 Necron Warriors
10 Necron Warriors

5 Scarab Swarms
3 Necron Destroyers

Total: 838pts
Saved: US$0

John Hwang: Tau

Month 1

Shas'el: Twin-linked plasma rifles, hard-wired drone controller with shield
drone.

12 Fire Warriors: Shas'ui with markerlight and hard-wired target lock.
12 Kroot

5 Gun Drones

2 Broadside Battlesuits each with 2 shield drones. Shas'vre.

Hammerhead Gunship: Railgun, two burst cannon.

Total: 740pts
Saved: US$0

At the end of month 2 points costs are generally lower in 40k than in WFB, no
doubt partly because of several all-metal 40k armies. Ken Coble's Lost and the
Damned currently lead in points, but GLSwanson and smithdoerr have yet to make
month 2 purchases.

Philip Bowles

P Bowles wrote:

> John Hwang: Tau
> Month 1
> Shas'el: Twin-linked plasma rifles, hard-wired drone controller with shield
> drone.
>
> 12 Fire Warriors: Shas'ui with markerlight and hard-wired target lock.
> 12 Kroot
>
> 5 Gun Drones
>
> 2 Broadside Battlesuits each with 2 shield drones. Shas'vre.
> Hammerhead Gunship: Railgun, two burst cannon.
>
> Total: 740pts
> Saved: US$0

Month 3 adds:
Devilfish Squad ($50 USD, $0 saved).
VetSgt w/ Markerlight & Splitfire.

> At the end of month 2 points costs are generally lower in 40k than in WFB, no
> doubt partly because of several all-metal 40k armies.

Nah, it's because WFB can spend $10 USD to buy a 100 or 200 pt Wizard,
and take multiples...

\-|-/

P Bowles wrote:

> Kenneth Coble: Lost and the Damned
>
> Arch Heretic: Mark of Nurgle, Nurgle's Rot. Bolter, plague sword.
>
> 4 Big Mutants: 1 Heavy stubber. Big Boss Mutant with heavy stubber.
> 5 Plague Marines: Bolters, plague knives. Plasma gun.
>
> 14 Traitors: Lasguns. Grenade launcher, missile launcher. Agitator
> with laspistol and power fist.
> 14 Traitors: Lasguns. Grenade launcher, autocannon. Agitator with
> laspistol and power fist.
> 14 Traitors: Lasguns. Grenade launcher, mortar. Agitator with
> laspistol and power weapon.
> 18 Plague Zombies
>
> Total: 999pts
> Saved:-US$1

Month 3:
I preface this by saying that after some cunning use of eBay, I am going to
actually build this army. One of the many items I found cheap was a box of
Empire Knights, and as I look at them, I feel like I can actually make them
into a half-way decent looking Rough Rider unit. Primarily, I'll be using
Cadian heads rather than the ornate Empire Knight ones. Hopefully this,
plus some high-tech doo-dads and a paint job that looks more like some kind
of ceramic or composite armor rather than steel, will bring them close
enough thematically to the rest of my Traitor Guardsmen that it won't be
_too_ horrible. I haven't decided yet if the RR grenade launchers will be
made from leftover Cadian GLs (for thematic consistency) or those Ork
shootas that look similar to the GL (with the big drum magazine).

I'm bulking out my Big Mutant unit, mostly because I can do it cheaply (100
pts for US$8.50). The RRs will give me some much-needed mobility, as well as
being power-armor hunters. As I mentioned in another post, I might equip
them with meltabombs for tank hunting, if I can ever figure out how
meltabombs will interact with the single-shot, mandatory first attack use of
the hunting lances. This month the army comes up close to my arbitrary 1250
build point, which, while I haven't heard it mentioned before, seems to fit
nicely between 1000 and 1500 point lists. Finally, I'm adding in the last
Plague Marine from that first box I purchased, making 6 Plague Marines in
addition to my Arch-Heretic. Now having said that, here's the relatively
boring third month of my list:

Budget: $50
Debt from last month: -$1
1 box WFB Empire Knights: -$30
Ork Boyz sprue: -$8.50

Leaves a $10.50 surplus.

