New ram not working right

y3llo

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2003
NF7-S rev2 bios v27
AMD 200x12 @1.85v

old ram: 2x256 OCZ pc3500 (worked fine)
new ram: 2x1GB PGI pc3200

I first tried running the ram at it's default timings, 3-4-4-8. Windows booted fine, BF2 crashed during the menu or when I was trying to load a map. So I uninstalled BF2 again and during installation I get these errors I've never seen before: "MD5Error: Could not copy "....Blah.zip"" I was able to boot at 2.5-3-3-6, but again, I would get the same install errors. So I finally put my old OCZ ram back in 2-3-4-11 @ 2.9v (best timings I could ever get with it) Now BF2 is installing and not crashing. I have a problem with my new ram. But here is an update: After setting my FSB/Dram ratio to 6/5 (333Mhz), the ram ran smooth. I played Doom 3 and BF2 without crashing. So is that just it? Do I settle for 333 FSB with my ram? Is there something different about a 400 FSB cpu that is overclocked compared to a stock 400 FSB cpu? To me, the ram wouldn't know the difference and would just work at it's rated 400 FSB..

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Check yer board and cpu specs to make sure. Oh, and don't be shocked if you have problems with BF2, since it's poorly coded and all.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>

I know that the newcastle/Winchester core CPUs have issues with more than four banks of memory and automatically downclock to 333Mhz when there are more than 4 banks installed. This may simply be the same type of memory controller issue. How dos it work with only one of the PQI sticks installed?

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
You want to check the brand of the chips on the modules if possible. Major brand chips (Micron, Samsung, Infineon) are more reliable that non-major brand. It could be the case that your PGI modules are built using non-major chips.

Your other question:
An overclocked CPU is running out of it's standard specification. There are many potential differences in comparison to the same CPU running at stock 400 FSB, namely power consumption, heat and stability.

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem<font color=white>