My NTFS disc has gone kaput. It won't boot and it won't mount
automatically when I boot up with a Knoppix 3.4 CD.
The files are all there.... I can see them with an evaluation copy of
GetDataBack for NTFS, so if I could repair the boot I'd be home and
hosed.

Any advice on how to do that. Specifically with Knoppix 3.4?
There are hundreds of programs on the Knoppix disc, but as with all
Unixes, the filenames are not much help.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1122386083.767282.322400@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg <hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg> had this to say:

> My NTFS disc has gone kaput. It won't boot and it won't mount
> automatically when I boot up with a Knoppix 3.4 CD.
> The files are all there.... I can see them with an evaluation copy of
> GetDataBack for NTFS, so if I could repair the boot I'd be home and
> hosed.
>
> Any advice on how to do that. Specifically with Knoppix 3.4?
> There are hundreds of programs on the Knoppix disc, but as with all
> Unixes, the filenames are not much help.

Could be your MBR?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058#XSLTH4342121123120121120120

You can read about the FIXMBR there...

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Gordon

<hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg> wrote in message
> My NTFS disc has gone kaput. It won't boot and it won't mount
> automatically when I boot up with a Knoppix 3.4 CD.
> The files are all there.... I can see them with an evaluation copy of
> GetDataBack for NTFS, so if I could repair the boot I'd be home and
> hosed.
>
> Any advice on how to do that. Specifically with Knoppix 3.4?
> There are hundreds of programs on the Knoppix disc, but as with all
> Unixes, the filenames are not much help.

You can't actually repair an NTFS formatted disk or partition with any
flavour of Linux AFAIK...what you CAN do is to use Knoppix (or similar) to
rescue all your data from an un-bootable HDD.

map

hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg wrote:
> My NTFS disc has gone kaput. It won't boot and it won't mount
> automatically when I boot up with a Knoppix 3.4 CD.
> The files are all there.... I can see them with an evaluation copy of
> GetDataBack for NTFS, so if I could repair the boot I'd be home and
> hosed.
>
> Any advice on how to do that. Specifically with Knoppix 3.4?
> There are hundreds of programs on the Knoppix disc, but as with all
> Unixes, the filenames are not much help.

This is for Knoppix 3.7 sorry its all I could find.
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Why don't you use the recovery console to repair your boot files or use your
XP CD to boot from?

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxprcons.html
fixboot
fixmbr

--
Mike Pawlak

"MAP" wrote:

> hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg wrote:
> > My NTFS disc has gone kaput. It won't boot and it won't mount
> > automatically when I boot up with a Knoppix 3.4 CD.
> > The files are all there.... I can see them with an evaluation copy of
> > GetDataBack for NTFS, so if I could repair the boot I'd be home and
> > hosed.
> >
> > Any advice on how to do that. Specifically with Knoppix 3.4?
> > There are hundreds of programs on the Knoppix disc, but as with all
> > Unixes, the filenames are not much help.
>
> This is for Knoppix 3.7 sorry its all I could find.
> http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
>
> Why don't you use the recovery console to repair your boot files or use your
> XP CD to boot from?
>
> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxprcons.html
> fixboot
> fixmbr
>
> --
> Mike Pawlak

Hello, Someone gave this information in a different newsgroup, did not copy
the name, so no attribution.
"Knoppix by default has read only access to NTFS drives. To turn on write
access - - Use of the Captive NTFS tool to allows writable access to an NTFS
formatted partition. - Click on the K button in the lower left corner of the
screen. This will bring up a menu like the Windows Start Menu. Enter the
"KNOPPIX" submenu. Enter the "Utilities" submenu. Select "Captive NTFS". -
Follow the instructions on the screen. Once ntfs.sys and ntoskernel.sys are
found you may click Ok to finish the program. You might also be interested in
Computer First Aid Using Knoppix - http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
"
There is "BartsPE".
http://65.24.134.81/KipSolutions/BootableCDrom/BartsPE.htm
Do not know if any of this will be of use.
Take Care.
beamish

> Hello, Someone gave this information in a different newsgroup, did not copy
> the name, so no attribution.

It was Malke

--
Peter

"beamish" <beamish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7C2D9BD-B7AF-45A2-91B4-0B4FAD720DFD@microsoft.com...

