XP Product Key Problem

Hi,

Here's an interesting problem, well i think anyway. I bought a copy of
windows xp. The little sticker with the product key is stuck to the side of
my PC where it belongs. I moved house. I (sometime later) decided it was time
to reinstall, so I formatted my PC, and started to reinstall windows. I get
to the bit about typing in your product key. I dutifully lean over and check
the product key, which, as mentioned previously, is taped to the side of my
pc, except, that while moving, a chunk of it was ripped off. I now have
exactly 84% of my product key, which isn't quite enough. The last 4 letters
of my product key are gone. I am writing this from my office pc. I would have
asked the email support on Microsoft.com, but alas, i am unable to get into
my machine to the get product identifier, because it wont let me finish
installing. What do i do in this situation. I am loathe to shell out cash
again, simply because i have a few digits of my cd-key missing... will M$
actually help me out? or am i wasting my time?

Anyways, thanks in advance for your help

Hamish

Well, since one way or another "you" destroyed your Product Key,
you can try to call Microsoft and see if they can help, providing
you registered your copy of Windows XP when you first installed it.

In the U.S. call: 1-425-635-3311

Contact Microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&c1=509&prid=3518&gprid=185522

How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
;326246]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"hamish" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| Here's an interesting problem, well i think anyway. I bought a copy of
| windows xp. The little sticker with the product key is stuck to the side of
| my PC where it belongs. I moved house. I (sometime later) decided it was time
| to reinstall, so I formatted my PC, and started to reinstall windows. I get
| to the bit about typing in your product key. I dutifully lean over and check
| the product key, which, as mentioned previously, is taped to the side of my
| pc, except, that while moving, a chunk of it was ripped off. I now have
| exactly 84% of my product key, which isn't quite enough. The last 4 letters
| of my product key are gone. I am writing this from my office pc. I would have
| asked the email support on Microsoft.com, but alas, i am unable to get into
| my machine to the get product identifier, because it wont let me finish
| installing. What do i do in this situation. I am loathe to shell out cash
| again, simply because i have a few digits of my cd-key missing... will M$
| actually help me out? or am i wasting my time?
|
| Anyways, thanks in advance for your help
|
| Hamish

Thanks for your prompt reply! I will give them a call and see what they have
to say. Here's holding thumbs. Expensive stickers these.

Thanks

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Well, since one way or another "you" destroyed your Product Key,
> you can try to call Microsoft and see if they can help, providing
> you registered your copy of Windows XP when you first installed it.
>
> In the U.S. call: 1-425-635-3311
>
> Contact Microsoft
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&c1=509&prid=3518&gprid=185522
>
> How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
> ;326246]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "hamish" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | Here's an interesting problem, well i think anyway. I bought a copy of
> | windows xp. The little sticker with the product key is stuck to the side of
> | my PC where it belongs. I moved house. I (sometime later) decided it was time
> | to reinstall, so I formatted my PC, and started to reinstall windows. I get
> | to the bit about typing in your product key. I dutifully lean over and check
> | the product key, which, as mentioned previously, is taped to the side of my
> | pc, except, that while moving, a chunk of it was ripped off. I now have
> | exactly 84% of my product key, which isn't quite enough. The last 4 letters
> | of my product key are gone. I am writing this from my office pc. I would have
> | asked the email support on Microsoft.com, but alas, i am unable to get into
> | my machine to the get product identifier, because it wont let me finish
> | installing. What do i do in this situation. I am loathe to shell out cash
> | again, simply because i have a few digits of my cd-key missing... will M$
> | actually help me out? or am i wasting my time?
> |
> | Anyways, thanks in advance for your help
> |
> | Hamish

I have learned for experience as well to always ensure that I have
everything in place including the Product Key, drivers, backups etc BEFORE I
run an install. Your version is an OEM version. Contact the vender of your
system for a Product Key. Microsoft does not support OEM versions.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"hamish" <hamish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Here's an interesting problem, well i think anyway. I bought a copy of
> windows xp. The little sticker with the product key is stuck to the side
of
> my PC where it belongs. I moved house. I (sometime later) decided it was
time
> to reinstall, so I formatted my PC, and started to reinstall windows. I
get
> to the bit about typing in your product key. I dutifully lean over and
check
> the product key, which, as mentioned previously, is taped to the side of
my
> pc, except, that while moving, a chunk of it was ripped off. I now have
> exactly 84% of my product key, which isn't quite enough. The last 4
letters
> of my product key are gone. I am writing this from my office pc. I would
have
> asked the email support on Microsoft.com, but alas, i am unable to get
into
> my machine to the get product identifier, because it wont let me finish
> installing. What do i do in this situation. I am loathe to shell out cash
> again, simply because i have a few digits of my cd-key missing... will M$
> actually help me out? or am i wasting my time?
>
> Anyways, thanks in advance for your help
>
> Hamish

A product key "stuck" to the side of PC usually means that the version is
OEM. If the version of XP is truly an OEM version, Microsoft will not help.
OEM version must get the support from where your purchased it. That is why
must OEM versions are "bundled" with new PCs.