[Paint][WFB] Colour advice about griffon needed

Ewok

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2005

Hi!

I'm painting a griffon, and I have no problem with the birdy
parts. The problem is the liony parts. I don't know wich colours to
use, being colour blind can be a problem sometime. It would be really
nice with some tips on wich colours to use, I would prefer the names
of the colours either in GW or in Vallejo. Those are the colours I
know where to buy, and if someone wrote like, use light brown, I would
still not know which colour that would be.

Thanks in advance
/Your friendly neighbourhood Ewok

--
" Oktober. Detta är en av de särskilt farliga månaderna för fondbörs-
spekulation. De andra äro juli, januari, september, april, november, maj,

"Ewok" <ewok@dd.chalmers.se> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I'm painting a griffon, and I have no problem with the birdy
> parts. The problem is the liony parts. I don't know wich colours to
> use, being colour blind can be a problem sometime. It would be really
> nice with some tips on wich colours to use, I would prefer the names
> of the colours either in GW or in Vallejo. Those are the colours I
> know where to buy, and if someone wrote like, use light brown, I would
> still not know which colour that would be.

I did an Empire army with a Prussian flavor, and tied everything together
with blues. The Griffon I did the entire thing's base coat in Space Wolf
grey (blue gray) and went from there all the way to white. Point of this is,
I skipped on the traditional Griffon coloring in order to make it, and it's
rider carry the coloring scheme of my army. I've received outstanding
compliments on my color choices every time I've played.

" Donovan Borman" <borscope@charter.net> wrote in message

> "Ewok" <ewok@dd.chalmers.se> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm painting a griffon, and I have no problem with the birdy
>> parts. The problem is the liony parts. I don't know wich colours to
>> use, being colour blind can be a problem sometime. It would be really
>> nice with some tips on wich colours to use, I would prefer the names
>> of the colours either in GW or in Vallejo. Those are the colours I
>> know where to buy, and if someone wrote like, use light brown, I would
>> still not know which colour that would be.
>
> I did an Empire army with a Prussian flavor, and tied everything together
> with blues. The Griffon I did the entire thing's base coat in Space Wolf
> grey (blue gray) and went from there all the way to white. Point of this
> is,
> I skipped on the traditional Griffon coloring in order to make it, and
> it's
> rider carry the coloring scheme of my army. I've received outstanding
> compliments on my color choices every time I've played.

What's the traditional griffin color?

"Insane Ranter" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

> " Donovan Borman" <borscope@charter.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ewok" <ewok@dd.chalmers.se> wrote in message
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I'm painting a griffon, and I have no problem with the birdy
> >> parts. The problem is the liony parts. I don't know wich colours to
> >> use, being colour blind can be a problem sometime. It would be really
> >> nice with some tips on wich colours to use, I would prefer the names
> >> of the colours either in GW or in Vallejo. Those are the colours I
> >> know where to buy, and if someone wrote like, use light brown, I would
> >> still not know which colour that would be.
> >
> > I did an Empire army with a Prussian flavor, and tied everything
together
> > with blues. The Griffon I did the entire thing's base coat in Space Wolf
> > grey (blue gray) and went from there all the way to white. Point of this
> > is,
> > I skipped on the traditional Griffon coloring in order to make it, and
> > it's
> > rider carry the coloring scheme of my army. I've received outstanding
> > compliments on my color choices every time I've played.
> >

> What's the traditional griffin color?

Ass end of a lion (er..golden retriever colored), front end of an eagle
(brown etc.)

SPAM

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002

Ewok wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm painting a griffon, and I have no problem with the birdy
> parts. The problem is the liony parts. I don't know wich colours to
> use, being colour blind can be a problem sometime. It would be really
> nice with some tips on wich colours to use, I would prefer the names
> of the colours either in GW or in Vallejo. Those are the colours I
> know where to buy, and if someone wrote like, use light brown, I
would
> still not know which colour that would be.

