  • Dell
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 26, 2005 1:27:02 PM

I have been trying to get an answer with Dell, since it is a Dell desktop. I
have been given at least 5 suggestions of what to change on my system, which
are mostly Windows related. They can't help, I hoping you can.
The problem is, when I am in any program or on the Internet the screen I am
viewing or typing on will suddenly go to inactive mode. The screen will go
back to active when I click the mouse on the screen. Any suggestions?
--
Lisa F

More about : inactive active screens

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:50:04 PM

This is for my home computer. I have Windows XP Home Edition if that helps.
--
Lisa F

"Lisa F" wrote:

> I have been trying to get an answer with Dell, since it is a Dell desktop. I
> have been given at least 5 suggestions of what to change on my system, which
> are mostly Windows related. They can't help, I hoping you can.
> The problem is, when I am in any program or on the Internet the screen I am
> viewing or typing on will suddenly go to inactive mode. The screen will go
> back to active when I click the mouse on the screen. Any suggestions?
> --
> Lisa F
July 26, 2005 2:57:54 PM

Lisa F wrote:

> I have been trying to get an answer with Dell, since it is a Dell desktop. I
> have been given at least 5 suggestions of what to change on my system, which
> are mostly Windows related. They can't help, I hoping you can.
> The problem is, when I am in any program or on the Internet the screen I am
> viewing or typing on will suddenly go to inactive mode. The screen will go
> back to active when I click the mouse on the screen. Any suggestions?

Download Tweakui, one of the MS powertoys, from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...

Run it and under the General Tab click on Focus. Put a tic mark in
"Prevent applications from stealing focus". Ok out. See if that helps.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

The web site looks to be for xp pro, I have xp home. Does it matter? Either
way I will try your suggestion this evening when I have access to the
computer.
Another question - do you think this is Dell related and maybe it is the
video card?
--
Lisa F

"Rock" wrote:

> Lisa F wrote:
>
> > I have been trying to get an answer with Dell, since it is a Dell desktop. I
> > have been given at least 5 suggestions of what to change on my system, which
> > are mostly Windows related. They can't help, I hoping you can.
> > The problem is, when I am in any program or on the Internet the screen I am
> > viewing or typing on will suddenly go to inactive mode. The screen will go
> > back to active when I click the mouse on the screen. Any suggestions?
>
> Download Tweakui, one of the MS powertoys, from here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...
>
> Run it and under the General Tab click on Focus. Put a tic mark in
> "Prevent applications from stealing focus". Ok out. See if that helps.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 26, 2005 7:46:38 PM

Lisa F wrote:

> The web site looks to be for xp pro, I have xp home. Does it matter? Either
> way I will try your suggestion this evening when I have access to the
> computer.
> Another question - do you think this is Dell related and maybe it is the
> video card?

It works fine for Home. What it means is some program is running the
background stealing the focus. I wouldn't expect it to be video card
related.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

I already downloaded the file you suggest. i am about to run it, but noticed
it came up for SP 1. I have SP2. Will it still work as it should?
--
Lisa F

"Rock" wrote:

> Lisa F wrote:
>
> > The web site looks to be for xp pro, I have xp home. Does it matter? Either
> > way I will try your suggestion this evening when I have access to the
> > computer.
> > Another question - do you think this is Dell related and maybe it is the
> > video card?
>
> It works fine for Home. What it means is some program is running the
> background stealing the focus. I wouldn't expect it to be video card
> related.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 26, 2005 9:17:25 PM

Lisa F wrote:

> I already downloaded the file you suggest. i am about to run it, but noticed
> it came up for SP 1. I have SP2. Will it still work as it should?

Yes

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

I ran TweakUI. So far I think it is working, but there is another problem.
Each time I restart or turn on the computer I have to put the tick mark on
again. Why won't it stay there?
--
Lisa F

"Rock" wrote:

> Lisa F wrote:
>
> > I already downloaded the file you suggest. i am about to run it, but noticed
> > it came up for SP 1. I have SP2. Will it still work as it should?
>
> Yes
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 27, 2005 7:24:00 PM

Lisa F wrote:

> I ran TweakUI. So far I think it is working, but there is another problem.
> Each time I restart or turn on the computer I have to put the tick mark on
> again. Why won't it stay there?

Have you done a thorough scan for malware? Run an AV scan in safe mode
with a current program and up to date definitions?

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Richard Harper’s Guide to Cleaning Pests
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

This sounds like some program is running intermittently and stealing
focus from your open window. Run task manager and see what process is
starting intermitently. Possibly spyware or malware is the cause.
On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:27:03 -0700, Lisa F
<LisaF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I ran TweakUI. So far I think it is working, but there is another problem.
>Each time I restart or turn on the computer I have to put the tick mark on
>again. Why won't it stay there?
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 1:38:31 AM

Scott - how do I run task manager? The only task manager I am familiar with
is when CTRL-ALT-DEL is hit together. Is this what you are referring to? If
so the only things listed are the ones I am currently using.
--
Lisa F

"Scott" wrote:

> This sounds like some program is running intermittently and stealing
> focus from your open window. Run task manager and see what process is
> starting intermitently. Possibly spyware or malware is the cause.
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:27:03 -0700, Lisa F
> <LisaF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I ran TweakUI. So far I think it is working, but there is another problem.
> >Each time I restart or turn on the computer I have to put the tick mark on
> >again. Why won't it stay there?

