Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[WFB] A Tale of RGMW Gamers Summary - Month 2

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 6:09:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

Well, the Tale is still going strong, with most armies approaching the 1,000pt
mark, though Christof hasn't yet made his month 2 purchases. The total number
of armies is up to 9 in WFB, so here they are. I've planned Chris Valera's
purchases based on the order in which he mentioned them (including the
Men-at-Arms he already has) - this will take him into the middle of month 4,
but I'll only list months 1 and 2 here. Perhaps surprisingly, as he's using a
human army (therefore one that needs a lot of low-point troops and cheap
heroes), Donovan Borman is leading the points with his Dogs of War, though once
upgraded Estarriol's High Elves will no doubt be worth as much or more.

Philip Bowles: Dark Elves

Kourzan of Hag Graef, Dark Elf Noble: General. Great weapon, heavy armour, Sea
Dragon Cloak.
Melkhen the Black, Dark Elf Noble: Battle Standard Bearer (Hydra Banner). Hand
weapon, heavy armour.
Hekate, Dark Elf Sorceress: Level 2. Dispel Magic Scroll, Seal of Ghrond, hand
weapon, Dark Steed.

30 Dark Elf Warriors: Spear, hand weapon, light armour, shield. Champion,
standard, musician.
16 Dark Elf Warriors: Repeater crossbow, hand weapon, light armour.
Reaper bolt thrower: 2 crew with hand weapons and light armour.

Total: 998pts
Saved: £0.50

Sam Campbell/manickze: Cult of Slaanesh

Dark Elf Sorceress: General. Mark of Slaanesh. Darkstar Cloak, Dispel Magic
Scroll, hand weapon.
Druchii Anointed: Blade of Ruin, Quickening Blood.

16 Dark Elf Warriors: Mark of Slaanesh. Spear, hand weapon, light armour.
Champion, standard, musician.
12 Devoted of Slaanesh: Two hand weapons.
12 Daemonettes of Slaanesh

Total: 967pts
Saved: AU$12.60

Joe Boster/Desert Lurker: High Elves

Commander Fëanáro: Pure of Heart. Sword of Might, Dragonscale Shield, heavy
armour, Elven steed with ithilmar barding.

21 Spearmen: Spear, hand weapon, light armour, shield. Captain, standard,
musician.
11 Spearmen: Spear, hand weapon, light armour, shield. Captain, standard,
musician
16 Archers: Longbow, hand weapon. Captain
12 Swordmasters of Hoeth: Great weapon, heavy armour. Bladelord.

Total: 928pts
Saved: £0

Chris Valera: Bretonnia

48 Bretonnian Men-at-Arms
2 Dark Pegasi

Saved: £6

estarriol: High Elves

Mage: Level 1. Elven Steed
Mage: Level 1.

16 Spearmen: Captain, standard bearer.
16 Archers: Captain, standard bearer
16 Archers: Captain, standard bearer
8 Silver Helms: Lance, light armour, barded Elven steed.
Repeater bolt thrower

Total: 1,062pts+
Saved: -£3

Joakim Hemsle/Ewok: Wood Elves

Army to date

Glade Guardian: Longbow, Hail of Doom Arrow, light
armour, shield, Amber Amulet
Wood Elf Mage: Level 2. Unicorn, Blade of Fury.
Wood Elf Mage: Level 2

17 Glade Guard: Champion, standard bearer, musician.
5 Archers
5 Archers

Musician
Standard bearer
Elven Steed

Total: 771pts

Christof Bell: Lizardmen

Month 1

Skink Priest

24 Skink Skirmishers
24 Skink Skirmishers

Total: 353pts

Saved: E20

Donovan Borman: Dogs of War

Captain Schornhauser: Hand weapon, heavy armour, shield.
Oleg Bonaduski, Paymaster: Halberd, heavy armour, shield.
Ludwig, Wizard: Level 1
Finka, Wizard: Level 1

Fritze's Fodder - 9 Duellists: Two hand weapons, shields.
Maximillian's Meatshields - 9 Duellists: Two hand weapons, shields.
20 Pikemen: Champion, standard, musician.
20 Pikemen: Champion, standard, musician.
10 Crossbowmen
10 Crossbowmen

The Knights of the Shining Coin - 8 Heavy Cavalry
Champion, standard, musician.