+4 big mutants: +100pts

Rough Riders unit: +101pts
7 riders + vetsarge (+70)
+5 hunting lances (+15)
+2 GLs
+CCW/Laspistol (for vetsarg, free)

So, here's the updated list:

Updated Army List:
Arch Heretic w/ Mark of Nurgle, Bolter, Plague Sword, Nurgle's Rot - 87pts
Big Mutants x7, with 1 Hvy Stubber - 240pts
-- Big Boss Mutant w/ Hvy Stubber
Allied Plague Marines (elite) x6, w/ Bolters, 1 PG - 124 pts
Traitor Troops (compulsory ) x14, w/ Lasguns, 1 GL, 1 ML team - 170pts
--Agitator w/ Power Fist, laspistol
Traitor Troops x14, w/ Lasguns, 1 GL, 1 AC team - 170pts
--Agitator w/ Power Fist, laspistol
Traitor Troops x14, w/ Lasguns, 1 GL, 1 Mortar team - 165pts
--Agitator w/ Power Weapon, laspistol
Plague Zombies x20 - 180pts
Rough Riders x7: 5x H. Lances, 2x GLs - 102 pts
--Vetsarge w/CCW+LP
1238 pts, 88 models

What lies in wait for next month? Mutants! Mobs and mobs of mutants!
Grandfather Nurgle is spreading his influence even further out into the
populace of this isolated agri-world...

--
Ken Coble

....for Drake held it as a religious conviction that the State had no
business imposing on him with taxes and tariffs, and considered
smuggling not just a good idea but a sacred observance...

Neal Stephenson, _Quicksilver_

"P Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> GLSwanson: Tau (still awaiting Month 2)
>
> Shas'el: Plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker, drone controller with 2
> shield
> drones.
> 2 Shas'vre: Plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker.
>
> 12 Fire Warriors: Shas'ui.
> 12 Kroot
>
> 8 Gun Drones
>
> Total: 577pts
> Saved: US$10

> At the end of month 2 points costs are generally lower in 40k than in WFB,
no
> doubt partly because of several all-metal 40k armies. Ken Coble's Lost and
the
> Damned currently lead in points, but GLSwanson and smithdoerr have yet to
make
> month 2 purchases.
>
> Philip Bowles

I'll volunteer for Mr. GLSwanson: Tau if he is dropping out.... :)

"Desert Lurker" <ironavengers.spam@ridgenet.net> wrote in message

> "P Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> GLSwanson: Tau (still awaiting Month 2)
>>
>> Shas'el: Plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker, drone controller with 2
>> shield
>> drones.
>> 2 Shas'vre: Plasma rifle, missile pod, multitracker.
>>
>> 12 Fire Warriors: Shas'ui.
>> 12 Kroot
>>
>> 8 Gun Drones
>>
>> Total: 577pts
>> Saved: US$10
>
>> At the end of month 2 points costs are generally lower in 40k than in
>> WFB,
> no
>> doubt partly because of several all-metal 40k armies. Ken Coble's Lost
>> and
> the
>> Damned currently lead in points, but GLSwanson and smithdoerr have yet to
> make
>> month 2 purchases.
>>
>> Philip Bowles
>
> I'll volunteer for Mr. GLSwanson: Tau if he is dropping out.... :)

Don't you already have your hands full with High Elves/Empire?

Philip Bowles

Who, me?

Well it depends on if our tale is published or not... (I really wish
The current tale of X gamers was in the USWD)

I would not commit to Really Building Tau at this point int time
(though I did find some cheap Gundam Toys For Crisis Suits) But it
would still be a fun mind exercise

The Empire is still an inventory away from really thinking too hard
about what to buy. Besides the Idea is to buy from scratch and I'm just
fleshing out the army for 6th ed.

