XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

I hope someone can help me with this. I used the XP Files and Settings
Transfer Wizard before rebuilding a machine. I rebuilt the machine and then
tried to use the file to restore all files etc and the wizard comes up with
not a valid file format.

The two files that are in there are img00001.dat and a second file called
status.

Is there any way I can open the dat file or extract the files it contains?
7 answers Last reply
More about files settings transfer wizard

    1. After you have installed XP and your programs, open the
    Files & Settings Transfer Wizard and select "New Computer".
    2. Select "I don't need the Wizard Disk......"
    3. Browse to your CD Drive and insert the CD containing the
    "USMT2.UNC" file.
    4. Your Files and Settings will begin installing on the new drive.

    Note:

    The .DAT file within the USMT2.UNC folder should be named IMG00001.DAT
    There should also be a file named "status". If you have these two files within
    the USMT2.UNC folder, you should only browse to the "USMT2.UNC" folder
    when using the wizard.

    ==> Make sure your IMG00001 file is properly named: IMG00001.DAT

    You need to browse to the location of the "USMT2.UNC" folder. Do not browse
    to or select the IMG00001.DAT file, only the USMT2.UNC folder itself.

    For example, my location is: C:\Old Computer Files\Transfers\USMT2.UNC

    HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp

    List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    Dealing with corrupt Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (F.A.S.T) image
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Jon Scales" wrote:

    | I hope someone can help me with this. I used the XP Files and Settings
    | Transfer Wizard before rebuilding a machine. I rebuilt the machine and then
    | tried to use the file to restore all files etc and the wizard comes up with
    | not a valid file format.
    |
    | The two files that are in there are img00001.dat and a second file called
    | status.
    |
    | Is there any way I can open the dat file or extract the files it contains?

    Carey,

    Thanks for that. I did what you said and got the following response from the
    Wizard;

    The location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please
    type a valid folder path into the edit box.

    Both the .dat file and the Status file are there. The .dat has a file size
    of 741mb.

    Jon

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > 1. After you have installed XP and your programs, open the
    > Files & Settings Transfer Wizard and select "New Computer".
    > 2. Select "I don't need the Wizard Disk......"
    > 3. Browse to your CD Drive and insert the CD containing the
    > "USMT2.UNC" file.
    > 4. Your Files and Settings will begin installing on the new drive.
    >
    > Note:
    >
    > The .DAT file within the USMT2.UNC folder should be named IMG00001.DAT
    > There should also be a file named "status". If you have these two files within
    > the USMT2.UNC folder, you should only browse to the "USMT2.UNC" folder
    > when using the wizard.
    >
    > ==> Make sure your IMG00001 file is properly named: IMG00001.DAT
    >
    > You need to browse to the location of the "USMT2.UNC" folder. Do not browse
    > to or select the IMG00001.DAT file, only the USMT2.UNC folder itself.
    >
    > For example, my location is: C:\Old Computer Files\Transfers\USMT2.UNC
    >

    > HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp
    >
    > List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    > the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903
    >
    > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >
    > Dealing with corrupt Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (F.A.S.T) image
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Jon Scales" wrote:
    >
    > | I hope someone can help me with this. I used the XP Files and Settings
    > | Transfer Wizard before rebuilding a machine. I rebuilt the machine and then
    > | tried to use the file to restore all files etc and the wizard comes up with
    > | not a valid file format.
    > |
    > | The two files that are in there are img00001.dat and a second file called
    > | status.
    > |
    > | Is there any way I can open the dat file or extract the files it contains?

    In the example below it says to browse to the USMT folder, that doesn't
    work. If you browse to the folder containing the USMT2.UNC folder, Transfer,
    in the example, it works. So if your USMT folder is at the root of your D:\
    drive you would browse to D:\ If it is in another folder browse to that
    folder not to the UMSMT2.UNC folder.

    Hope it works for you.

