Heavy Network traffic seems to crash my machine

Hi,

I'm having a very frustrating problem with a Windows XP machine, it seems to
freeze when I access the network too much. For example (This is an example
of what MIGHT happen - I can't reproduce the problem but it seem to happen
quite often) if I try to zip a large file or folder over the network at the
same time a opening another file from across the network sometimes the
Desktop will become inaccessible, applications won't start or stop, I can't
even open task manager to forcibly stop what I think is the offending
application (Note: I can still use ALT+TAB to tab through the open
applications and any application the is not relying on the network will
continue to work.) The only way around this seems to hard boot the machine.

No error appear in the event logs.

Can anybody tell me what might be causing this or advise as to how I can
diagnose.

Thanks

Paul
1 answer Last reply
More about heavy network traffic crash machine

    Paul wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having a very frustrating problem with a Windows XP machine, it
    > seems to freeze when I access the network too much. For example (This
    > is an example of what MIGHT happen - I can't reproduce the problem but
    > it seem to happen quite often) if I try to zip a large file or folder
    > over the network at the same time a opening another file from across
    > the network sometimes the Desktop will become inaccessible,
    > applications won't start or stop, I can't even open task manager to
    > forcibly stop what I think is the offending application (Note: I can
    > still use ALT+TAB to tab through the open applications and any
    > application the is not relying on the network will continue to work.)
    > The only way around this seems to hard boot the machine.
    >
    > No error appear in the event logs.

    Assuming the machine is completely virus/malware free, here are some
    things to try (I'm also assuming the network is ethernet since you
    haven't described it). Make one change at a time, testing after each
    change.

    1. Swap out the ethernet cable going to the router or switch or whatever
    you have with a known-working cat5e cable.

    2. Connect the cable to a different port on the router/switch/whatever.

    3. Uninstall the NIC and install a known-working one.

    If you want more information, post back with a better description of
    your computer and the network.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers