Things were going so good too...

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Alright, so my laptop just fell on the floor, along with my mouse and headphones, no damage to the mouse or laptop it seems but the tip of the headphone jack just broke, the tip is stuck in the computer, the headphone still work fine on the right side (left being what the tip what supposed to send to) so:

■How can I get the tip out
■The headphones are still under warranty (just got to find the receipt)
■Is there a way to reattach/repair the tip without having to replace the cord (which is detachable)
■where could I find a replacement cord?

Thanks in advance fr the help!

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Alright two updates

alright, I was able to get the tip out using the insides of a pen.

This particular model of headphones have a removable cable, it plugs in the computer and the headphones at the same time. So splitting it open is one of the last things I wanna do (after seeing if putting a bit of special glue would work or getting Sennheiser to send me a replacement one)

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
>.< alright so... there doesn't seem to be a way to re-attach it (other than soldering it back on) so I'll look for a new cable, but now a new issue has arised, not I get sound out of both my headphone and my laptop speakers at the same time, if it were my desktop I'd be ecstatic (cuz I was trying to get that to work about a year ago) anyway, the only way I can get it only to the headphone is if I go manually into the sound controls and check "PC spk mute" (I'm assuming it outputs to headphones at all times but that doesn't really matter since I just unplug it when not in use)

so... any ideas how to work this out?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Here's what I mean about your headphone jack. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12878

The minijack switch is shorting permanently, it suppose to release and bypass the speakers and redirect the sounds to the headphone. That could be damage too.

Check the schematic symbols on (D) here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/88/Phone_jack_symbols.png

From top to bottom:

1 - right source/right headphone
2 - right speaker
3 - left speaker
4 - left source/left headphone
5 - ground

Notice how the pins (1 and 2) & (3 and 4) are shorted without plug, then the connection(pin 2 and 3) opens from when a plug is inserted, it pushes pin 1 away from pin 2 and 4 away from pin 3.

TRENDING THREADS