nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Help please. Since having Freeserve installed I have not
been able to play freecell. It willnot fully load, can
ne1 out there help me

Hi Nick ..
"Nick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1c8b01c42710$6d34bfb0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
| Help please. Since having Freeserve installed I have not
| been able to play freecell. It willnot fully load, can
| ne1 out there help me

Here's a few causes for Spider, Solitaire, Free Cell, etc., failing.
This list was originally started by +Elmo_Tech :)

- Free Cell was locking up until, by reading a message on this Newsgroup,
I turned off IMGICON.EXE on the Start Menu (Control/Alt/Delete).
By instruction from Iomega, after trying updated download for the Iomega
Zip drive, I did a search for IMGICON.EXE and deleted it. It works now.

- Freecell FAQ: http://home.swipnet.se/staffan/fcfaq.htm

- For more KB articles try: http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/solitair.htm

- Press Ctrl/Alt-Delete, click Point32 to highlight, and click End Task.
You may lose mouse acceleration and scrolling selections till you reboot.

- Reinstall the game(s): Windows XP:

Click START / Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs / Add Remove
Windows Components / Accessories and Utilities / [Details...] / Games /
[Details...] / pick your games / Click [OK] 3 times. May require XP CD.

To Install or Uninstall Windows 9x Games:

Click START / Settings / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs /
Click on the Windows Setup tab and double-click Accessories.
Check the box beside Games, then click OK / click OK again.
You'll need your Windows 98 Setup CD to complete the installation
unless the win98 .cab files directory was saved on your hard drive.

To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

KNOWN SOFTWARE THAT CAUSES CONFLICTS:

"Have you also installed McAfee VirusScan's latest version?
Malfunctioning in Freecell and Solitaire is a known problem for them, and
they suggest a solution on their site."

* Did you just install a Windows Update before this problem started?
Perhaps the update didn't install properly. Remove the most recent update
(the one(s) with the largest KB numbers) and try the game again before
you reinstall the update with your antivirus software disabled.

- AVG does the same thing.. Disable before you start the game.

- Slow Spider Solitaire: "If I open "Start",and then "Help" Spider Solitaire
works fine. That is I must run "Help" while I'm playing Spider Solitaire."

- Pop Up stoppers.

- Cookie Crushers.

- rundll (use Control Alt Delete to open Task Manager to end this task)

- PGP - Pretty Good Protection software.

- Mouse pointers.. Use default, or less-active pointers.

- Internet Explorer 6.

- Iomega zipdisk program conflict with IE6. An article:

"..a post on here a couple of weeks ago that suggested that this has to
do with a Iomega Zip disk file that you have running. IMGICON.EXE This
is loaded from the StartUp folder as Zip Disk Icons. (or it was on my
PC) Hit Ctrl - Alt - Del and see if it's running."

- Cleansweep's usage monitor. Disable.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms