Sign in with
Your question

Maxtor OneTouch II corrupt - how to recover files?

Last response: in Storage
July 2, 2005 8:45:21 PM

I just transfered some data from Maxtor OneTouch II to my computer, but suddenly it stopped and showed raw datas, which means that the files became corrupt.

So I tried to fix it by restarting Windows XP and letting chkdsk do its job (BTW, it said that some of the files and chain files are truncated - I don't understand what that means to my data :(  ) . Consequently, the external drive no longer showed raw datas but instead a folder named "found.000" (filled with thousands of "chk" files) and a file named "&2&2". What does that mean?

BTW, its total capacity is 200GB (189GB formatted), and I used up 158 GB. Somehow "found.000" folder and "&2&2" file make up only 59.5 GB. Almost 100GB is missing.

Then I tried the latest Powermax from Maxtor to see if I can fix it, but it turned out that Powermax doesn't detect external harddrive (Mine is USB2.0). So no luck there.

Is there anyway to recover the data back? Or am I pretty much out of luck and have to reformat the HD ? Please please help.
July 3, 2005 12:24:28 AM

See if any file recovery software can see it. I've used Undelete in the past and it worked ok.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
July 4, 2005 5:57:17 PM

give stellar phoenix a try. You can download a trial version that will allow you to scan the harddisk and see what it can recover.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 4, 2005 6:38:49 PM

I had good luck with Winternal's Recovery tool!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
!