Can I suspend USB power when going into standby?

July 26, 2005 1:48:41 PM

My Gateway 901x doesn't have the most space around it, it tends to get
warm, too warm. I bought a couple of external fans that plug directly
into USB for power and they cool my computer like a treat. When I put
the system into standby (S3) I was surprised to find the fans still
happily running. Hmm.

I looked in power options, nothing.
I tried turning off all devices ability to wake from standby (USB
keyboard and mouse) didn't help.
I looked in the BIOS, nothing apparent there.

Can anyone give me any ideas of how to make the fans come on and off as

the computer goes into and out of standby. I think that basically means

somehow turning the USB power on and off.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:21:41 PM

So there is no way to just power down the whole USB system?
July 26, 2005 2:53:33 PM

jrmwillis@gmail.com wrote:

> So there is no way to just power down the whole USB system?

Device manager, under Universal serial bus controllers, double click the
particular USB root hub, power management tab, "Allow the computer to
turn off this device to save power". Is that check marked?

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

I am pretty sure it was greyed out. I will check again tonight.
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 5:05:22 PM

Might not be possible since there are no driver for the fan. Most hardware
are controlled by drivers interacting with the OS.

!