Total: 1,228pts
Saved: US$6

Craig Little (Tomb Kings)

Army to date

Tomb Prince Cambyses II: Light armour, chariot.
Hierophant: Collar of Shapesh, Dispel Scroll
12 Skeleton Soldiers: Bow, musician.
12 Skeleton Soldiers: Bow, musician.
8 Skeleton Soldiers: Bow
3 Tomb Kings Chariots

Total: 698pts
Saved: US$24.50

Month 3 starts here (and Month 2 for Christof).

Philip Bowles
January 29, 2005 10:19:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

Month 1 & 2:

estarriol: High Elves

Mage: Level 1. Elven Steed
Mage: Level 1.

16 Spearmen: Captain, standard bearer.
16 Archers: Captain, standard bearer
16 Archers: Captain, standard bearer
8 Silver Helms: Lance, light armour, barded Elven steed.
Repeater bolt thrower

Total: 1,062pts+
Saved: -£3


Right then, Month 3:

1 Box Spearmen split amongst each unit. £15
1 High Elf Lord figure £7 to act as army commander and lead the Silver Helms
to there doom..... sorry Victory!
Total spend £22, + £3 overspend from last month = £25


Ferdinand's Spears: 21 spears, officer, standard and Musician.
Carlos's Spears: 21 spears, officer, musician and standard.
Isabella's Archers: 14 Archers, standard bearer and officer
Mage, lvl1 Donna Maria who hides in the Silver Helms
Mage, lvl1 Iolanda of Bar who cavorts with the arshers
Alfonso's silver Helms, 8 lancers
Juan Carlos, Army commander (providing the trouble at court rules let him)
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 3:18:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

"P Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20050129100944.07708.00000045@mb-m06.aol.com...
> Well, the Tale is still going strong, with most armies approaching the
> 1,000pt
> mark, though Christof hasn't yet made his month 2 purchases. The total
> number
> of armies is up to 9 in WFB, so here they are.

<Snippety-doo-dah, snippety-ay, my oh my what a wonderfal day>

>
> Craig Little (Tomb Kings)
>
> Army to date
>
> Tomb Prince Cambyses II: Light armour, chariot.
> Hierophant: Collar of Shapesh, Dispel Scroll
> 12 Skeleton Soldiers: Bow, musician.
> 12 Skeleton Soldiers: Bow, musician.
> 8 Skeleton Soldiers: Bow
> 3 Tomb Kings Chariots
>
> Total: 698pts
> Saved: US$24.50
>
> Month 3 starts here:

Well, after playing some virtual battles against the finest tactical minds
throughout the ages, I got my ass thoroughly kicked, trying a different
tactic, I hunted for virtual battles against a chimp with a working
knowledge of Warhammer, failing to find one, I had to settle with Gav
Thorpe.

I still got my ass handed too me. The problem was a lack of co-ordination
between my units, the static bowmen and fast-moving chariots left a huge gap
to be exploited in my lines, and left my Hierophant dangerously exposed as
soon as my unarmored bowmen got run down by opposing cavalry or gunned down
by war machines.

Clearly, I needed some Cavalry of my own as protection, and also a second
Liche Priest as a form of insurance, with that in mind, my Month 3 purchases
were:

$74.50 to spend

2 x Skeleton Horsemen Boxes $60.00
1 x Mounted Liche Priest $5.50
1 x Battle Pilgrim Shields (Bretonnian) $3.00
1 x Bretonnian Battle Standard Torso $5.00

Comes to $73.50, Leaving me an extra $1.00 for Month 4 (woohoo!)

