LightScribe Duplicator

pyro42

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
I've got a friend who's interested in creating a cd/dvd duplicator with lightscribe discs and we're not sure if it would work. Has anyone done anything like this with any success?

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
What do you mean by duplicator. Is he gonna mass produce CDs/DVDs?

<font color=orange>Anything good in life is either illegal immoral or fattening<font color=orange>

RichPLS

Champion
LMAO!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

pyro42

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
i wouldn't say mass produce. He runs an indie record label (www.rydas.com) and was looking into it as a cheap way to produce samplers/giveaways that looked good, but without the cost or quantity of a hired service. I'd come across this item http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=777490&CatId=92 and gave him the idea of filling it with lightscribe burners so cut down the total time. (20 hours to burn 40 CD's.. little too much) but i couldn't tell him for sure if it would work or not. so i came here.

RichPLS

Champion
You would do it much faster with a regular burner and CD/DVD lablels. Be sure to get a label aligner tool usually under $10

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Lightscribe will give you a very proffesional look but it takes about 20 minutes to burn the label with the best quality. Add to this the time that it takes to burn the CD and you're looking at around 30 minutes per CD.
I don't mind that time because I burn the CDs for me, and it's much better than the printable labels (I have labels too), because there's no added thickness to the CD. There are some car stereos that get stuck if the CD has a label. Plus if the label is misaligned the CD won't spin balanced.

Conclusion: If you want proffesional look and don't care about the extra time to burn the label get lightscribe.

<font color=orange>Anything good in life is either illegal immoral or fattening<font color=orange>

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
There are printers that will print onto DVD/CD. They require a special DVD with a white label on them, but my friend in the media business has one.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Do you know which kind of printers.
Maybe a link to them?

RichPLS

Champion
I know Canon makes one, and I think HP.

RichPLS

Champion
Also think any printer that takes cardboard (has a back-door slot straight feed) would work.

pyro42

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
yes he's already decided on using lightscribe, the question is can lightscribes be used in duplicator systems to allow between 7 and 9 discs to be burned at once, thus cutting down the total burning time significantly.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
The lightscribe drive I have uses Nero for burning the CD and the label, I don't know if Nero is capable of burning in multiple drives at once.
You could email HP they're the ones that license the lightscribe technology.

RichPLS

Champion
We are very full of all the very faintest of ideas! **humph** [/redemes group cred]