Aureal finally dead...X-Fi

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It took Creative FIVE LONG YEARS to put Aureal's research to use, but now that they have (X-Fi), I can put away my SQ2500.

You have to wonder where we'd be today had Creative not ILLEGALLY SHUT DOWN Aureal, then stolen their technology.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
is it gonna be a good card sound?
like better than the m-audio?

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/lb19984/" target="_new">My Rig</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Everyone is optimistic, well, everyone else!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, 3D Postional Audio from stereo headphones has been around 6 years. It's just that Creative killed it before.

ofer987

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Hey Crashman, tell us more about Creative illegally buying companies out???

And in the past, which cards had 3D positional audio for headphones?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The buyout followed their illegally bankrupting Aureal. They filed frivolous lawsuit after frivolous lawsuit against Aureal, loosing every one, until Aureal had spent so much on defense that they couldn't pay operating expenses. Their creditors forclosed, Aureal didn't have the money or time to file claims for frivolous suits. Certain types of legal manuvers can be shown a violation of anti-trust laws, but only if you have the money to launch the investigation!

Anyway, the buyout was legal, Creative offered to pay $100,000 more than any other bidder, regardless of the other bidder's bid. So every bid by other companies was raised automatically by Creative.

Creative then launched a campaign to shut down driver support for Aureal cards. They managed to take down distributors of "illegal copies" of beta drivers, one guy actually worked out the betas to make them stable but was taken out.

The only company who had a legal right outside of Creative to develope drivers after that was Microsoft. Microsoft took out all the software controls for advanced hardware features (since they only had driver rights), then made the crippled driver stable.

ofer987

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
wow... what a story.

I remember Aureal's chips back a couple of years ago (like 6-7 years ago). I remember how they were used in Diamond's soundcards. But, now without Aureal, we only have Creative to rely on for soundcard technology - and that's pretty sad. Creative is the only name in town, and even though they do design some nice technology, we don't have competition.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Creative soundcards still conflict with other devices in some of my systems, and their software still sux.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know how many times I've chased the system in circles trying to use the application for driver control.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""I can put away my SQ2500""

I don't think I am gonna put away my MX300 until it is dead, hehehe. Best sound for my Technics cans.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

TRENDING THREADS