CPU usage in Task Manager

In Task Manager we are shown certain levels of CPU usage. A figure of 95 may
be an example. What is this 95? Is it percentage of CPU being used or is it
some other unit?

Rob Graham
7 answers Last reply
More about usage task manager

    Rob graham wrote:

    > In Task Manager we are shown certain levels of CPU usage. A figure of 95 may
    > be an example. What is this 95? Is it percentage of CPU being used or is it
    > some other unit?
    >
    > Rob Graham

    Yes the precentage.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Task Manager Help describes the units and the measurement interval.

    "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Rob graham wrote:
    >
    >> In Task Manager we are shown certain levels of CPU usage. A figure of 95
    >> may
    >> be an example. What is this 95? Is it percentage of CPU being used or is
    >> it
    >> some other unit?
    >>
    >> Rob Graham
    >>

    > Yes the precentage.

    OK, so the time of writing I have *svchost* on 02 and *system idle
    processes* on 98. I realise that this is not 98 per cent of the CPU's power,
    just 98 percent of what's being used at the moment but why does *system idle
    processes* always seem to use so much CPU?

    Rob

    Idle means the CPU amount left for work.

    Rob graham wrote:

    > "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Rob graham wrote:
    >>

    >>>In Task Manager we are shown certain levels of CPU usage. A figure of 95
    >>>may
    >>>be an example. What is this 95? Is it percentage of CPU being used or is
    >>>it
    >>>some other unit?
    >>>
    >>>Rob Graham
    >>>

    >>Yes the precentage.
    >>

    > OK, so the time of writing I have *svchost* on 02 and *system idle
    > processes* on 98. I realise that this is not 98 per cent of the CPU's power,
    > just 98 percent of what's being used at the moment but why does *system idle
    > processes* always seem to use so much CPU?
    >
    > Rob

    I have to chuckle at this one. It's a process that occupies the cpu
    when the cpu isn't doing anything else. So at 98% for system idle the
    system isn't doing anything.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    That process actually cools the processor, without it, the proc would get
    very hot :)

    > Rob graham wrote:
    >
    >> "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message

    >>>Yes the precentage.
    >>>

    >> OK, so the time of writing I have *svchost* on 02 and *system idle
    >> processes* on 98. I realise that this is not 98 per cent of the CPU's
    >> power, just 98 percent of what's being used at the moment but why does
    >> *system idle processes* always seem to use so much CPU?
    >>
    >> Rob
    >
    > I have to chuckle at this one. It's a process that occupies the cpu when
    > the cpu isn't doing anything else. So at 98% for system idle the system
    > isn't doing anything.
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User