Cannot use Search with CD drive

When I search my CD drive (drive 'D') for *.cab the search display contains
files from my 'C' drive.

Any ideas about how to solve this?
4 answers Last reply
More about cannot search drive

    My mistake, as I just discovered the files 'found' when I search my CD drive
    with a wildcard are files from two locations:

    1) The CD drive (as expected)
    AND
    2) C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Microsoft\CD Burning (but this folder is empty)

    This #2 has me totally baffled. Is this some kind of cache issue? I ran Disk
    Cleanup, but still no joy.

    Michael

    "Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > When I search my CD drive (drive 'D') for *.cab the search display
    > contains files from my 'C' drive.
    >
    > Any ideas about how to solve this?

    This is normal if you have the recording option enabled when you right click
    the cd then select properties.
    When you send a file to the cd in windows it copies it to the folder #2 and
    then once you click write files to cd it actually writes them to the cd and
    deletes them from the local folder.

    Not sure if that makes sense, but i know what i mean :)

    Regards
    Paul

    "Michael T" wrote:

    > My mistake, as I just discovered the files 'found' when I search my CD drive
    > with a wildcard are files from two locations:
    >
    > 1) The CD drive (as expected)
    > AND
    > 2) C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Local Settings\Application
    > Data\Microsoft\CD Burning (but this folder is empty)
    >
    > This #2 has me totally baffled. Is this some kind of cache issue? I ran Disk
    > Cleanup, but still no joy.
    >
    > Michael
    >
    > "Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > When I search my CD drive (drive 'D') for *.cab the search display
    > > contains files from my 'C' drive.
    > >
    > > Any ideas about how to solve this?

    open your "D" drive in explorer. - this will prove there is actually a
    CD insearted with something on it to search for.
    right click on CD drive and select search. - this will eliminate
    trying to search without entering the correct drive.
    if it goes to the "C" drive from there - I have no idea.

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:12:32 -0700, "Michael T"
    <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >When I search my CD drive (drive 'D') for *.cab the search display contains
    >files from my 'C' drive.
    >
    >Any ideas about how to solve this?

    Thanks Paul. It does make sense.

    Not sure after all these years I am just discovering this 'unwanted'
    setting. At least unwanted by me.

    If I right click on the CD drive and select the tab named 'Recording', I can
    turn off "Enable CD recording on this drive" to eliminate my unwanted search
    functionality.

    "Paul Mckenna" <PaulMckenna@news.postalias> wrote in message
    > This is normal if you have the recording option enabled when you right
    > click
    > the CD then select properties.
    > When you send a file to the CD in windows it copies it to the folder #2
    > and
    > then once you click write files to CD it actually writes them to the CD
    > and
    > deletes them from the local folder.
    >
    > Not sure if that makes sense, but I know what I mean :)
    >
    > Regards
    > Paul
    >
    > "Michael T" wrote:
    >
    >> My mistake, as I just discovered the files 'found' when I search my CD
    >> drive
    >> with a wildcard are files from two locations:
    >>
    >> 1) The CD drive (as expected)
    >> AND
    >> 2) C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Local Settings\Application
    >> Data\Microsoft\CD Burning (but this folder is empty)
    >>
    >> This #2 has me totally baffled. Is this some kind of cache issue? I ran
    >> Disk
    >> Cleanup, but still no joy.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>
    >> "Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> > When I search my CD drive (drive 'D') for *.cab the search display
    >> > contains files from my 'C' drive.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas about how to solve this?

Microsoft CD Drives Windows XP