Do I really need Java?

July 26, 2005 7:06:14 PM

When I ran a speed test on my internet connection, the response said that I
needed a "Java Plug-in" to see the results.

At the Java site I noticed the download for Java is about 30 MB and the
diskspace is about 100 MB. Do I really need such a monstrously big program
just to look at a few figures? Are the benefits commensurate with such a
huge program?

Is there no MS facility for Java built into Win XP SP2?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

More about : java

July 26, 2005 7:06:15 PM

The online installation is only 221kb and the offline 16.3mb (save and
install later), not sure where you are looking.
Without Java many webpages wont work properly for you.
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"Walter R." <wer25@example.com> wrote in message
> When I ran a speed test on my internet connection, the response said that
> I needed a "Java Plug-in" to see the results.
>
> At the Java site I noticed the download for Java is about 30 MB and the
> diskspace is about 100 MB. Do I really need such a monstrously big program
> just to look at a few figures? Are the benefits commensurate with such a
> huge program?
>
> Is there no MS facility for Java built into Win XP SP2?
>
> --
> Walter
> www.rationality.net
> -

July 26, 2005 7:06:15 PM

P. S. Microsoft no longer markets their own Java VM (lawsuits etc.) and SP2
does away with it completely, hence the need for Sun Java.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2
P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
"Walter R." <wer25@example.com> wrote in message
> When I ran a speed test on my internet connection, the response said that
> I needed a "Java Plug-in" to see the results.
>
> At the Java site I noticed the download for Java is about 30 MB and the
> diskspace is about 100 MB. Do I really need such a monstrously big program
> just to look at a few figures? Are the benefits commensurate with such a
> huge program?
>
> Is there no MS facility for Java built into Win XP SP2?
>
> --
> Walter
> www.rationality.net
> -

July 26, 2005 7:06:16 PM

"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
> The online installation is only 221kb and the offline 16.3mb not sure
> where you are looking.

Maybe,but the final installation now uses 118MB and that *is* a pretty large
slice!
July 26, 2005 7:06:17 PM

It;s using 56.9mb in my machine.

--
"Kipper" <pushticat@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>> The online installation is only 221kb and the offline 16.3mb not sure
>> where you are looking.
>
> Maybe,but the final installation now uses 118MB and that *is* a pretty
> large slice!

July 26, 2005 7:06:17 PM

New large HD's aren't very expensive these days.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
XP Home SP2
P4 dual HT @ 3ghz, 360gb HD, 1gb DDR.
"Kipper" <pushticat@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
>> The online installation is only 221kb and the offline 16.3mb not sure
>> where you are looking.
>
> Maybe,but the final installation now uses 118MB and that *is* a pretty
> large slice!

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 7:06:18 PM

> It;s using 56.9mb in my machine.

Ain't you lucky! The previous version took 108mb on mine.This one's 118.I'm
going to reinstall the original-if I can find it.
July 26, 2005 7:54:53 PM

Peter wrote:

> P. S. Microsoft no longer markets their own Java VM (lawsuits etc.) and SP2
> does away with it completely, hence the need for Sun Java.

You can still get the MS Java VM from other locations and then update it
from the MS site. I don't know about the size though.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Walter R. wrote:

> At the Java site I noticed the download for Java is about 30 MB and the
> diskspace is about 100 MB. Do I really need such a monstrously big program
> just to look at a few figures? Are the benefits commensurate with such a
> huge program?

I doubt that a moron such as yourself would benefit at all from such an
installation.
March 26, 2009 3:21:45 AM

just how big is the HDD, sound pretty small, simple fix, don't install JAVA, you did fine with out it so far, and knowing your internet connection speed really doesn't mean anything to you
!