How to put folder names in alphanumerical order?

Using dates such as this dd-mm-yyyy for folder names I don't seem to be
able to get folders listed in numerical order...eg when I click Name have
files are shown as:-
11-12-2005
13-07-2004
20-12-2004
22-05-2005

instead of :-
13-07-2004
20-12-2004
22-05-2005
11-12-2005

Thanks,
John

"John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Using dates such as this dd-mm-yyyy for folder names I don't seem to be
> able to get folders listed in numerical order...eg when I click Name have
> files are shown as:-
> 11-12-2005
> 13-07-2004
> 20-12-2004
> 22-05-2005
>
> instead of :-
> 13-07-2004
> 20-12-2004
> 22-05-2005
> 11-12-2005
>
> Thanks,

Filenames are always sorted alphabetically, using the characters from left
to right. The only way to get them sorted the way you want is to do as
Torgeir suggests and name them a year-month-day.

Dan

John Smith wrote:

> Using dates such as this dd-mm-yyyy for folder names I don't
> seem to be able to get folders listed in numerical order...
> eg when I click Name have files are shown as:-
> 11-12-2005
> 13-07-2004
> 20-12-2004
> 22-05-2005
>
> instead of :-
> 13-07-2004
> 20-12-2004
> 22-05-2005
> 11-12-2005

Hi,

Use the ISO 8601 date format yyyy-mm-dd to make it unambiguous and
easily sortable in Explorer.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

"Daniel Crichton" <msnews@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message

> "John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Using dates such as this dd-mm-yyyy for folder names I don't seem to be
>> able to get folders listed in numerical order...eg when I click Name have
>> files are shown as:-
>> 11-12-2005
>> 13-07-2004
>> 20-12-2004
>> 22-05-2005
>>
>> instead of :-
>> 13-07-2004
>> 20-12-2004
>> 22-05-2005
>> 11-12-2005
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> Filenames are always sorted alphabetically, using the characters from left
> to right. The only way to get them sorted the way you want is to do as
> Torgeir suggests and name them a year-month-day.
>
> Dan
OK, Thanks Dan