rpm question

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
alright, i'm not so versed with hard drive performance difference, i can get 2 160 gb IDE 5400rpm drives for a VERY cheap price, but then how would those compare to SATA 7200rpm. i know the connecters don't really matter, but compare reliability of SATA to IDE and 5400vs7200 in rpms.

<font color=red>gforce mx100/200 @ 230/440 =]</font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
There is quite a bit of difference between 5400 and 7200 rpm. If the drive is just for storage I wouldn't worry about it to much though. Storage drives usually dont need to be super fast.
If it is for your boot drive or will have stuff installed to it I wouldn't go under 7200rpm.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Reliability? Most name brand 5400RPM drives are very reliable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
okay, that reasures me, so here's what i was thinking about

raptor + 2x maxtor 160gb (5400rpm)

vs

2x WD caviar SE 120gb in raid 0

mostly for gaming and some video editing and web design

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Raptor will always have better seek times, and RAID0 can be a nightmare if something goes wrong!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
icic, but say i use a normal 7200rpm and on another system is the raptor, both boot up using the same OS and same software (basically same everything, cept hard drive) what time difference would i see?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably 2-5 seconds less boot time.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And yet we see, over and over again, guys comming in here crying about their lost array and asking how to get it back, and yet they have modern hardware too.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
RAID5 compared to RAID0? Depends on the processor, some RAID processors are powerfull enough to make the difference small.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I was once skeptical about Asian sheep shaggers, but you solved that dillema.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention!

TRENDING THREADS