Leaves me with an army that now looks like:
HEROES
Tomb Prince Cambyses III: General, Great Weapon, Armor of the Ages, Chariot
184
Liche Priest Psamtek: Hierophant, Collar of Shapesh, Dispel Scroll, Skeletal
Steed 173
Liche Priest 'Alexandre': Talisman of Protection, Dispel Scroll 155
CORE
7 Skeleton Heavy Horse: Full Command, War Banner 172
8 Skeleton Heavy Horse: Full Command 163
16 Skeleton Warriors: Bows, Champion, Musician 143
16 Skeleton Warriors: Bows, Champion, Musician 143
SPECIAL
3 Skeleton Chariots: Full Command, Icon of the Sacred Eye 220

1353 Points

A quick note: Cambyses III becomes Cambyses II only when I field him as a
Tomb King.

Now, as threatened, here comes a little fluff:

2,000 years before the time of Sigmar, the living people of Nehekhara
attempted to invade Araby and overthrow the reigning Sultan of that land.
The invading forces were led by general Cambyses but were greatly aided by a
Sharafeddine, the treacherous vizier of the city of Al-Biad who acted as a
guide and negotiator between the Nehekharan army and various tribes of
desert nomads.

Once the invaders had a staging post in Al-Biad, they massed for war, and
after a string of victories in coastal settlements along what is now Araby's
infamous Pirate Coast, the Nehekharans summoned re-inforcements and steeled
themselves for an assault on the capital of Araby, Bel-Aliad. It was here
that the tide turned against the invading armies, as they were routed by the
superior forces of the Sultan and were forced to retreat back to Al-Biad.

In his hubris, Cambyses had never even considered defeat and the army wasn't
provisioned for an escape, and they were forced to eat the flesh of their
cohorts beneath the blazing desert sun, an act that began their long slide
into infamy. Using body parts discovered in the desert, fifteen of Araby's
finest sorcerer's cast the most dolorous curse upon the army of Cambyses,
the city of Al-Biad and the descendants of Sharafeddine, which was sealed by
eating the heart of the treacherous vizier.

In Al-Biad, the sky became black, as the sun vanished for ten thousand
generations, leaving the city shrouded in a web of enchanted darkness. The
armies of Nehekhara were instantly killed, but even death was not to end
their torment, as they were revived in a blasphemous mockery of life, to
guard their dark city, and prey on the desert dwellers and any who came too
close to their city.

And there it would have ended, with Al-Biad (literally 'the shunned' or 'the
darkened') spoken in the same hushed tones the Empire reserves for Mordheim,
or Bretonnia reserves for Mousillon, if not for a impetuous Knight Errant of
Bretonnian, Alexandre le Mal, who lead a crusade to conquer Araby's coast
and end the pirate scourge in the name of the Lady. He awakened the curse
once more, and has become it's latest dark victim, a priest of foul gods,
with a spark of his former purity locked in the memory of a mind he no
longer fully controls. All he knows is that the Lost Army of Al-Biad feels
compelled to reach Bretonnia....

As you can probably figure, the few Bretonnian parts purchased this month
are for conversion purposes on the infantry Liche Priest
--
Craig
Related resources
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:19:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

"estarriol" <estarriol@blueyonder.jeansNtshirt.co.uk> wrote in message
news:ctgnjj$82k$1$830fa79f@news.demon.co.uk...
> Month 1 & 2:
>
> estarriol: High Elves
>
> Mage: Level 1. Elven Steed
> Mage: Level 1.
>
> 16 Spearmen: Captain, standard bearer.
> 16 Archers: Captain, standard bearer
> 16 Archers: Captain, standard bearer
> 8 Silver Helms: Lance, light armour, barded Elven steed.
> Repeater bolt thrower
>
> Total: 1,062pts+
> Saved: -£3
>
>
> Right then, Month 3:
>
> 1 Box Spearmen split amongst each unit. £15
> 1 High Elf Lord figure £7 to act as army commander and lead the Silver
> Helms to there doom..... sorry Victory!
> Total spend £22, + £3 overspend from last month = £25
>
>
> Ferdinand's Spears: 21 spears, officer, standard and Musician.
> Carlos's Spears: 21 spears, officer, musician and standard.
> Isabella's Archers: 14 Archers, standard bearer and officer
> Mage, lvl1 Donna Maria who hides in the Silver Helms
> Mage, lvl1 Iolanda of Bar who cavorts with the arshers
> Alfonso's silver Helms, 8 lancers
> Juan Carlos, Army commander (providing the trouble at court rules let him)
>
>
Don't forget the bolt thrower...

