Ghost 9 Backup of XP

I am getting frustrated trying to back up my HD using Ghost 9.

I have tried several times (5) now and I get essentially the same
results...the process hangs every time before it ever finishes the first
image, usually about 20-50% of the complete 'job'.

I have a WD Passport USB drive (40GB) which was formatted FAT32 and I
reformatted it for NTFS on the advice of another experienced user. That made
no difference.

I have a laptop (Dell), P4 processor (2 ghz), 512 RAM, XP Pro operating
system.

Any direction/help would severly curtain the anxiety and frustration I am
having with this 'bear'.

Thank you.

george (polaris6)

Animated Shockwave Ghost tutorial with sound
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/tutorial/ghost_2002/2001032917165825_s.html

How to perform a disk-to-disk clone
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2001032917165825

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"polaris6" wrote:

| I am getting frustrated trying to back up my HD using Ghost 9.
|
| I have tried several times (5) now and I get essentially the same
| results...the process hangs every time before it ever finishes the first
| image, usually about 20-50% of the complete 'job'.
|
| I have a WD Passport USB drive (40GB) which was formatted FAT32 and I
| reformatted it for NTFS on the advice of another experienced user. That made
| no difference.
|
| I have a laptop (Dell), P4 processor (2 ghz), 512 RAM, XP Pro operating
| system.
|
| Any direction/help would severly curtain the anxiety and frustration I am
| having with this 'bear'.
|
| Thank you.
|
| george (polaris6)

The problem you may be having is that XP has a 4GB filesize limit when
storing a file on FAT32 partitions.

"polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am getting frustrated trying to back up my HD using Ghost 9.
>
> I have tried several times (5) now and I get essentially the same
> results...the process hangs every time before it ever finishes the first
> image, usually about 20-50% of the complete 'job'.
>
> I have a WD Passport USB drive (40GB) which was formatted FAT32 and I
> reformatted it for NTFS on the advice of another experienced user. That
> made
> no difference.
>
> I have a laptop (Dell), P4 processor (2 ghz), 512 RAM, XP Pro operating
> system.
>
> Any direction/help would severly curtain the anxiety and frustration I am
> having with this 'bear'.
>
> Thank you.
>
> george (polaris6)

I reformatted the USB Drive from FAT32 to NTFS.

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> The problem you may be having is that XP has a 4GB filesize limit when
> storing a file on FAT32 partitions.
>

> "polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am getting frustrated trying to back up my HD using Ghost 9.
> >
> > I have tried several times (5) now and I get essentially the same
> > results...the process hangs every time before it ever finishes the first
> > image, usually about 20-50% of the complete 'job'.
> >
> > I have a WD Passport USB drive (40GB) which was formatted FAT32 and I
> > reformatted it for NTFS on the advice of another experienced user. That
> > made
> > no difference.
> >
> > I have a laptop (Dell), P4 processor (2 ghz), 512 RAM, XP Pro operating
> > system.
> >
> > Any direction/help would severly curtain the anxiety and frustration I am
> > having with this 'bear'.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > george (polaris6)

anna

>I reformatted the USB Drive from FAT32 to NTFS.

George:
Whatever problem you're having with Ghost 9 to (presumably) clone the
contents of your laptop's HD to a USB external HD has *nothing* to do with
the file system on that USBEHD. There was no need to convert that drive from
FAT32 to NTFS, but it's of no import here. The 4 GB limitation involving
moving/copying individual files in a FAT32 environment is irrelevant and I
don't know why Yves raised that as a possible issue in this situation.

Please furnish detailed information on *precisely* how you used the Ghost
program to undertake the disk cloning process. Do so step-by-step. And
please provide details.

Had you previously used the Ghost program to successfully perform a disk
cloning operation? There's no problem with your working drive, right? It
boots without a problem and functions properly, right? And your USBEHD is
similarly functioning without problems, right?
Anna

Thank you. I don't suppose it would be wise to reformat the USB HD back to
the original FAT32 format. Actually, I don't know how to do that. I may not
have the software to do it.