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 1:42:04 PM

I don't have malware. What is it? How do I get it?
How do I run AV scan? What is it?
--
Lisa F

"Rock" wrote:

> Lisa F wrote:
>
> > I ran TweakUI. So far I think it is working, but there is another problem.
> > Each time I restart or turn on the computer I have to put the tick mark on
> > again. Why won't it stay there?
>
> Have you done a thorough scan for malware? Run an AV scan in safe mode
> with a current program and up to date definitions?
>
> THE PARASITE FIGHT
> Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>
> Richard Harper’s Guide to Cleaning Pests
> http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
>

> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

July 29, 2005 12:33:08 AM

Lisa F wrote:

> I don't have malware. What is it? How do I get it?
> How do I run AV scan? What is it?

AV means anti virus. What anti-virus program do you use? Is it a
recent one with up to date definitions? Run the AV scan in safe mode.
Reboot the computer, as the BIOS screen disappears tap the F8 key
repeatedly to get the advanced options menu. One is safe mode. This
loads a limited set of services and drivers. Once booted run the AV scan.

Malware means programs that you don't want that can cause problems such
as adware, spyware, dialers, key loggers, trojans, hijackers etc. You
need to run a variety of programs to catch all these little nasties.

The two links I provided give some good info on what programs to use and
how to deal with this malware problem.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

I will try your last suggestion. thx.
Tell me what you think of this. It has been suggested I remove items from
the start up through msconfig. I have removed many items. Now the only time
the windows goes inactive is when I am on the Internet, not when I am in MS
Word, Outlook, or other programs. Does this possbily mean I have almost
disabled everthing I should have in the msconfig? There is one I am not sure
if I should disable, "hkcmd" which is described as being "installed by the
Intell 810 and 815 chipset graphic drivers. According to
www.sysinfo.org/startuplist this is a user's choice to either enable or
disable. What do you think?
--
Lisa F

"Rock" wrote:

> Lisa F wrote:
>
> > I don't have malware. What is it? How do I get it?
> > How do I run AV scan? What is it?
>
> AV means anti virus. What anti-virus program do you use? Is it a
> recent one with up to date definitions? Run the AV scan in safe mode.
> Reboot the computer, as the BIOS screen disappears tap the F8 key
> repeatedly to get the advanced options menu. One is safe mode. This
> loads a limited set of services and drivers. Once booted run the AV scan.
>
> Malware means programs that you don't want that can cause problems such
> as adware, spyware, dialers, key loggers, trojans, hijackers etc. You
> need to run a variety of programs to catch all these little nasties.
>
> The two links I provided give some good info on what programs to use and
> how to deal with this malware problem.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 1:28:21 PM

I ran AV scan through safe mode. Did not seem to make a difference. No
problems were found.
Please review my last reply and let me know what you think of the items in
question in the msconfig/setup. thx
--
Lisa F

"Lisa F" wrote:

> I will try your last suggestion. thx.
> Tell me what you think of this. It has been suggested I remove items from
> the start up through msconfig. I have removed many items. Now the only time
> the windows goes inactive is when I am on the Internet, not when I am in MS
> Word, Outlook, or other programs. Does this possbily mean I have almost
> disabled everthing I should have in the msconfig? There is one I am not sure
> if I should disable, "hkcmd" which is described as being "installed by the
> Intell 810 and 815 chipset graphic drivers. According to
> www.sysinfo.org/startuplist this is a user's choice to either enable or
> disable. What do you think?
> --
> Lisa F
>

> "Rock" wrote:
>
> > Lisa F wrote:
> >
> > > I don't have malware. What is it? How do I get it?
> > > How do I run AV scan? What is it?
> >
> > AV means anti virus. What anti-virus program do you use? Is it a
> > recent one with up to date definitions? Run the AV scan in safe mode.
> > Reboot the computer, as the BIOS screen disappears tap the F8 key
> > repeatedly to get the advanced options menu. One is safe mode. This
> > loads a limited set of services and drivers. Once booted run the AV scan.
> >
> > Malware means programs that you don't want that can cause problems such
> > as adware, spyware, dialers, key loggers, trojans, hijackers etc. You
> > need to run a variety of programs to catch all these little nasties.
> >
> > The two links I provided give some good info on what programs to use and
> > how to deal with this malware problem.
> >
> > --
> > Rock
> > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

August 2, 2005 1:20:49 AM

Lisa F wrote:
> I ran AV scan through safe mode. Did not seem to make a difference. No
> problems were found.
> Please review my last reply and let me know what you think of the items in
> question in the msconfig/setup. thx

Did you run the other anti-malware programs in safe mode too? It takes
more than just an AV program.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User