Ghost 9 Backup of XP

I am getting frustrated trying to back up my HD using Ghost 9.

I have tried several times (5) now and I get essentially the same
results...the process hangs every time before it ever finishes the first
image, usually about 20-50% of the complete 'job'.

I have a WD Passport USB drive (40GB) which was formatted FAT32 and I
reformatted it for NTFS on the advice of another experienced user. That made
no difference.

I have a laptop (Dell), P4 processor (2 ghz), 512 RAM, XP Pro operating
system.

Any direction/help would severly curtain the anxiety and frustration I am
having with this 'bear'.

Thank you.

george (polaris6)
10 answers Last reply
More about ghost backup

    Animated Shockwave Ghost tutorial with sound
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/ghost_2002/2001032917165825_s.html

    How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2001032917165825

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "polaris6" wrote:

    | I am getting frustrated trying to back up my HD using Ghost 9.
    |
    | I have tried several times (5) now and I get essentially the same
    | results...the process hangs every time before it ever finishes the first
    | image, usually about 20-50% of the complete 'job'.
    |
    | I have a WD Passport USB drive (40GB) which was formatted FAT32 and I
    | reformatted it for NTFS on the advice of another experienced user. That made
    | no difference.
    |
    | I have a laptop (Dell), P4 processor (2 ghz), 512 RAM, XP Pro operating
    | system.
    |
    | Any direction/help would severly curtain the anxiety and frustration I am
    | having with this 'bear'.
    |
    | Thank you.
    |
    | george (polaris6)

    The problem you may be having is that XP has a 4GB filesize limit when
    storing a file on FAT32 partitions.

    "polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am getting frustrated trying to back up my HD using Ghost 9.
    >
    > I have tried several times (5) now and I get essentially the same
    > results...the process hangs every time before it ever finishes the first
    > image, usually about 20-50% of the complete 'job'.
    >
    > I have a WD Passport USB drive (40GB) which was formatted FAT32 and I
    > reformatted it for NTFS on the advice of another experienced user. That
    > made
    > no difference.
    >
    > I have a laptop (Dell), P4 processor (2 ghz), 512 RAM, XP Pro operating
    > system.
    >
    > Any direction/help would severly curtain the anxiety and frustration I am
    > having with this 'bear'.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > george (polaris6)

    I reformatted the USB Drive from FAT32 to NTFS.

    >I reformatted the USB Drive from FAT32 to NTFS.

    George:
    Whatever problem you're having with Ghost 9 to (presumably) clone the
    contents of your laptop's HD to a USB external HD has *nothing* to do with
    the file system on that USBEHD. There was no need to convert that drive from
    FAT32 to NTFS, but it's of no import here. The 4 GB limitation involving
    moving/copying individual files in a FAT32 environment is irrelevant and I
    don't know why Yves raised that as a possible issue in this situation.

    Please furnish detailed information on *precisely* how you used the Ghost
    program to undertake the disk cloning process. Do so step-by-step. And
    please provide details.

    Had you previously used the Ghost program to successfully perform a disk
    cloning operation? There's no problem with your working drive, right? It
    boots without a problem and functions properly, right? And your USBEHD is
    similarly functioning without problems, right?
    Anna

    Thank you. I don't suppose it would be wise to reformat the USB HD back to
    the original FAT32 format. Actually, I don't know how to do that. I may not
    have the software to do it.

    Anyway, here I go, step-by-step.

    1. I have reformatted the USB HD (40 GB) and it is now 'clean'.

    2. I R-click on the G9 icon (tray), click on Back up now, then Back up
    drives

    3. Up comes the Wizard and I click, Next, the select the C-drive to back up.

    4. Then I click, Next, then Browse, then F-drive (the USB HD), radio button
    selects Local File, then click on Next.

    5. This is the Options page; I select Standard Compression, then click on
    Next (which provides a Summary of the task), then click on Next

    6. Any away it goes, starting with Initialization.

    After about 2 hours (about 6-9 GB later)... (34 GB to back up), the computer
    hangs up and I have to reboot to get it to do anything. I have tried this
    7-8 times now and have reformatted the HD each time before I start the
    process again. Each new time, I followed the advice given me, thinking that
    it might make a difference, and it hasn't.