Anyway, here I go, step-by-step.

1. I have reformatted the USB HD (40 GB) and it is now 'clean'.

2. I R-click on the G9 icon (tray), click on Back up now, then Back up
drives

3. Up comes the Wizard and I click, Next, the select the C-drive to back up.

4. Then I click, Next, then Browse, then F-drive (the USB HD), radio button
selects Local File, then click on Next.

5. This is the Options page; I select Standard Compression, then click on
Next (which provides a Summary of the task), then click on Next

6. Any away it goes, starting with Initialization.

After about 2 hours (about 6-9 GB later)... (34 GB to back up), the computer
hangs up and I have to reboot to get it to do anything. I have tried this
7-8 times now and have reformatted the HD each time before I start the
process again. Each new time, I followed the advice given me, thinking that
it might make a difference, and it hasn't.

Thanks.

george (polaris6)

..

"Anna" wrote:

> >> "polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
> >
> >> The problem you may be having is that XP has a 4GB filesize limit when
> >> storing a file on FAT32 partitions.
>

> "polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I reformatted the USB Drive from FAT32 to NTFS.
>

> George:
> Whatever problem you're having with Ghost 9 to (presumably) clone the
> contents of your laptop's HD to a USB external HD has *nothing* to do with
> the file system on that USBEHD. There was no need to convert that drive from
> FAT32 to NTFS, but it's of no import here. The 4 GB limitation involving
> moving/copying individual files in a FAT32 environment is irrelevant and I
> don't know why Yves raised that as a possible issue in this situation.
>
> Please furnish detailed information on *precisely* how you used the Ghost
> program to undertake the disk cloning process. Do so step-by-step. And
> please provide details.
>
> Had you previously used the Ghost program to successfully perform a disk
> cloning operation? There's no problem with your working drive, right? It
> boots without a problem and functions properly, right? And your USBEHD is
> similarly functioning without problems, right?
> Anna

I forgot the other information you asked about.

I have NOT used Ghost before. This software was recommended to me because
of the feature to restore the operating system in toto. I have a lot of
marine navigational software and date on this laptop, and lost it 2x in the
last 6 months one system crash and one HD mechanical crash. this software
was to be the answer for me to salvage my computer 'investment' more
efficiently.

Both drives work well. I can copy data to and from both (in large
quantities (25 BG) without any hitches.

"polaris6" wrote:

> Thank you. I don't suppose it would be wise to reformat the USB HD back to
> the original FAT32 format. Actually, I don't know how to do that. I may not
> have the software to do it.
>
> Anyway, here I go, step-by-step.
>
> 1. I have reformatted the USB HD (40 GB) and it is now 'clean'.
>
> 2. I R-click on the G9 icon (tray), click on Back up now, then Back up
> drives
>
> 3. Up comes the Wizard and I click, Next, the select the C-drive to back up.
>
> 4. Then I click, Next, then Browse, then F-drive (the USB HD), radio button
> selects Local File, then click on Next.
>
> 5. This is the Options page; I select Standard Compression, then click on
> Next (which provides a Summary of the task), then click on Next
>
> 6. Any away it goes, starting with Initialization.
>
> After about 2 hours (about 6-9 GB later)... (34 GB to back up), the computer
> hangs up and I have to reboot to get it to do anything. I have tried this
> 7-8 times now and have reformatted the HD each time before I start the
> process again. Each new time, I followed the advice given me, thinking that
> it might make a difference, and it hasn't.
>
> Thanks.
>
> george (polaris6)
>

> .