However, You are in charge so I will abide by your decision.
Joe "One Google to rule them all" Boster

Philip Bowles wrote:
> "Desert Lurker" <ironavengers.spam@ridgenet.net> wrote ...
>>I'll volunteer for Mr. GLSwanson: Tau if he is dropping out.... :)
>
> Don't you already have your hands full with High Elves/Empire?

Considering that this is virtual, and Usenet, who cares how many armies
he does?

\-|-/

"John Hwang" <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message
> Philip Bowles wrote:
> > "Desert Lurker" <ironavengers.spam@ridgenet.net> wrote ...
> >>I'll volunteer for Mr. GLSwanson: Tau if he is dropping out.... :)
> >
> > Don't you already have your hands full with High Elves/Empire?
>
> Considering that this is virtual, and Usenet, who cares how many armies
> he does?
And on that note:
Month 1 looked like Tau Battleforce for $90 = $10 left
Month 2"
Cadian Schock troops (20) $30
Fire Warriors (12) $30

Month 3
Hammerhead $40
$10 left over
Was Just noticing all the prces went up on the web site. Thanks for making
my catalog Obsolete. This altered my choices a bit....

Army List:
Unnamed2000 Pts - Tau Army

1 Commander Shas'o (HQ) @ 261 Pts
Missile Pod
Plasma Rifle
Multi-Tracker
Hard-wired target lock [7]
Hard-wired drone controller [2]

2 Bodyguard @ [142] Pts
Burst Cannon
Plasma Rifle
Multi-Tracker

11 Fire Warriors (Troops) @ 184 Pts
Pulse Rifle (x11)
Photon Grenades
Bonded

1 Shas'ui @ [53] Pts
Pulse Rifle
Photon Grenades
Hard-wired drone controller [2]

2 Drones @ [30] Pts
Shield Generator (x2)

12 Kroot Carnivores (Troops) @ 84 Pts
Kroot Rifle

11 Fire Warriors (Troops) @ 154 Pts
Pulse Rifle (x11)
Photon Grenades

1 Shas'ui @ [33] Pts
Pulse Rifle
Photon Grenades
Hard-wired drone controller [2]

1 Drones @ [10] Pts
TL Pulse Carbine (x1)

9 Gue'vesa'la Human Auxiliaries (Troops) @ 86 Pts
Lasgun (x7)
Pulse Carbine (x2)

1 Gue'vesa'ui "Bob"@ [26] Pts
Lasgun (x1)
Markerlight

9 Gue'vesa'la Human Auxiliaries (Troops) @ 86 Pts
Lasgun (x7)
Pulse Carbine (x2)

1 Gue'vesa'ui @ [26] Pts
Lasgun (x1)
Markerlight

7 Fire Warriors (Troops) @ 190 Pts
Pulse Carbine (x4)
Pulse Rifle (x3)
Photon Grenades

1 Shas'ui @ [33] Pts
Pulse Rifle
Photon Grenades
Hard-wired drone controller [2]

1 Drones @ [10] Pts
TL Pulse Carbine (x1)

1 Devilfish Dropship @ [80] Pts
Burst Cannon
Landing Gear
#Pair of Gun Drones [0]

2 Gun Drones @ [0] Pts
TL Pulse Carbine (x2)

6 Gun Drones (Fast Attack) @ 72 Pts
TL Pulse Carbine (x6)

1 Hammerhead Gunship (Heavy Support) @ 210 Pts
Railgun
Smart Missile System
Landing Gear
#Targeting Array [0]
Seeker Missile [40]
Target Lock [5]
Decoy Launcher [5]

Models in Army: 81

Total Army Cost: 1327

How'd I do?

Desert Lurker wrote:
> "John Hwang" <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote ...

>>Considering that this is virtual, and Usenet, who cares how many
>>armies he does?
>
> And on that note:
> Month 1 - Tau Battleforce for $90 = $10 left

Standard start for Tau. :)

> Month 2
> Cadian Schock troops (20) $30
> Fire Warriors (12) $30

Always good to add more Troops.