Is a standard bearer in the archers useful, or a 100VP liability when they
get broken? I suppose the unit is big enough to be deployed in 4 ranks on a
hill, and get a fairly hefty combat resolution bonus, (+3 ranks, +1 higher
ground, possibly outnumbering a small unit of light cav, and +1 for a
standard?) but 4 elves with hand weapons will not frighten anyone, nor would
the mage. And who would charge a unit with 16 stand and shoot shots, unless
they were confident of doing something useful with the charge?

Equally, is there any point in paying 12 points for the unit champion? You
pay double, and only get a point of BS. I cannot see any situation where
that is better than getting an extra archer, unless you cannot shoot with
the extra archer.
January 30, 2005 1:06:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

"Alan Ritchie" <alanritchie81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ivXKd.2954$vC.1481@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
>
> "estarriol" <estarriol@blueyonder.jeansNtshirt.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:ctgnjj$82k$1$830fa79f@news.demon.co.uk...
>> Month 1 & 2:
>>
>> estarriol: High Elves
>>
>> Mage: Level 1. Elven Steed
>> Mage: Level 1.
>>
>> 16 Spearmen: Captain, standard bearer.
>> 16 Archers: Captain, standard bearer
>> 16 Archers: Captain, standard bearer
>> 8 Silver Helms: Lance, light armour, barded Elven steed.
>> Repeater bolt thrower
>>
>> Total: 1,062pts+
>> Saved: -£3
>>
>>
>> Right then, Month 3:
>>
>> 1 Box Spearmen split amongst each unit. £15
>> 1 High Elf Lord figure £7 to act as army commander and lead the Silver
>> Helms to there doom..... sorry Victory!
>> Total spend £22, + £3 overspend from last month = £25
>>
>>
>> Ferdinand's Spears: 21 spears, officer, standard and Musician.
>> Carlos's Spears: 21 spears, officer, musician and standard.
>> Isabella's Archers: 14 Archers, standard bearer and officer
>> Mage, lvl1 Donna Maria who hides in the Silver Helms
>> Mage, lvl1 Iolanda of Bar who cavorts with the arshers
>> Alfonso's silver Helms, 8 lancers
>> Juan Carlos, Army commander (providing the trouble at court rules let
>> him)
>>
>>
> Don't forget the bolt thrower...
>
Gahhh your correct of course, that damn bolt thrower keeps hiding!

Sancho's Bolt Thrower.

> Is a standard bearer in the archers useful, or a 100VP liability when they
> get broken? I suppose the unit is big enough to be deployed in 4 ranks on
> a hill, and get a fairly hefty combat resolution bonus, (+3 ranks, +1
> higher ground, possibly outnumbering a small unit of light cav, and +1 for
> a standard?) but 4 elves with hand weapons will not frighten anyone, nor
> would the mage. And who would charge a unit with 16 stand and shoot
> shots, unless they were confident of doing something useful with the
> charge?
>
Its a visual thing, I like all my units to have leaders and standards, lets
me do fun banners etc.

--
estarriol

BTW the names will get explained later in the month, heeeeheeeeeeeheeee
January 31, 2005 1:00:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

Hi!

To buy third month
9 Glade guards 18 £
1 Great Eagle 7 £

Total for third month
25 £


My army is still a little to much on the characters, but it will
change as the army develops.

Have so far:
16 Glade Guards with full command 185 points
12 Glade Guards with full command 145 points
2*5 Archers 130 points
1 Great Eagle 50 points
1 hero 136 points
Extra horse
Wizard on Unicorn 205 points
Wizard on foot 105 points

The characters are

Glade Guardian 80 points
Light Armour 3 points
Shield 3 points
Hail of Doom Arrow 25 points
Amber Amulet 25 points
--------------------------------
136 points

Mage 70 points
Level 2 35 points
Unicorn 50 points
Blade of Fury 50 points
--------------------------------
205 points

Mage Level 2 105 points

-------------------------
Total 956 points so far.

