Please help! Need to install windows 7 without CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctomster

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012
Hi all, I just finished building my first CPU.
I have a product key from a friend, but I don't have a copy of the physical windows 7 home premium.

How can I install windows 7 home premium through a USB?

Here is my build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Green 530W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $867.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Thank you for your help :)

Solution
Maybe I wasn't quite clear enough. Here is a link with direct links to digitalriver.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

jemm

Distinguished
When you start your computer, you can get into the Bios, before the OS try to begin. Once you get into the Bios, as cmichael138 said, you have to set the USB as your 1st boot device. Then save it, and let it start through the USB device.

ctomster

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012
Yes, its reading from USB as the boot device.

I was able to get a different version of Windows 7 on my USB (not home premium) and it read that. Obviously the product key didn't work because the image on the USB was from Windows 7 professional.

Any other ideas? :)

There are different types of "product keys" because there are different ways a professional might deploy Windows. As long as your friend gave you the right kind of key, and it is a legal unused key, I have no problems with helping you.

Anyone in a position to give you a valid and LEGAL key will also be in a position to download the correct version directly from MS.

digitalriver is also a legal distribution point for Win 7 downloads.

Here is a tutorial that may help with your installation.
=General%20Tips]http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2432-usb-windows-7-installation-key-drive-create.html?filter[2]=General%20Tips

Our forum software doesn't like the URL it seems, so cut and paste

[cpp]http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2432-usb-windows-7-installation-key-drive-create.html?filter[2]=General%20Tips[/cpp]

ctomster

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012
It was a purchased legal unused key (basically a spare). My friend can't give me the CD because he lives pretty far from me at the moment.

Thanks for your help, I'll see if this helps at all :)

ctomster

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2012
Unfortunately this doesn't help much. It requires that I already have a hard copy of windows 7.

I'm looking for a (legal) download file of Windows 7 home premium. Something that I can put onto a USB and then use it onto my cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS