Please...your sugestion on Sata Controler

felcas

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
Guys and Girls,
I would like your suggestion on a very simply matter.
I need a cheap but also trustyworth SATA controler with at least 2 ports but preferably with 4 ports and it MUST be comon PCI since my computer is old.

Thanks
Felcas

sturm

Splendid
look on newegg brought up these. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=pci+sata&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0" target="_new">Clicky</A>

RichPLS

Champion
Best solution is one on mobo period. If ya got IDE, that is best, since ya won't see any perfomance increase to brag about.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I agree that the best solution is integrated in the mobo, but he said his PC is old so maybe he's just trying to squeeze some life out of it.

<font color=orange>Anything good in life is either illegal immoral or fattening<font color=orange>

RichPLS

Champion
Surely it is at least ATA-100 or 66. This should run current ATA hard drives. I doubt you will get a noticable performance jump over SATA.
And you can get a decent ATA drive for $50

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
If your computer is old your power supply might not have extra connections and most likely it won't have SATA power connectors.

<font color=orange>Anything good in life is either illegal immoral or fattening<font color=orange>

RichPLS

Champion
But some SATA drives have both connectors (Raptor) and ones that don't you have cable converters to SATA.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Yeah that's true but it would be wise to check if he has some extra connections left and if the SATA drive have both connectors, if not he can go and buy them or order them.

felcas

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
Sorry guys but I have never heard or read anything on aditional power for SATA controlers or HDs....
Until now I was suposing I would just plug in a PCI or PCI-X in the motherboard´s slot and plug one HD for each port that is on the board. That is not the case then????

Felipe

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
SATA has a different type of power connecter than the old 4-pin molex. Some drives (though not many - just Raptors that I know of, there could be others) have both the SATA connector and the molex. If yours has both, just plug it in. If yours doesn't, you either need SATA power connectors on your PSU or go buy the adapter (molex to SATA). They're only a couple bucks.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>