> Month 3
> Hammerhead $40
> $10 left over

Also a good pick.

> Total Army Cost: 1327
>
> How'd I do?

Not bad at all. Good call on the Cadians, BTW.

\-|-/

> "John Hwang" <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message
>> Philip Bowles wrote:
>> > "Desert Lurker" <ironavengers.spam@ridgenet.net> wrote ...
>> >
>> > Don't you already have your hands full with High Elves/Empire?
>>
>> Considering that this is virtual, and Usenet, who cares how many armies
>> he does?
> And on that note:
> Month 1 looked like Tau Battleforce for $90 = $10 left
> Month 2"
> Cadian Schock troops (20) $30
> Fire Warriors (12) $30
>
> Month 3
> Hammerhead $40
> $10 left over

> 9 Gue'vesa'la Human Auxiliaries (Troops) @ 86 Pts
> Lasgun (x7)
> Pulse Carbine (x2)
>
> 1 Gue'vesa'ui "Bob"@ [26] Pts
> Lasgun (x1)
> Markerlight
>
> 9 Gue'vesa'la Human Auxiliaries (Troops) @ 86 Pts
> Lasgun (x7)
> Pulse Carbine (x2)
>
> 1 Gue'vesa'ui @ [26] Pts
> Lasgun (x1)
> Markerlight

Okay, they make decent models, but gamewise ... why?

> 7 Fire Warriors (Troops) @ 190 Pts
> Pulse Carbine (x4)
> Pulse Rifle (x3)
> Photon Grenades
>
> 1 Shas'ui @ [33] Pts
> Pulse Rifle
> Photon Grenades
> Hard-wired drone controller [2]
>
> 1 Drones @ [10] Pts
> TL Pulse Carbine (x1)
>
> 1 Devilfish Dropship @ [80] Pts
> Burst Cannon
> Landing Gear
> #Pair of Gun Drones [0]

No decoy launchers?

Philip Bowles

"P Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message

> Hive Tyrant
> 3 Tyrant Guard
>
> 2 Ripper Swarms
>
> Ravener
>
> Saved: £1

Right, well I guess I've agonized over month 2's buys for long enough (haha
yeah right I'm just a lazy procrastinator). We're into month 3 after all so
here goes month 2...

As noted in last month's battle report my Sticky Tyranids didn't perform
quite as well as I had expected. In fact, they didn't really perform at all
as my entire army was wiped out by turn 3 without ever getting anywhere near
the enemy where they could chop and slice and stab and rip and tear and
pierce and squish and shred and chop some more and ...ehem...well you get
the idea. Although to be fair, some of my nids sort of "performed" in an
agonizing semi-Shakespearian death scene sort of way so I guess that's
something (another coat of varnish on the crickets-turned-rippers should
keep that from happening again!).

So anyways, obviously I need to figure out a way to get my big choppy bugs,
especially the queen and her whip toting S&M boys, across the table in one
piece so they can get into melee and do their thing. And the only way to do
that is with wings!

£1 from last month gives me £26 total in bank for this month.

2 Bloodthirster wings at £4 each leaves me £18.

I had thought about going with the plastic dragon wings like every other
Tyranid player on the planet but when I saw the kewl diamonoid jewel things
on the 'thirster wings I thought "Bling bling! All the other queens would be
soooooo jealous of my pimped up Tyrant if I got those!" and just had to have
them. Only problem is now I'll actually have to read the mutated strain
species or strained mutants or whatever-the-hell-they-are bit in the back of
the Nid's codex. Oh well, if worse comes to worse I'll just use army
builder and keep jamming options into the list until that stupid exclamation
point indicating that my army is illegal goes away.

So what else to get...