I've never painted a griffon, but I imagine I would use something like
this:

Lion's body: bestial brown as undercoat, brush over top or generously
drybrush with bubonic brown. If there's any mane bits, use scorched
earth for the undercoat and bestial brown for the top layer. Paint the
claws with scorched earth.

If you're not layering, just use bubonic brown for the body and
scorched earth for the mane.

Death Quaker!

Ewok

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2005

In article <ebhMd.5996$1T4.4531@fe03.lga>,
" Donovan Borman" <borscope@charter.net> writes:
> Ass end of a lion (er..golden retriever colored), front end of an eagle
> (brown etc.)

Which is the thing I have a problem with. Which colours am I supposed
to use to paint the lion colours? As I'm beeing colour blind, I hae no
idea what colours in the bottles translate to the lion colour. It's
not like anyone produces a color named lion green*.

/Your frienly neighbourhood Ewok

*I know that lions are not green, but I do not know what colour they
are.
--

Ewok wrote:

> Which is the thing I have a problem with. Which colours am I supposed
> to use to paint the lion colours? As I'm beeing colour blind, I hae no
> idea what colours in the bottles translate to the lion colour. It's
> not like anyone produces a color named lion green*.

Lions are yellow, with white fur in the belly. And the yellow is quite
near the tone of gold, or ripe wheat on fields as it is meant to be a
camouflage on the savannah.

Ewok wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm painting a griffon, and I have no problem with the birdy
> parts. The problem is the liony parts. I don't know wich colours to
> use, being colour blind can be a problem sometime. It would be really
> nice with some tips on wich colours to use, I would prefer the names
> of the colours either in GW or in Vallejo. Those are the colours I
> know where to buy, and if someone wrote like, use light brown, I would
> still not know which colour that would be.
>
> Thanks in advance
> /Your friendly neighbourhood Ewok

Lions are sort of (GW) Bronzed Flesh or Bubonic/Vomit Brown, Mane is
Snakebite Leather and/or Bestial Brown.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/painting/painting/paint_colour_chart.htm

...has some advise on color uses too.

--
__. _, ( For the Emperor! ) .__
73\(p (A%) )/ 9)/EF

On 2/3/05 5:11 AM, in article ctstcd$ol1$1@eol.dd.chalmers.se, "Ewok"
<ewok@dd.chalmers.se> wrote:

> In article <ebhMd.5996$1T4.4531@fe03.lga>,
> " Donovan Borman" <borscope@charter.net> writes:
>> Ass end of a lion (er..golden retriever colored), front end of an eagle
>> (brown etc.)
>>

> Which is the thing I have a problem with. Which colours am I supposed
> to use to paint the lion colours? As I'm beeing colour blind, I hae no
> idea what colours in the bottles translate to the lion colour. It's
> not like anyone produces a color named lion green*.

The butt is tan or golden brown or something with mustard in the title
maybe. The fluff on the end of the tail is something darker - brown,
coffee, maybe something with burnt in the title.

If the griffon has 'rows' of feathers along the chest, you start with a dark
brown and use an ever lighter color as you go downward or upward, depending
on where you start and which way you want it. If you want to be flashy, the
feathers that blend from brown to yellow/white could be a gold color (not
the awful brassy gold a lot of places sell and a lot of folks use to paint
their stuff.) haha

Or you decide to blend from white to gray (bluish can eek in here) then
black, but I like white/yellow/tan/brown/dark brown/black - gives me more
colors. And I can use up some of my browns I got for horses (burnt umber,
chestnut, cocoa, latte, etc.)

Have you ever tried painting an army in black and white? Using all sorts of
shading and shades of gray? That might be neat. But not for Brets <shaking
head> Brets just love loads of color and emblems and as much tackiness as
you can manage.

janet
--
Just remember, we're all in this alone.
Lily Tomlin

Ewok

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2005

In article <BE281054.1169F%janetq@hotmail.com>,
Janet Quick <janetq@hotmail.com> writes:
> Have you ever tried painting an army in black and white? Using all sorts of
> shading and shades of gray? That might be neat. But not for Brets <shaking
> head> Brets just love loads of color and emblems and as much tackiness as
> you can manage.