> "MAP" wrote:
>
> > hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg wrote:
> > > My NTFS disc has gone kaput. It won't boot and it won't mount
> > > automatically when I boot up with a Knoppix 3.4 CD.
> > > The files are all there.... I can see them with an evaluation copy of
> > > GetDataBack for NTFS, so if I could repair the boot I'd be home and
> > > hosed.
> > >
> > > Any advice on how to do that. Specifically with Knoppix 3.4?
> > > There are hundreds of programs on the Knoppix disc, but as with all
> > > Unixes, the filenames are not much help.
> >
> > This is for Knoppix 3.7 sorry its all I could find.
> > http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
> >
> > Why don't you use the recovery console to repair your boot files or use your
> > XP CD to boot from?
> >
> > http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxprcons.html
> > fixboot
> > fixmbr
> >
> > --
> > Mike Pawlak
>
> Hello, Someone gave this information in a different newsgroup, did not copy
> the name, so no attribution.
> "Knoppix by default has read only access to NTFS drives. To turn on write
> access - - Use of the Captive NTFS tool to allows writable access to an NTFS
> formatted partition. - Click on the K button in the lower left corner of the
> screen. This will bring up a menu like the Windows Start Menu. Enter the
> "KNOPPIX" submenu. Enter the "Utilities" submenu. Select "Captive NTFS". -
> Follow the instructions on the screen. Once ntfs.sys and ntoskernel.sys are
> found you may click Ok to finish the program. You might also be interested in
> Computer First Aid Using Knoppix - http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
> "
> There is "BartsPE".
> http://65.24.134.81/KipSolutions/BootableCDrom/BartsPE.htm
> Do not know if any of this will be of use.
> Take Care.
> beamish

Hello, Thank You for the name "Malke".
Take Care.
beamish.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

--
Peter

"beamish" <beamish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7C2D9BD-B7AF-45A2-91B4-0B4FAD720DFD@microsoft.com...

> "MAP" wrote:
>
> > hog.badger@mbox.bol.bg wrote:
> > > My NTFS disc has gone kaput. It won't boot and it won't mount
> > > automatically when I boot up with a Knoppix 3.4 CD.
> > > The files are all there.... I can see them with an evaluation copy of
> > > GetDataBack for NTFS, so if I could repair the boot I'd be home and
> > > hosed.
> > >
> > > Any advice on how to do that. Specifically with Knoppix 3.4?
> > > There are hundreds of programs on the Knoppix disc, but as with all
> > > Unixes, the filenames are not much help.
> >
> > This is for Knoppix 3.7 sorry its all I could find.
> > http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
> >
> > Why don't you use the recovery console to repair your boot files or use your
> > XP CD to boot from?
> >
> > http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxprcons.html
> > fixboot
> > fixmbr
> >
> > --
> > Mike Pawlak
>
> Hello, Someone gave this information in a different newsgroup, did not copy
> the name, so no attribution.
> "Knoppix by default has read only access to NTFS drives. To turn on write
> access - - Use of the Captive NTFS tool to allows writable access to an NTFS
> formatted partition. - Click on the K button in the lower left corner of the
> screen. This will bring up a menu like the Windows Start Menu. Enter the
> "KNOPPIX" submenu. Enter the "Utilities" submenu. Select "Captive NTFS". -
> Follow the instructions on the screen. Once ntfs.sys and ntoskernel.sys are
> found you may click Ok to finish the program. You might also be interested in
> Computer First Aid Using Knoppix - http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
> "
> There is "BartsPE".
> http://65.24.134.81/KipSolutions/BootableCDrom/BartsPE.htm
> Do not know if any of this will be of use.
> Take Care.
> beamish

Jonyjams

Hi folks,
Been around for about 50 years... Jonyjams Computers in Wellington, MO has rebutted tons of dumb A*** over the net in lots of blogs forums ect... and checks out Tom's from time to time just to see how diminished our youth have become with laziness and actual hands on know how. There are a lot of you that should really find something else to do with your life because repairing pc's will probly be your downfall... On the other hand, some of you got it going on!

Got an unmountable boot volume due to a bad ntfs partition and tried all this crap that is blasted all over the net?
Download Knoppix... (look it up yourself... reach!)
boot up to the image your had to burn to cd...
open shell and check to see if your ntfs partition is being seen.
If it is... your probly in good hands here...
Type "su" and press enter. (this makes you root)
now Type "cfdisk" and press enter
(write down your hda drive so you don't forget... i know your kids have memories about as long a 3 peckered owl's pecker)

Exit cfdisk.
Now type: "ntfsfix /dev/hda1" (or what ever your hda was be it 1 or 2 or 3 ect... and press enter.
Do this and replace hda1 with all occurences on your list.
Close Knoppix and reboot.

Now quit playin with your stub and get busy screwin up that os some more!

Jonyjams