  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
a b à CPUs
July 26, 2005 8:53:15 PM

In Task Manager we are shown certain levels of CPU usage. A figure of 95 may
be an example. What is this 95? Is it percentage of CPU being used or is it
some other unit?

Rob Graham

More about : cpu usage task manager

July 26, 2005 8:53:16 PM

Rob graham wrote:

> In Task Manager we are shown certain levels of CPU usage. A figure of 95 may
> be an example. What is this 95? Is it percentage of CPU being used or is it
> some other unit?
>
> Rob Graham

Yes the precentage.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Task Manager Help describes the units and the measurement interval.

Rob graham wrote:

> In Task Manager we are shown certain levels of CPU usage. A figure of 95 may
> be an example. What is this 95? Is it percentage of CPU being used or is it
> some other unit?
>
> Rob Graham

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2005 12:39:57 AM

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Rob graham wrote:
>
>> In Task Manager we are shown certain levels of CPU usage. A figure of 95
>> may
>> be an example. What is this 95? Is it percentage of CPU being used or is
>> it
>> some other unit?
>>
>> Rob Graham
>>

> Yes the precentage.

OK, so the time of writing I have *svchost* on 02 and *system idle
processes* on 98. I realise that this is not 98 per cent of the CPU's power,
just 98 percent of what's being used at the moment but why does *system idle
processes* always seem to use so much CPU?

Rob
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2005 12:39:58 AM

Idle means the CPU amount left for work.

Rob graham wrote:

> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Rob graham wrote:
>>

>>>In Task Manager we are shown certain levels of CPU usage. A figure of 95
>>>may
>>>be an example. What is this 95? Is it percentage of CPU being used or is
>>>it
>>>some other unit?
>>>
>>>Rob Graham
>>>

>>Yes the precentage.
>>

> OK, so the time of writing I have *svchost* on 02 and *system idle
> processes* on 98. I realise that this is not 98 per cent of the CPU's power,
> just 98 percent of what's being used at the moment but why does *system idle
> processes* always seem to use so much CPU?
>
> Rob

July 27, 2005 12:39:58 AM

Rob graham wrote:

> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>Rob graham wrote:
>>

>>>In Task Manager we are shown certain levels of CPU usage. A figure of 95
>>>may
>>>be an example. What is this 95? Is it percentage of CPU being used or is
>>>it
>>>some other unit?
>>>
>>>Rob Graham
>>>

>>Yes the precentage.
>>

> OK, so the time of writing I have *svchost* on 02 and *system idle
> processes* on 98. I realise that this is not 98 per cent of the CPU's power,
> just 98 percent of what's being used at the moment but why does *system idle
> processes* always seem to use so much CPU?
>
> Rob

I have to chuckle at this one. It's a process that occupies the cpu
when the cpu isn't doing anything else. So at 98% for system idle the
system isn't doing anything.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

That process actually cools the processor, without it, the proc would get
very hot :)

> Rob graham wrote:
>
>> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

>>>Yes the precentage.
>>>

>> OK, so the time of writing I have *svchost* on 02 and *system idle
>> processes* on 98. I realise that this is not 98 per cent of the CPU's
>> power, just 98 percent of what's being used at the moment but why does
>> *system idle processes* always seem to use so much CPU?
>>
>> Rob
>
> I have to chuckle at this one. It's a process that occupies the cpu when
> the cpu isn't doing anything else. So at 98% for system idle the system
> isn't doing anything.
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User