Multiple Wireless Access Point Setup?

Greetings,

I know the MS hardware is somewhat new to the wireless
LAN game, but I am in need of a concrete answer, so I
thought I would try the brain trust here. :-)

Situation is:

-multiple access points, hard wired to the same physical
LAN, around a large office.
-access points are ONLY doing access point
-laptop and tablet users need to be able to seamlessly
float through office
-SSID is the same everywhere

The question is around the channel to use.
-Cisco says use the same channel on all devices
-SMC says use a different channel for each AP
-LinkSys says either way... but an article on their site,
says use different channels
-DLink says use the same channel.

Anyone know for sure? Or have a "case by case" reasoning
I can use? :-)

Thanks,
Andrew
6 answers Last reply
More about multiple wireless access point setup

    roaming is what you are doing. use channels 1 6 and 11 which are non
    overlapping. if you have more than 3, then you would have some issues

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Agreed.
    Any reason you can see, why someone like Cisco though,
    would suggest putting them all on the same channel, at
    the same time? Netgear as well, and DLink...?

    Andrew

    repeater, versus roaming

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    No... that's not how they describe it.

    We're not talking about repeaters here, that I am clear
    on. A repeater would indeed HAVE to be on the same
    channel.

    They (Cisco, NetGear, DLink) all specifically say, for
    multiple access points to put them all on the same
    channel...

    Andrew

    I can only repeat what I've already told you.

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:57:41 -0700, "Andrew"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

Routers Wireless Access Networking