    "Jon Scales" <JonScales@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Carey,
    >
    > Thanks for that. I did what you said and got the following response from
    > the
    > Wizard;
    >
    > The location that you specified does not contain stored information.
    > Please
    > type a valid folder path into the edit box.
    >
    > Both the .dat file and the Status file are there. The .dat has a file size
    > of 741mb.
    >
    > Jon
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> 1. After you have installed XP and your programs, open the
    >> Files & Settings Transfer Wizard and select "New Computer".
    >> 2. Select "I don't need the Wizard Disk......"
    >> 3. Browse to your CD Drive and insert the CD containing the
    >> "USMT2.UNC" file.
    >> 4. Your Files and Settings will begin installing on the new drive.
    >>
    >> Note:
    >>
    >> The .DAT file within the USMT2.UNC folder should be named IMG00001.DAT
    >> There should also be a file named "status". If you have these two files
    >> within
    >> the USMT2.UNC folder, you should only browse to the "USMT2.UNC" folder
    >> when using the wizard.
    >>
    >> ==> Make sure your IMG00001 file is properly named: IMG00001.DAT
    >>
    >> You need to browse to the location of the "USMT2.UNC" folder. Do not
    >> browse
    >> to or select the IMG00001.DAT file, only the USMT2.UNC folder itself.
    >>
    >> For example, my location is: C:\Old Computer Files\Transfers\USMT2.UNC
    >>

    >> HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp
    >>
    >> List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    >> the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903
    >>
    >> Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >>
    >> Dealing with corrupt Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (F.A.S.T) image
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >> "Jon Scales" wrote:
    >>
    >> | I hope someone can help me with this. I used the XP Files and Settings
    >> | Transfer Wizard before rebuilding a machine. I rebuilt the machine and
    >> then
    >> | tried to use the file to restore all files etc and the wizard comes up
    >> with
    >> | not a valid file format.
    >> |
    >> | The two files that are in there are img00001.dat and a second file
    >> called
    >> | status.
    >> |
    >> | Is there any way I can open the dat file or extract the files it
    >> contains?

    Beb, Carey,

    I have tried both these things. Is there another way of reading the .dat
    file and extracting the information? Or is there a file missing? In the
    umst2.unc folder there are two files. The img00001.dat and the status
    file......

    Jon

    "Jon Scales" wrote:

    | Beb, Carey,
    |
    | I have tried both these things. Is there another way of reading the .dat
    | file and extracting the information? Or is there a file missing? In the
    | umst2.unc folder there are two files. The img00001.dat and the status
    | file......
    |
    | Jon

    Carey,

    Thanks for the link. I have also tried this using the fastconv.exe file.
    Looking at the examples and the way the switches are used, I have tried
    various permutations of the command, still says it is corrupt or not valid.
    Are there any other programs that can access/ read the file?

    Thanks

    Jon

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Dealing with corrupt Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (F.A.S.T) image
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Jon Scales" wrote:
    >
    > | Beb, Carey,
    > |
    > | I have tried both these things. Is there another way of reading the .dat
    > | file and extracting the information? Or is there a file missing? In the
    > | umst2.unc folder there are two files. The img00001.dat and the status
    > | file......
    > |
    > | Jon

    Hi Carey.

    I have a sililar problem. I've used the Wizard to copy files to a removable
    hard disk; it created a USMTIMG folder and within this folder created the
    following 3 files: IMG00001.DAT, IMC00002.DAT and STATUS. When attempting to
    "restore" through the wizard I get "The location that you specified loes not
    contain stored information. Please retype a valid folder path." error
    message.

    Can you help? Thanks
    --
    Bill Walker

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > 1. After you have installed XP and your programs, open the
    > Files & Settings Transfer Wizard and select "New Computer".
    > 2. Select "I don't need the Wizard Disk......"
    > 3. Browse to your CD Drive and insert the CD containing the
    > "USMT2.UNC" file.
    > 4. Your Files and Settings will begin installing on the new drive.
    >
    > Note:
    >
    > The .DAT file within the USMT2.UNC folder should be named IMG00001.DAT
    > There should also be a file named "status". If you have these two files within
    > the USMT2.UNC folder, you should only browse to the "USMT2.UNC" folder
    > when using the wizard.
    >
    > ==> Make sure your IMG00001 file is properly named: IMG00001.DAT
    >
    > You need to browse to the location of the "USMT2.UNC" folder. Do not browse
    > to or select the IMG00001.DAT file, only the USMT2.UNC folder itself.
    >
    > For example, my location is: C:\Old Computer Files\Transfers\USMT2.UNC
    >

    > HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp
    >
    > List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    > the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903
    >
    > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >
    > Dealing with corrupt Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (F.A.S.T) image
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Jon Scales" wrote:
    >
    > | I hope someone can help me with this. I used the XP Files and Settings
    > | Transfer Wizard before rebuilding a machine. I rebuilt the machine and then
    > | tried to use the file to restore all files etc and the wizard comes up with
    > | not a valid file format.
    > |
    > | The two files that are in there are img00001.dat and a second file called
    > | status.
    > |
    > | Is there any way I can open the dat file or extract the files it contains?

File Format Microsoft Windows XP