I had that idea. I am not really sure how to make it look that way,
but the army should not just be gray. It should look like it was from
a black and white movie. I think that would be neat. The bases should
be flocked with gray grass.

/Ewok

Still can not get the apostrophes to work
--

On 2/3/05 6:04 PM, in article ctual2$fcs$1@eol.dd.chalmers.se, "Ewok"
<ewok@dd.chalmers.se> wrote:

> In article <BE281054.1169F%janetq@hotmail.com>,
> Janet Quick <janetq@hotmail.com> writes:
>> Have you ever tried painting an army in black and white? Using all sorts of
>> shading and shades of gray? That might be neat. But not for Brets <shaking
>> head> Brets just love loads of color and emblems and as much tackiness as
>> you can manage.
>
> I had that idea. I am not really sure how to make it look that way,
> but the army should not just be gray. It should look like it was from
> a black and white movie. I think that would be neat. The bases should
> be flocked with gray grass.

Haha I almost said 'like a black and white movie', so yeah, we had the same
idea. You might select one color - blue maybe since it's sorta gray - to
put on characters. Or red, which would really stand out.

Your own Army of Darkness.

janet
--
It is women's desting...not to serve them [men], flatter them, or hang on
them for guidance. Nor to insult them, demean them or stereotype them as

Janet Quick wrote:

-sigh-

I see someone's calling me out...

> Have you ever tried painting an army in black and white?

Yes. Quite a few, in fact. My Eldar core (excluding the Aspects and
Rangers) is off-black and off-white.

> Using all sorts of shading and shades of gray?

My BFG Imperial and Chaos fleets are warm light grey and dark grey
white, respectively. My SM and CSM are neutral medium grey and warm
dark grey, respectively.

> That might be neat.

It is.

> But not for Brets <shaking head>
> Brets just love loads of color and emblems and as much tackiness as
> you can manage.

I agree Fantasy armies need more color. To wit, my DoW are basically
neutral metallics, black, grey, and white with purple accents. My High
Elves will be white with purple accents, and my Empire will be black and
purple.

\-|-/

Janet Quick wrote:

> Haha I almost said 'like a black and white movie', so yeah, we had the same
> idea. You might select one color - blue maybe since it's sorta gray - to
> put on characters. Or red, which would really stand out.

Red, white, and yellow practically jump out against a neutral / grey
background.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.

John Hwang entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and
said...

> Janet Quick wrote:
>
> > Haha I almost said 'like a black and white movie', so yeah, we had the same
> > idea. You might select one color - blue maybe since it's sorta gray - to
> > put on characters. Or red, which would really stand out.
>
> Red, white, and yellow practically jump out against a neutral / grey
> background.

UH..Why do you think some of us prefer a neutral-gray primer?

--
Jim M
posted on this day, the 4,176th of September 1993

"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I
go into the other room and read a book." -- Groucho Marx

http://jimac.tripod.com

Ancient Gamer wrote:
> John Hwang entered...
>>Janet Quick wrote:
>>>Haha I almost said 'like a black and white movie', so yeah, we had the same
>>>idea. You might select one color - blue maybe since it's sorta gray - to
>>>put on characters. Or red, which would really stand out.
>>
>>Red, white, and yellow practically jump out against a neutral / grey
>>background.
>
> UH..Why do you think some of us prefer a neutral-gray primer?

Sure, but a grey base isn't quite the same as a grey background. The
grey (or white) base from primer or other basecoat simply helps to
ensure that color is saturated, rather than muted. A grey background
helps the eye focus on the saturated colors, rather than the neutral
backgrould.

\-|-/