[WFB] Newbie HE Player

Hey Everyone i'm new to the groups and new to warhammer. i'm about to
go and build a high elf army and was wondering if you had any tips on,
Painting, Army Composition, Anything. I'm looking to make the high elfs
mean, but clean, hahah im color blind so you'll need to make some
specifics. thanks in advance!
-Tony

<youravatar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey Everyone i'm new to the groups and new to warhammer. i'm about to
> go and build a high elf army and was wondering if you had any tips on,
> Painting, Army Composition, Anything. I'm looking to make the high elfs
> mean, but clean, hahah im color blind so you'll need to make some
> specifics. thanks in advance!
> -Tony

First: the rumor is that a High Elf Battalion Box is coming out "soon."
Depending on where you live, the battalion boxes are really good deals that
may be worth waiting for.

Second: General consensus on High Elves is that they are strongest when used
as a cavalry heavy army, with Spearman providing bulk to combat resolution
and Archers acting as, well, archers. What I mean is that while the Silver
Helms can do a lot of damage (at least relativly) they often won't Outnumber
or gain ranks on their opponent, while Spearelves are cheap enough to feild
in large blocks with multiple ranks that can often outnumber the enemy, but
have trouble doing wounds. Even the color blind can see the "chocolate &
peanut butter" style combo.

Third: By treaty, ratified by the EU, the US, the entire British
Commonwealth and OPEC, every High Elf Army must be painted royal blue, with
white trim and plenty of silver and gold. it's not my decision, but it's
the law. Prime them white, paint anything fabric blue, trim white, armor &
weapons silver, and the horses grey.

Fourth: High Elves are some of the most powerful magic users in warhammer,
ranking only slightly behind Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Tzeentch, Tomb Kings,
Vampire Counts, and a handful of others. This is something you can exploit,
in case you ever run into an Orc army or something. (this hint may be less
useful than some others)

Fifth: Never buy a metal unit until you've proxied it.

sixth: two blocks of Helms, one of spears, two minimum archers, and two
reaper bolt throwers isn't a bad start. In fact, that may end up being two
Battalion Boxes (crosses fingers)

Karyth Teel

> Hey Everyone i'm new to the groups and new to warhammer. i'm about to
> go and build a high elf army and was wondering if you had any tips on,
> Painting, Army Composition, Anything. I'm looking to make the high elfs
> mean, but clean, hahah im color blind so you'll need to make some
> specifics. thanks in advance!
> -Tony

yea i got a tip for you
dump the elfs and start a REAL MEN'S game
WH 40.000 hahahah

nooooo just kiddin' you want a real tip?
buy the book "how to paint your models"
there some GOOD tips in there
not just for beginners.

Welcome and greets from Holland
Dappere

Karyth Teel wrote:

> sixth: two blocks of Helms, one of spears, two minimum archers, and two
> reaper bolt throwers isn't a bad start. In fact, that may end up being two
> Battalion Boxes (crosses fingers)

Aren't they coming out with a new plastic reaper "real soon now"? I've
had plans for making an HE warband since the articles came out in White
Dwarf.

"Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@lienhart.name> wrote in message
> Karyth Teel wrote:
>
> > sixth: two blocks of Helms, one of spears, two minimum archers, and two
> > reaper bolt throwers isn't a bad start. In fact, that may end up being
two
> > Battalion Boxes (crosses fingers)
>
> Aren't they coming out with a new plastic reaper "real soon now"? I've
> had plans for making an HE warband since the articles came out in White
> Dwarf.

That is, indeed, the rumor. However, I wouldn't expect the new plastic
model to save you any money over the old metal, especially since the current
metal one is only $20 ( the same cost as the empire artillery kit.) Also,
the last few plastic warmachines (empire artillery and Orc Chariot) weren't
the greatest models in the range. I at least prefer the old metal
artillery.

The one upshoot is that there may be a High Elf Battalion, but that really
raises the question of why isn't there one already? Tomb Kings battalion
boxes only held three plastic kits (chariots, cavalry, and skellies, so
there's certianly no problem with a Archer/Silverhelm/Spearman battalion.
While Empire and Orcs held four units a piece, two of those units were the
awful plastics from the game box so they hardly count. I guess the new Ogre
box holds four units, but they can hardly claim a brand new product set the
precedent four years ago.

Karyth Teel

"Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@lienhart.name> wrote in message
> Karyth Teel wrote:
>
>> sixth: two blocks of Helms, one of spears, two minimum archers, and two
>> reaper bolt throwers isn't a bad start. In fact, that may end up being
>> two
>> Battalion Boxes (crosses fingers)
>
> Aren't they coming out with a new plastic reaper "real soon now"? I've had
> plans for making an HE warband since the articles came out in White Dwarf.

All for the low price of $40...crew sold separately

"Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@lienhart.name> wrote in message
> Karyth Teel wrote:
>
>> sixth: two blocks of Helms, one of spears, two minimum archers, and two
>> reaper bolt throwers isn't a bad start. In fact, that may end up being
>> two
>> Battalion Boxes (crosses fingers)
>
> Aren't they coming out with a new plastic reaper "real soon now"?

That would be nice, but no, they're coming out with a plastic Eagle's Claw.
:) Eagle's Claw being the HE Bolt Thrower, Reaper the DE one. Not sure how
soon is "real soon", but since it's been shown in White Dwarf and will be
part of the HE releases for the Lustrian Realms book (also mentioned in WD),
I'm guessing three or four months.

Philip Bowles

Thx Everyone!!! this is amazing =P the law or not im giving them a
darker Trim Maybe a black and white ^_ | or red and white after my home
country =) GO CANADA!