    Thanks.

    george (polaris6)

    ..

    "Anna" wrote:

    > >> "polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > > "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
    > >
    > >> The problem you may be having is that XP has a 4GB filesize limit when
    > >> storing a file on FAT32 partitions.
    >

    > "polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I reformatted the USB Drive from FAT32 to NTFS.
    >

    > George:
    > Whatever problem you're having with Ghost 9 to (presumably) clone the
    > contents of your laptop's HD to a USB external HD has *nothing* to do with
    > the file system on that USBEHD. There was no need to convert that drive from
    > FAT32 to NTFS, but it's of no import here. The 4 GB limitation involving
    > moving/copying individual files in a FAT32 environment is irrelevant and I
    > don't know why Yves raised that as a possible issue in this situation.
    >
    > Please furnish detailed information on *precisely* how you used the Ghost
    > program to undertake the disk cloning process. Do so step-by-step. And
    > please provide details.
    >
    > Had you previously used the Ghost program to successfully perform a disk
    > cloning operation? There's no problem with your working drive, right? It
    > boots without a problem and functions properly, right? And your USBEHD is
    > similarly functioning without problems, right?
    > Anna

    I forgot the other information you asked about.

    I have NOT used Ghost before. This software was recommended to me because
    of the feature to restore the operating system in toto. I have a lot of
    marine navigational software and date on this laptop, and lost it 2x in the
    last 6 months one system crash and one HD mechanical crash. this software
    was to be the answer for me to salvage my computer 'investment' more
    efficiently.

    Both drives work well. I can copy data to and from both (in large
    quantities (25 BG) without any hitches.

    "polaris6" wrote:

    > Thank you. I don't suppose it would be wise to reformat the USB HD back to
    > the original FAT32 format. Actually, I don't know how to do that. I may not
    > have the software to do it.
    >
    > Anyway, here I go, step-by-step.
    >
    > 1. I have reformatted the USB HD (40 GB) and it is now 'clean'.
    >
    > 2. I R-click on the G9 icon (tray), click on Back up now, then Back up
    > drives
    >
    > 3. Up comes the Wizard and I click, Next, the select the C-drive to back up.
    >
    > 4. Then I click, Next, then Browse, then F-drive (the USB HD), radio button
    > selects Local File, then click on Next.
    >
    > 5. This is the Options page; I select Standard Compression, then click on
    > Next (which provides a Summary of the task), then click on Next
    >
    > 6. Any away it goes, starting with Initialization.
    >
    > After about 2 hours (about 6-9 GB later)... (34 GB to back up), the computer
    > hangs up and I have to reboot to get it to do anything. I have tried this
    > 7-8 times now and have reformatted the HD each time before I start the
    > process again. Each new time, I followed the advice given me, thinking that
    > it might make a difference, and it hasn't.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > george (polaris6)
    >

    > .

    > > "polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I reformatted the USB Drive from FAT32 to NTFS.
    > >

    > > George:
    > > Whatever problem you're having with Ghost 9 to (presumably) clone the
    > > contents of your laptop's HD to a USB external HD has *nothing* to do with
    > > the file system on that USBEHD. There was no need to convert that drive from
    > > FAT32 to NTFS, but it's of no import here. The 4 GB limitation involving
    > > moving/copying individual files in a FAT32 environment is irrelevant and I
    > > don't know why Yves raised that as a possible issue in this situation.
    > >
    > > Please furnish detailed information on *precisely* how you used the Ghost
    > > program to undertake the disk cloning process. Do so step-by-step. And
    > > please provide details.
    > >
    > > Had you previously used the Ghost program to successfully perform a disk
    > > cloning operation? There's no problem with your working drive, right? It
    > > boots without a problem and functions properly, right? And your USBEHD is
    > > similarly functioning without problems, right?
    > > Anna

    Ghost 9, and almost any imaging program I suppose, does not like hard disk
    errors. When I ran across this problem I ran chkdsk c: /f, from the command
    prompt window. When the computer again booted up I was able to complete the
    Ghost image.

