Sign in with
Your question

Analog to Digital

Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
September 19, 2010 4:54:24 AM

Ok peeps I am sooooo lost. I refuse, simply refuse to pay for cable. We had the most basic of basic cheap Comcast cable for the first time EVER last year and discontinued it at the end of the promotion period. I don't need 5 million channels nor do I miss cable. I just want ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, WB thats it. I get all with the exception of WB and PBS. I MISS PBS something horrible. So here are my questions.

1. What is the deal with Digital/HD/ UHF/VHF antennas? What does all that mean? Right now I have crap indoor rabbit ears with the poles. I'd say I'm about 30 miles from all the main stations. I'm guessing an outdoor antenna is best?

2. If I have 2 TV's, analog of course, do I need two seperate antennas or is there a way to hook both up to one antenna?

3. If I eventually do get a brand spankin' new flat TV and still refuse to pay for cable I'm guessing I'll still have to use the digital converter and antenna? Is that possible or am I screwed and HAVE to pay for cable? The only reason I'd get a new TV mainly is to play video games for the enhanced visuals not necesarily for watching TV. Weird I know but ehhhh.

I've lived most of my 33 years without cable and I'm ok with that and I REALLY, REALLY don't want to pay for cable. Any help would be fantastic.

More about : analog digital

Anonymous
September 19, 2010 9:22:06 AM

Roof antenna is vastly better than rabbit ears -- new ones are compatible with all terrestrial signals. You need a splitter box to run two TVs from a single antenna (otherwise there's potential for problems because of earthing differences between the two sets).

If you buy a new flatscreen ensure that it includes a tuner section (in other words it's not just a monitor).

If reception is a problem in your area, cable or satellite may be worth the investment as most carry a number of free channels included in a basic subscription.

You really need to speak to a knowledgeable retailer or antenna installer -- I'm based in the UK so my observations are, necessarily, rather general.

Here have a choice of 5 channels off air, what's called DVB or Freeview which converts UHF signal to 70 or so channels -- plus cable and satellite on subscription.

The vast majority of people in cities and suburbs now use a Freeview equipped TV (or set top box) received via a modern UHF antenna.
m
l
!