History and Recent Items Logging

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

What is the purpose of History logging?
How can I stop it?

The space on my Hard Drive is / was close to being exhausted and after I
cleaned out all the saved files created by the History folder, Temp Internet
folder, Recent Items folder, saved games, Windows Temp folder, files ending
in .tmp and .bak I managed to recoup almost 3Gb. Surely I can stop all these
useless files building up in the first place by turning some of this logging
off.

There are hundreds of files created with History, Temporary Internet Folder,
Recent Items, Cookies and the like that all clutter up the computer. There
were so many that I had to empty the recycle bin twice recently in order to
clean up the system.

GO to IE, Tools, INternet Options, General and change Settings(Amount of
disk space) and also "Days to keep.........."