Windows Logo Key+E doesn't work anymore

My Windows Logo Key+E shortcut has suddenly stopped working. It does not
bring up windows explorer anymore. windows+D, Windows+M, Windows+L all work
just fine. The e key works just fine by itself. I've scanned for viruses
and spyware, with updated patterns. I checked the group policy to make sure
it wasn't disabled. I also checked to make sure I didn't have a Scancode Map
entry in the registry.

I use this key a lot - please help!

willenbrechtal wrote:
> My Windows Logo Key+E shortcut has suddenly stopped working. It does
> not bring up windows explorer anymore. windows+D, Windows+M,
> Windows+L all work just fine. The e key works just fine by itself.
> I've scanned for viruses and spyware, with updated patterns. I
> checked the group policy to make sure it wasn't disabled. I also
> checked to make sure I didn't have a Scancode Map entry in the
> registry.
>
> I use this key a lot - please help!

Have you tried a new keyboard?

DDE setting might be the problem. See if the folder association fix helps.

Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"willenbrechtal" <willenbrechtal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows Logo Key+E shortcut has suddenly stopped working. It does not
> bring up windows explorer anymore. windows+D, Windows+M, Windows+L all
> work
> just fine. The e key works just fine by itself. I've scanned for viruses
> and spyware, with updated patterns. I checked the group policy to make
> sure
> it wasn't disabled. I also checked to make sure I didn't have a Scancode
> Map
> entry in the registry.
>
> I use this key a lot - please help!

Thank you Ramesh. This fixed the problem. Upon further investigation, I
compared the old registry entries to the new ones, and found that the
following value had been added:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellCmd]
@="{82C62DC5-1A4B-43ac-92C8-571410996B45}"

After looking up that CLSID, I found that it belonged to a COM component
generated by the sample application called ShellCmd (included with visual
studio 2003). \Samples\Technologies\Interop\Applications\ShellCmd

I ran the sample application to see something else, and it put these items
in the registry. Thanks for the help!

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> DDE setting might be the problem. See if the folder association fix helps.
>
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

You're welcome willenbrechtal.

--

> Thank you Ramesh. This fixed the problem. Upon further investigation, I
> compared the old registry entries to the new ones, and found that the
> following value had been added:
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellCmd]
> @="{82C62DC5-1A4B-43ac-92C8-571410996B45}"
>
> After looking up that CLSID, I found that it belonged to a COM component
> generated by the sample application called ShellCmd (included with visual
> studio 2003). \Samples\Technologies\Interop\Applications\ShellCmd
>
> I ran the sample application to see something else, and it put these items
> in the registry. Thanks for the help!
>

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> DDE setting might be the problem. See if the folder association fix
>> helps.
>>
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Alienation

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
WELL...I have the same problem and I did exactly what You suggested and not only it didn't work, it also damage my internet explorer shortcut...I had to remove Internet explorer and reinstall it...
I'm still having the same problem... "WinLogo Key + E" doesn't work!!!
All the others shortcuts keys function perfectly...I would like to know what the hell is going on for a problem like this one!!!
A small one but it makes all the difference when You do need to fasten up at work!!!
:(

TRENDING THREADS