Lightscribe. Wait for color?

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I'm looking to get a DVD Burner. I'd like one that has all the various formats including DL, and is good at making copies of the newer movies which may have protection against making backups. BUT I'm also interested in this Lightscribe. Unfortunatly it doesn't look like I can get the DVD Burner I described above WITH Lightscribe, but does it matter? Should I wait for Lightscribe to develope a bit more so it has color and more speed anyways?

What do you think?

BTW with or without lightscribe, which burner does the options I meantioned above best describe? I hear the LiteOn's are good with burning protected DVDs and are good overal, but I dunno If I can get one with all the trimmings AND Lightscribe yet.

Thanks for the info either way.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I have a BenQ with lightscribe and it burns DL.
I don't know about protected discs.
The lightscribe drives can burn the layers in color and faster, it's the media (CD, DVD) the one that doesn't have the capability.
I read about lightscribe before buying and it says that once the media is capable of burning color labels and doing it faster you'll only have to update the firmware in the drive and that's all.

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Is anyone else able to chime in about BenQ's abilities with backing up the current DVD's being released?

This is easily accomplished with software...at least for now. CloneDVD2 in conjunction with AnyDVD will do it.

Google it.

....WW (5.1)

RichPLS

Champion
How does the lightscribe etch in color? Is layers of different color on the DVD that it burns to revealing color?

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
_WW_

If thats true that burning through protection is simply a matter of using good software why do reviews often meantion that the drive can't burn anything with SafeDisc over v2.80? (Seems many drives have problems with SafeDisc past 2.8)

The way its talked about in reviews it sounds like a hardware thing, not software.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Also, something that really sucks is I can't seem to find a good "does it all" drive that has Lightscribe. LiteOn apparently are good for backing things up but these days I see no reason to get a drive that doesn't do the FULL range of R/RW +- and DL etc etc, but I haven't found a drive that has the good backup abilities through protection, AND the full lineup of various burning methods, +-, DL etc... Seems the drives with Lightscribe are all missing at least 1 thing...

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
If thats true that burning through protection is simply a matter of using good software why do reviews often meantion that the drive can't burn anything with SafeDisc over v2.80? (Seems many drives have problems with SafeDisc past 2.8)
Ever hear of hacking?
AnyDVD removes the protection from DVDs and CDs. It is constantly updated and improved. CloneDVD2 or CloneCD then burns an image to your HDD and then burns from that unprotected image to the media. In the case of DVDs CloneDVD2 will recode the DVD to fit on a single disk if you wish and discard everything but the movie if you wish...or you can make perfect 100% copies spanned across multiple disks if you want everything including the FBI warning that what you are doing is illegal.

....WW (5.1)

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Right now it only burns labels in grayscale. In the lightscribe website it says that my burner will burn in color when media becomes available (with a firmware upgrade).

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Combination of Printable Media and CD/DVD printing capable Canon Pixma series printers make lightscribe useless, since these printers are quite economical in terms of ink cost.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
True. But for printing labels with lightscribe you don't need anything else. You could have a laptop with a lightscribe drive and burn a labeled CD without much effort.

Personally I picked the lightscribe drive because it's not expensive, I needed a second DVD drive to burn on the fly, and because I liked the way the labels look with lightscribe.

<b><font color=green>Celibacy is not hereditary<font color=green></b>