> > "polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I reformatted the USB Drive from FAT32 to NTFS.
> >

> > George:
> > Whatever problem you're having with Ghost 9 to (presumably) clone the
> > contents of your laptop's HD to a USB external HD has *nothing* to do with
> > the file system on that USBEHD. There was no need to convert that drive from
> > FAT32 to NTFS, but it's of no import here. The 4 GB limitation involving
> > moving/copying individual files in a FAT32 environment is irrelevant and I
> > don't know why Yves raised that as a possible issue in this situation.
> >
> > Please furnish detailed information on *precisely* how you used the Ghost
> > program to undertake the disk cloning process. Do so step-by-step. And
> > please provide details.
> >
> > Had you previously used the Ghost program to successfully perform a disk
> > cloning operation? There's no problem with your working drive, right? It
> > boots without a problem and functions properly, right? And your USBEHD is
> > similarly functioning without problems, right?
> > Anna

Ghost 9, and almost any imaging program I suppose, does not like hard disk
errors. When I ran across this problem I ran chkdsk c: /f, from the command
prompt window. When the computer again booted up I was able to complete the
Ghost image.

Try it and see if it helps you also.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am getting frustrated trying to back up my HD using Ghost 9.
>
> I have tried several times (5) now and I get essentially the same
> results...the process hangs every time before it ever finishes the first
> image, usually about 20-50% of the complete 'job'.
>
> I have a WD Passport USB drive (40GB) which was formatted FAT32 and I
> reformatted it for NTFS on the advice of another experienced user. That
> made
> no difference.
>
> I have a laptop (Dell), P4 processor (2 ghz), 512 RAM, XP Pro operating
> system.
>
> Any direction/help would severly curtain the anxiety and frustration I am
> having with this 'bear'.
>
> Thank you.
>
> george (polaris6)

Did you run chkddsk on the c-drive or the USB drive, or both?

Did you run this from the command prompt? I think that is what you wrote.

polaris6

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> Ghost 9, and almost any imaging program I suppose, does not like hard disk
> errors. When I ran across this problem I ran chkdsk c: /f, from the command
> prompt window. When the computer again booted up I was able to complete the
> Ghost image.
>
> Try it and see if it helps you also.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am getting frustrated trying to back up my HD using Ghost 9.
> >
> > I have tried several times (5) now and I get essentially the same
> > results...the process hangs every time before it ever finishes the first
> > image, usually about 20-50% of the complete 'job'.
> >
> > I have a WD Passport USB drive (40GB) which was formatted FAT32 and I
> > reformatted it for NTFS on the advice of another experienced user. That
> > made
> > no difference.
> >
> > I have a laptop (Dell), P4 processor (2 ghz), 512 RAM, XP Pro operating
> > system.
> >
> > Any direction/help would severly curtain the anxiety and frustration I am
> > having with this 'bear'.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > george (polaris6)

Just on my Windows partition. Apparently there was a logical error that
caused Ghost to fault out. It certainly wouldn't hurt to check your external
drive also.

--

> Did you run chkddsk on the c-drive or the USB drive, or both?
>
> Did you run this from the command prompt? I think that is what you wrote.
>
> polaris6
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Ghost 9, and almost any imaging program I suppose, does not like hard
>> disk
>> errors. When I ran across this problem I ran chkdsk c: /f, from the
>> command
>> prompt window. When the computer again booted up I was able to complete
>> the
>> Ghost image.
>>
>> Try it and see if it helps you also.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "polaris6" <polaris6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am getting frustrated trying to back up my HD using Ghost 9.
>> >
>> > I have tried several times (5) now and I get essentially the same
>> > results...the process hangs every time before it ever finishes the
>> > first
>> > image, usually about 20-50% of the complete 'job'.
>> >
>> > I have a WD Passport USB drive (40GB) which was formatted FAT32 and I
>> > reformatted it for NTFS on the advice of another experienced user.
>> > That
>> > made
>> > no difference.
>> >
>> > I have a laptop (Dell), P4 processor (2 ghz), 512 RAM, XP Pro operating
>> > system.
>> >
>> > Any direction/help would severly curtain the anxiety and frustration I
>> > am
>> > having with this 'bear'.
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>> >
>> > george (polaris6)

I have done both. I am now trying to back up again.

TRENDING THREADS