1 Carnifex at £18 leaves me with £0.

Why a 'fex? Well partly because I had exactly £18 left so it must be, like,
fate or something. But mostly because if one big scary hth monster is good
then two must be better. Sure he's going to be stuck walking across the
table like the Tyrant was last battle but now my opponents will be so
distracted by my queen's lovely wings he won't even notice Ol' Mr. Choppy
headed his way. Plus I noticed I only had 2 Ripper Swarms when I should
have had 6 to make the two legal troop units I need (this is probably why I
lost last month!) so after tearing the Ripper's cardboard bases into thirds
(keeping most of each bug on just one base) I now have 6 swarms to distract
and screen my Carnifex. (Hmmmm, should probably read the rules on that last
bit before my next battle. Nah, I'm sure my opponents will play by the
spirit of the rules instead of being a rules lawyer jerks...)

So after two months here is my army list:

The Sticky Tyranids Swarm

1 Mutable Hive Tyrant (HQ) @ 301 Pts
Adrenal Glands (In); Adrenal Glands (WS); Extended Carapace; Toxin
Sacs;
Wings; Scything Talons (x2); Flesh Hooks
#Synapse Creature [0]
#The Horror [0]

3 Tyrant Guard @ [138] Pts
Lash Whip; Rending Claws; Spineshield; Flesh Hooks

3 Ripper Swarm (Troops) @ 30 Pts

3 Ripper Swarm (Troops) @ 30 Pts

1 Raveners (Fast Attack) @ 45 Pts
Rending Claws (x1); Scything Talons (x1)

1 Carnifex (Heavy Support) @ 116 Pts
Scything Talons (x2); Extended Carapace

Models in Army: 12

Total Army Cost: 522

I'll give these guys a couple test runs on the battlefield before deciding
on month 3 purchases. See you next time!

--

-smithdoerr

"Philip Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
> > And on that note:
> > Month 1 looked like Tau Battleforce for $90 = $10 left
> > Month 2"
> > Cadian Schock troops (20) $30
> > Fire Warriors (12) $30
> >
> > Month 3
> > Hammerhead $40
> > $10 left over
>
> > 9 Gue'vesa'la Human Auxiliaries (Troops) @ 86 Pts
> > Lasgun (x7)
> > Pulse Carbine (x2)
> >
> > 1 Gue'vesa'ui "Bob"@ [26] Pts
> > Lasgun (x1)
> > Markerlight
> >
> > 9 Gue'vesa'la Human Auxiliaries (Troops) @ 86 Pts
> > Lasgun (x7)
> > Pulse Carbine (x2)
> >
> > 1 Gue'vesa'ui @ [26] Pts
> > Lasgun (x1)
> > Markerlight
> >
> Okay, they make decent models, but gamewise ... why?

Cannon Fodder

> > 7 Fire Warriors (Troops) @ 190 Pts
> > Pulse Carbine (x4)
> > Pulse Rifle (x3)
> > Photon Grenades
> >
> > 1 Shas'ui @ [33] Pts
> > Pulse Rifle
> > Photon Grenades
> > Hard-wired drone controller [2]
> >
> > 1 Drones @ [10] Pts
> > TL Pulse Carbine (x1)
> >
> > 1 Devilfish Dropship @ [80] Pts
> > Burst Cannon
> > Landing Gear
> > #Pair of Gun Drones [0]
>
> No decoy launchers?

oops!

> "Philip Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
>> > And on that note:
>> > Month 1 looked like Tau Battleforce for $90 = $10 left
>> > Month 2"
>> > Cadian Schock troops (20) $30
>> > Fire Warriors (12) $30
>> >
>> > Month 3
>> > Hammerhead $40
>> > $10 left over
>>
>> > 9 Gue'vesa'la Human Auxiliaries (Troops) @ 86 Pts
>> > Lasgun (x7)
>> > Pulse Carbine (x2)
>> >
>> > 1 Gue'vesa'ui "Bob"@ [26] Pts
>> > Lasgun (x1)
>> > Markerlight
>> >
>> > 9 Gue'vesa'la Human Auxiliaries (Troops) @ 86 Pts
>> > Lasgun (x7)
>> > Pulse Carbine (x2)
>> >
>> > 1 Gue'vesa'ui @ [26] Pts
>> > Lasgun (x1)
>> > Markerlight
>> >
>> Okay, they make decent models, but gamewise ... why?
>
> Cannon Fodder

They make pretty dreadful cannon fodder - they're only a point cheaper than
Kroot and considerably worse. It's a shame, since the idea's good, but
Gue'vesa really are completely worthless.