    Try it and see if it helps you also.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am getting frustrated trying to back up my HD using Ghost 9.
    >
    > I have tried several times (5) now and I get essentially the same
    > results...the process hangs every time before it ever finishes the first
    > image, usually about 20-50% of the complete 'job'.
    >
    > I have a WD Passport USB drive (40GB) which was formatted FAT32 and I
    > reformatted it for NTFS on the advice of another experienced user. That
    > made
    > no difference.
    >
    > I have a laptop (Dell), P4 processor (2 ghz), 512 RAM, XP Pro operating
    > system.
    >
    > Any direction/help would severly curtain the anxiety and frustration I am
    > having with this 'bear'.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > george (polaris6)

    Did you run chkddsk on the c-drive or the USB drive, or both?

    Did you run this from the command prompt? I think that is what you wrote.

    polaris6

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

    > Ghost 9, and almost any imaging program I suppose, does not like hard disk
    > errors. When I ran across this problem I ran chkdsk c: /f, from the command
    > prompt window. When the computer again booted up I was able to complete the
    > Ghost image.
    >
    > Try it and see if it helps you also.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    >
    > "polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am getting frustrated trying to back up my HD using Ghost 9.
    > >
    > > I have tried several times (5) now and I get essentially the same
    > > results...the process hangs every time before it ever finishes the first
    > > image, usually about 20-50% of the complete 'job'.
    > >
    > > I have a WD Passport USB drive (40GB) which was formatted FAT32 and I
    > > reformatted it for NTFS on the advice of another experienced user. That
    > > made
    > > no difference.
    > >
    > > I have a laptop (Dell), P4 processor (2 ghz), 512 RAM, XP Pro operating
    > > system.
    > >
    > > Any direction/help would severly curtain the anxiety and frustration I am
    > > having with this 'bear'.
    > >
    > > Thank you.
    > >
    > > george (polaris6)

    Just on my Windows partition. Apparently there was a logical error that
    caused Ghost to fault out. It certainly wouldn't hurt to check your external
    drive also.

    --

    > Did you run chkddsk on the c-drive or the USB drive, or both?
    >
    > Did you run this from the command prompt? I think that is what you wrote.
    >
    > polaris6
    >
    > "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Ghost 9, and almost any imaging program I suppose, does not like hard
    >> disk
    >> errors. When I ran across this problem I ran chkdsk c: /f, from the
    >> command
    >> prompt window. When the computer again booted up I was able to complete
    >> the
    >> Ghost image.
    >>
    >> Try it and see if it helps you also.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Quote from: George Ankner
    >> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
    >>
    >> "polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am getting frustrated trying to back up my HD using Ghost 9.
    >> >
    >> > I have tried several times (5) now and I get essentially the same
    >> > results...the process hangs every time before it ever finishes the
    >> > first
    >> > image, usually about 20-50% of the complete 'job'.
    >> >
    >> > I have a WD Passport USB drive (40GB) which was formatted FAT32 and I
    >> > reformatted it for NTFS on the advice of another experienced user.
    >> > That
    >> > made
    >> > no difference.
    >> >
    >> > I have a laptop (Dell), P4 processor (2 ghz), 512 RAM, XP Pro operating
    >> > system.
    >> >
    >> > Any direction/help would severly curtain the anxiety and frustration I
    >> > am
    >> > having with this 'bear'.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you.
    >> >
    >> > george (polaris6)

    I have done both. I am now trying to back up again.

Windows XP