Sign in with
Your question

After installing monitor driver, I lost 1920x1200 (wide) resolution

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 2, 2009 4:39:32 AM

This is regarding World of Warcraft.

I just reformatted my computer for the first time in 14 months to get everything fresh again. Everything is working for the most part. I was able to access 1920x1200 (wide) resolution in WoW with the Plug and Play driver for my monitor. I install the monitor's driver, and now the highest resolution I can access in-game is 1680x1050 (wide).

What gives?

How do I keep my new driver and access the monitor's native resolution of 1920x1200 (wide) in WoW?

Monitor: LG FLATRON W2452T (24-inch widescreen LCD)
March 3, 2009 3:28:36 PM

I can assume that other applications and/or desktop resolution can still select and use the 1920x1200 wide?

If it is an issue with only World of Warcraft not recognizing the resolution of the monitor then I would say that its not an issue with the driver or monitor but that of the game. You may try making a post on the WoW support forums and see what comes up.

If you can't use 1920x1200 in any application then I would suspect a driver issue, possibly just the wrong driver got installed or the most current revision is having some type of issue. You could try installing an older version of the driver and see what happens.

I am unsure how the game identifies the resolutions you can use, I can only assume it gets it from the driver. The fact that you could select it before the driver install and not after leads me to believe it is a driver issue, I would try installing an older version of the driver and/or verifying the correct driver is installed.

Hope this helps.
March 3, 2009 4:08:22 PM

Dragoth said:
I can assume that other applications and/or desktop resolution can still select and use the 1920x1200 wide?

If it is an issue with only World of Warcraft not recognizing the resolution of the monitor then I would say that its not an issue with the driver or monitor but that of the game. You may try making a post on the WoW support forums and see what comes up.

If you can't use 1920x1200 in any application then I would suspect a driver issue, possibly just the wrong driver got installed or the most current revision is having some type of issue. You could try installing an older version of the driver and see what happens.

I am unsure how the game identifies the resolutions you can use, I can only assume it gets it from the driver. The fact that you could select it before the driver install and not after leads me to believe it is a driver issue, I would try installing an older version of the driver and/or verifying the correct driver is installed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Yes, only WoW can't access the resolution. Everything else is fine. Additionally, there is only the one version of the drivers, so I'm out of luck on that front. With no LG driver (meaning just the Microsoft Plug and Play driver) installed, everything is fine. I guess I'll just leave it like that.
Related resources
March 3, 2009 4:48:50 PM

Huh, well, if the driver itself doesn't offer any extra functionality, the Microsoft Plug and Play driver will be just as good so meh...hopefully LG will release a newer version of their driver that fixes the problem.
March 3, 2009 5:18:59 PM

Dragoth said:
Huh, well, if the driver itself doesn't offer any extra functionality, the Microsoft Plug and Play driver will be just as good so meh...hopefully LG will release a newer version of their driver that fixes the problem.

Yeah. The main reason I wanted it is because I was hoping it would lessen the screen tearing I get in World of Warcraft, without an option called "vertical sync" being enabled - this option sets your frame rate as a % of your monitor's refresh rate (60 in my case). I like not having it enabled because then my FPS can go as high as 130+. Oh well, it's either high fps and screen tears or lower fps and no screen tears.
!