Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Autocomplete

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 8:58:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Does anyone know where form autocomplete data is saved in Windows? In
other words, if I search for something in Google, and I want that text
to disappear from the drop-down list of previous searches, how do I
remove it?

Thanks

More about : autocomplete

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 8:58:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hit your Delete key after clicking once on the entry you
wish to remove.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tim Smith" wrote:

| Does anyone know where form autocomplete data is saved in Windows? In
| other words, if I search for something in Google, and I want that text
| to disappear from the drop-down list of previous searches, how do I
| remove it?
|
| Thanks
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 9:00:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Tim Smith" <tim@nospam.uk> wrote in message
news:3kn4shFuv5n8U1@individual.net...
> Does anyone know where form autocomplete data is saved in Windows? In
> other words, if I search for something in Google, and I want that text to
> disappear from the drop-down list of previous searches, how do I remove
> it?

If you just want to remove a few entries rather than everything, just hover
over the entry (don't click on it) in the dropdown and press the Delete
key - it deletes it. :) 

Dan
Related resources
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 1:41:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Open Search and scroll down and click Change Preferences,
thing uen click "Turn Autocomplete Off".
[this won't exactly clear the search history it will clear the drop
down menus]
regards,
ssg MS-MVP


Tim Smith wrote:

> Does anyone know where form autocomplete data is saved in Windows? In
> other words, if I search for something in Google, and I want that text
> to disappear from the drop-down list of previous searches, how do I
> remove it?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:05:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

To modify your settings for the AutoComplete feature or clear all items from
the list of form or password suggestions, follow these steps in Internet
Explorer:

1.On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
2.Click the Content tab.
3.Click AutoComplete.
4.Click the appropriate AutoComplete check boxes, or click Clear Forms or
Clear Passwords to clear all saved items from the appropriate AutoComplete
history.
5.Click OK, and then click OK.

To clear individual items from the list of form or password suggestions,
click the item in the list of suggestions for that field and then press
DELETE. The AutoComplete list automatically appears when you perform any of
the following actions on a previously populated form:

* Type the first character in the field
* Press the UP or DOWN keys in the field
* Double-click a blank area in the field

Source:
How to use the AutoComplete feature in Internet Explorer 5 and 6:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217148

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Tim Smith" <tim@nospam.uk> wrote in message
news:3kn4shFuv5n8U1@individual.net...
> Does anyone know where form autocomplete data is saved in Windows? In
> other words, if I search for something in Google, and I want that text to
> disappear from the drop-down list of previous searches, how do I remove
> it?
>
> Thanks
July 27, 2005 3:05:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:05:15 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

>3.Click AutoComplete.
>4.Click the appropriate AutoComplete check boxes

I have all four boxes checked on mine:
"Use Autocomplete for"
1. Web Addresses
2. Forms
3. User names and passwords on forms
4. Prompt me to save passwords

However, it will not ask me if I wish to save names and passwords nor
will it save either. This was all working before SP-2 but has never
worked since. Not really a big deal as I can type sign on user names
and passwords in manually each time but it sure was nice to have it do
it for me like back before SP-2 when it worked. Got any ideas.

Regards,
Ed
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 1:36:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ed,

See if this applies.

The AutoComplete feature does not work after you enable it in Internet
Explorer on a computer that is running Windows XP Home Edition:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885180

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
news:kkpde1phfq51jaqc1j2ot3di7so164jvdl@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:05:15 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>3.Click AutoComplete.
>>4.Click the appropriate AutoComplete check boxes
>
> I have all four boxes checked on mine:
> "Use Autocomplete for"
> 1. Web Addresses
> 2. Forms
> 3. User names and passwords on forms
> 4. Prompt me to save passwords
>
> However, it will not ask me if I wish to save names and passwords nor
> will it save either. This was all working before SP-2 but has never
> worked since. Not really a big deal as I can type sign on user names
> and passwords in manually each time but it sure was nice to have it do
> it for me like back before SP-2 when it worked. Got any ideas.
>
> Regards,
> Ed
July 27, 2005 8:04:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:36:33 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

>The AutoComplete feature does not work after you enable it in Internet
>Explorer on a computer that is running Windows XP Home Edition:
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885180

Thanks for the link. However, everything comes to a halt when trying
to do #6 of the instructions (Delete the subkey). I get an error that
says:

"Error: Cannot delete S-x-x-xxxxxxxxxx: Error while deleting key."

I have only one account on this computer thus meaning that there is
only one Subkey S-x-x-xxxxxxxxxx.

Any further suggestions on how to get this subkey deleted?

Regards,
Ed
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 1:48:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

See "Assigning Permissions to a Registry Key" in this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310426

Take ownership of a registry key:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Ed" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
news:qjpfe1pimbkskvno9i627qultoje0g57iq@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:36:33 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
> <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>The AutoComplete feature does not work after you enable it in Internet
>>Explorer on a computer that is running Windows XP Home Edition:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=885180
>
> Thanks for the link. However, everything comes to a halt when trying
> to do #6 of the instructions (Delete the subkey). I get an error that
> says:
>
> "Error: Cannot delete S-x-x-xxxxxxxxxx: Error while deleting key."
>
> I have only one account on this computer thus meaning that there is
> only one Subkey S-x-x-xxxxxxxxxx.
>
> Any further suggestions on how to get this subkey deleted?
>
> Regards,
> Ed
!