/Your friendly neighbourhood Ewok
--
" Oktober. Detta är en av de särskilt farliga månaderna för fondbörs-
spekulation. De andra äro juli, januari, september, april, november, maj,
mars, juni, december, augusti och februari." - Mark Twain
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:04:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

Month 3 additions to "Donovan's Discount Destroyers" D.O.W. Army
$56 Limit
$57 Spent this month
(Only $201 spent thus far on a 1500pt army!)
OVER $1
Month 3 Points:271 pts
Total Points: 1493 pts
With the rumble of massive footsteps coming closer, Oleg the Paymaster
dispatched Captain Schornhauser to ride hard and fast for reinforcements.
Fortunately the good captain delegated authority, and the men managed to
make sure their newly recuited halflings had enough biscuits ready when
Naggur, Oleg's own mother*, showed up for a chat.

*More on Oleg the Paymaster
Oleg Bonaduski is the offspring of a female ogre who was seduced by a rather
well endowed halfling rake (making Oleg roughly human). Raised by his mother
who made ends meet working as a mercenary and call 'girl' to some of the
empire's more "openminded" purveyors of exotic flesh. Oleg shares his
mothers fondness for liaisons with halflings. Oleg's father died during
conception.

Naggur Thickankles and the Baby Shower Gang
4 (Converted female) Ogres w/ 2 hand weapons and command, light armor:
221pts
$40 Ogre Cows (bulls) box @ 20% off = $32
"HALOOOOOOOOOOOOO OLEG!"
"Where our ickle thinling at? Tell Oleg his mum's here, an' she bring 'is
aunts fer tea"
(UGHHHH A backstory replete with drunken ogre orgy went through my mind...)


Brittletooth Tindertoes Catering Service
Halfling Hotpot w/ 3 crewhobbitses: 50pts
$25 Full GW retail (Archives)**
Formerly owner and chief cooks of MOOTERS resturant. They were ran out of
the Moot after Witch hunter Obadiah caught them making their serving
halfingesses shave their feet and wear shiny orange lederhosen for a
Slaaneshi-funded foot fetish ritual.
Specializing in stick through your ribs meals
"Would you like fries with that?" or
"All employees are required to wipe hands on jerkin before returning to
work"

**(I decided to pay for the full price version even though converting would
be easy because I felt my supercheap army was cutting enough corners.)
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 9:19:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

" Donovan Borman" <borscope@charter.net> wrote in message
news:xvhMd.6004$L85.3753@fe03.lga...

> Naggur Thickankles and the Baby Shower Gang
> 4 (Converted female) Ogres w/ 2 hand weapons and command, light armor:
> 221pts

I make this only 206pts,
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:01:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

" Donovan Borman" <borscope@charter.net> wrote in message
news:xvhMd.6004$L85.3753@fe03.lga...
> Month 3 additions to "Donovan's Discount Destroyers"
> Naggur Thickankles and the Baby Shower Gang
> 4 (Converted female) Ogres w/ 2 hand weapons and command, light armor:

The Ogre Bulls set contains 6 Ogres, not 4.

Wake up, 40kers - the WFB Tale's complete for this month, and you're lagging
behind!

Philip Bowles
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:06:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

"Craig Little" <craig.little@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:qcadne4AopVKlZ_fRVn-pA@comcast.com...
>
> " Donovan Borman" <borscope@charter.net> wrote in message
> news:xvhMd.6004$L85.3753@fe03.lga...
>
> > Naggur Thickankles and the Baby Shower Gang
> > 4 (Converted female) Ogres w/ 2 hand weapons and command, light armor:
> > 221pts
>
> I make this only 206pts,

You're right, I mentally calculated the command at the cavalry costs.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:10:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

"Philip Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
news:36e420F4v6fnqU1@individual.net...

> Wake up, 40kers - the WFB Tale's complete for this month, and you're
> lagging behind!
>
> Philip Bowles


Uh, I'll get something together in the next few days....

You're not posting your month three summary for a few more weeks, though,
aren't you?
!