Philip Bowles

> "Desert Lurker" <ironavengers.spam@ridgenet.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Philip Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message

> >> Okay, they make decent models, but gamewise ... why?
> >
> > Cannon Fodder
>
> They make pretty dreadful cannon fodder - they're only a point cheaper
than
> Kroot and considerably worse. It's a shame, since the idea's good, but
> Gue'vesa really are completely worthless.
>
> Philip Bowles

But I don't *like* the kroot. I only have 1 unit because the came with
battleforce box. If I could swap my kroot for equal amount of Cadians I
would.
There are more important things than how a unit performs. Otherwise I'd go
back to playing with Cardboard Chits.
And Again as we are going for dollar value I get 20 cadians for the same $$
as 16 kroot

Necrons, Month 3:

During my last game, I had a lot of problems dealing with my friend's
high-toughness Talos, so this month I purchased a Heavy Destroyer.
I also fleshed out my Immortals unit a little by purchasing two more.

$50 Monthly Allowance
-$25 Heavy Destroyer
-$20 2 Immortals
-----
$5 Leftover

Here's my purchases to-date:

360 20 Necron Warriors @ 18 pts each
150 3 Necron Destroyers @ 50 pts each
60 5 Scarab Swarms @ 12 pts each
224 8 Necron Immortals @ 28 pts each
100 1 Necron Lord @100 pts
65 1 Heavy Destroyer @ 65 pts
-----

959 Total

To test out my new purchases, I played another 1000-pt game against the Dark
Eldar. I fielded most of the above, but I had to leave three Immortals at
home so I could afford a Veil of Darkness and Resurrection Orb for my Lord.

We rolled for our mission, and it came up Take and Hold. It seemed as though
this was good for the very durable Necrons, and bad for the very fragile
Dark Eldar.

We played under Omega-level rules for the first time, and found them to be
.... interesting. Thanks to the Escalation rule and some lopsided dice
rolling, most of my army showed up and marched into the middle of the
battlefield, while his languished off-table. I got a couple of pot-shots off
against his army (my Heavy Destroyer causing two wounds on his Talos) while
he tried to huddle under cover, waiting for the remainder to show up. While
he waited, he charged his Talos into my army. I had manuevered my scarabs
out front, so he charged them. The mighty Talos crushed them all in one
turn, which ended up being very very bad for the Dark Eldar player, as it
left the Talos a sitting duck for my next turn's firing. I concentrated my
entire army's fire and destroyed it that turn.

By this time, the rest of the Dark Eldar had arrived. My opponent tried to
charge me with everything at me at once, but misjudged some of the
distances, and ended up with his Jet Bikes just out of range of
hand-to-hand. Over the next several turns, my stationary Necrons blew up
anything that came into line-of-sight. The game ended on turn eight, I had
lost only one unit (the scarabs) and he had lost all of his army but two or
three miniatures.

I was pretty happy; it was my first strong victory with my Necrons, and the
first victory any of us had had against my friend's Dark Eldar.

I also played a 750-pt game against the Tau, and the results were similar,
but not as lopsided. We rolled Take-and-Hold again. Not much to say here; my
friend rolled badly on his to-hit and to-wound rolls, and I rolled well on
my armor save and we'll-be-back rolls. I think my best move in the game was
when I charged my Scarabs into his Crisis Suits; they caused no casualties,
but prevented him from doing anything useful with them for many turns. I
ended up with a solid victory, but it was tainted - we later discovered that
I messed up and rolled too many shots against one of his Fire Warrior units
the turn I caused them to break and run off the table. Oops!