Multiple Wireless Access Point Setup?

Last response: in Networking
Share
July 23, 2004 12:57:32 PM

Greetings,

I know the MS hardware is somewhat new to the wireless
LAN game, but I am in need of a concrete answer, so I
thought I would try the brain trust here. :-)

Situation is:

-multiple access points, hard wired to the same physical
LAN, around a large office.
-access points are ONLY doing access point
-laptop and tablet users need to be able to seamlessly
float through office
-SSID is the same everywhere

The question is around the channel to use.
-Cisco says use the same channel on all devices
-SMC says use a different channel for each AP
-LinkSys says either way... but an article on their site,
says use different channels
-DLink says use the same channel.

Anyone know for sure? Or have a "case by case" reasoning
I can use? :-)

Thanks,
Andrew
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 5:57:40 PM

roaming is what you are doing. use channels 1 6 and 11 which are non
overlapping. if you have more than 3, then you would have some issues

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Agreed.
Any reason you can see, why someone like Cisco though,
would suggest putting them all on the same channel, at
the same time? Netgear as well, and DLink...?

Andrew

July 23, 2004 6:22:51 PM

repeater, versus roaming

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

No... that's not how they describe it.

We're not talking about repeaters here, that I am clear
on. A repeater would indeed HAVE to be on the same
channel.

They (Cisco, NetGear, DLink) all specifically say, for
multiple access points to put them all on the same
channel...

Andrew

Anonymous
July 24, 2004 10:12:40 AM

I can only repeat what I've already told you.

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:57:41 -0700, "Andrew"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Wow, nice useless response. "Because I said so!!!", good way to scare away people with questions.
!