[model] [paint] 35mm film canisters!

This might be common knowledge, but I just figured it out, so I thought I'd
throw it out there in case it's helpful for anyone else. A friend of mine
suggested temporarily mounting old 35mm film canisters to the bases of my
minis to make it easier to move them around while painting without sticking
one's fingers in the wet paint. The problem with this otherwise brilliant
idea was that I could only round up 4 or 5 of them here in the house. Well,
today I was in the camera store buying a memory card for my digital camera,
and I thought I'd ask if they had any of the old 35mm canisters laying
around. The salesman went to a supply closet and handed me a grocery bag
full of them for free - more than enough for my painting needs, with a hell
of a lot left over, possibly to acheive a new life as terrain features. I'm
not sure quite how many it was, but conservative estimates put it at "an
assload," and the salesman said they'd have that many again in about two or
three days.

Now for all I know, everyone else on RGMW has already done this ten or
eleven times and has a closet filled with these little bastards, but
hopefully this is useful news to at least one person. Like I said, it had
never occurred to me until today.

--
Ken Coble

Will you still have a song to sing
When the razor boy comes
And takes your fancy things away?
Will you still be singing it
On that cold and windy day?
--Steely Dan, "Razor Boy"
20 answers Last reply
More about model paint 35mm film canisters

    Kenneth Coble wrote:
    > A friend of mine suggested temporarily mounting old 35mm film
    > canisters to the bases of my minis to make it easier to move them
    > around while painting without sticking one's fingers in the wet paint.

    Um, you know there are easier, more convenient ways to do this? Like
    paint stirrers and such?

    Personally, as long as the model is on it's base, there's no need for a
    secondary mount aside from priming. And if you've got double-sided
    tape, you're all set for the priming.

    > today I was in the camera store buying a memory card for my digital camera,
    > and I thought I'd ask if they had any of the old 35mm canisters laying
    > around. The salesman went to a supply closet and handed me a grocery bag
    > full of them for free - more than enough for my painting needs, with a hell
    > of a lot left over, possibly to acheive a new life as terrain features. I'm
    > not sure quite how many it was, but conservative estimates put it at "an
    > assload," and the salesman said they'd have that many again in about two or
    > three days.

    OK, this is pretty cool. But I don't want them for painting, at least
    not yet...

    Still, maybe I'll try the film thing.

    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Kenneth Coble <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote:
    > This might be common knowledge, but I just figured it out, so I thought I'd
    > throw it out there in case it's helpful for anyone else. A friend of mine
    > suggested temporarily mounting old 35mm film canisters to the bases of my
    > minis to make it easier to move them around while painting without sticking

    Are there any problems with the canisters wanting to flip over when the
    figures are stuck on them? I've been thinking about trying canisters, but
    haven't gotten around to it. For years I've used some large corks that I
    got at a junk store (I think I got the idea from the original Rogue Trader
    book). Oddly enough recently I've been painting without sticking the
    figures to anything as I'm finding it easier and faster.

    Zane
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    healyzh@aracnet.com wrote:

    <snip>
    > Are there any problems with the canisters wanting to flip over when
    > the figures are stuck on them? I've been thinking about trying
    > canisters, but haven't gotten around to it. For years I've used some
    > large corks that I got at a junk store (I think I got the idea from
    > the original Rogue Trader book). Oddly enough recently I've been
    > painting without sticking the figures to anything as I'm finding it
    > easier and faster.

    So far, I've just been using them as glorified handles while spray priming,
    where they were a godsend, allowing me to rotate the minis for best coverage
    without the bases sticking to my hands. And the majority of the minis I've
    done so far (about 45 if memory serves) have been plastics or relatively
    light metal minis, so they really don't weigh enough to flip the canister
    over by themselves. Now if I was painting a heavier metal mini,
    particularly one that was 'tippy' already (my CSM w/ autocannon was quite
    prone to falling forward before I attached it to the canister, for
    instance), then I'd probably just fill the canister with sand or something
    to give it some more weight. The corks you mentioned are a good idea too,
    particularly if you got them cheaply or had some lying around.

    I'm going to do some brush painting tonight or tomorrow (depending on if the
    primer has dried or not) and I don't know if I'll be putting them back on
    the canisters or not. If I have an epidemic of them falling over I'll let
    you know...

    --
    Ken Coble

    Will you still have a song to sing
    When the razor boy comes
    And takes your fancy things away?
    Will you still be singing it
    On that cold and windy day?
    --Steely Dan, "Razor Boy"
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <cLuOd.68427$K72.8540772@twister.southeast.rr.com>, Kenneth
    Coble, flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com Varfed out the following in Timo
    speak...
    > This might be common knowledge, but I just figured it out, so I thought I'd
    > throw it out there in case it's helpful for anyone else. A friend of mine
    > suggested temporarily mounting old 35mm film canisters to the bases of my
    > minis to make it easier to move them around while painting without sticking
    > one's fingers in the wet paint. The problem with this otherwise brilliant
    > idea was that I could only round up 4 or 5 of them here in the house. Well,
    > today I was in the camera store buying a memory card for my digital camera,
    > and I thought I'd ask if they had any of the old 35mm canisters laying
    > around. The salesman went to a supply closet and handed me a grocery bag
    > full of them for free - more than enough for my painting needs, with a hell
    > of a lot left over, possibly to acheive a new life as terrain features. I'm
    > not sure quite how many it was, but conservative estimates put it at "an
    > assload," and the salesman said they'd have that many again in about two or
    > three days.
    >
    > Now for all I know, everyone else on RGMW has already done this ten or
    > eleven times and has a closet filled with these little bastards, but
    > hopefully this is useful news to at least one person. Like I said, it had
    > never occurred to me until today.

    While I don't normally do this for 28mm scale minis, I have used
    something similar with my epic minis. I've simply used balsa wood
    strips or even strips of heavy card / poster board and Elmers (a.k.a.
    PVA or White) glue and glued the 6mm high epic figures on it in rows of
    5 or so. It's a hell of a lot easier to hold the card strip than it is
    the dinky epic infantry, and they pop right off the card once I'm
    finished painting them. You should be able to easily use small
    sections of balsa wood and do the same with larger minis.

    Myrmidon

    #1582. I think they call it Warhammer "40K" because that is how
    much you are going to have to make per year in order to play.

    - Eric Noland

    # 1082. Pound for pound I can buy cocaine cheaper than
    raise a Warhammer army

    - Roy Cox

    http://www.PetitionOnline.com/gwprice/

    ****

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

    Or...

  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Myrmidon entered the world pub known as rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and
    said...

    > In article <cLuOd.68427$K72.8540772@twister.southeast.rr.com>, Kenneth
    > Coble, flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com Varfed out the following in Timo
    > speak...
    > > This might be common knowledge, but I just figured it out, so I thought I'd
    > > throw it out there in case it's helpful for anyone else. A friend of mine
    > > suggested temporarily mounting old 35mm film canisters to the bases of my
    > > minis to make it easier to move them around while painting without sticking
    > > one's fingers in the wet paint. The problem with this otherwise brilliant
    > > idea was that I could only round up 4 or 5 of them here in the house. Well,
    > > today I was in the camera store buying a memory card for my digital camera,
    > > and I thought I'd ask if they had any of the old 35mm canisters laying
    > > around. The salesman went to a supply closet and handed me a grocery bag
    > > full of them for free - more than enough for my painting needs, with a hell
    > > of a lot left over, possibly to acheive a new life as terrain features. I'm
    > > not sure quite how many it was, but conservative estimates put it at "an
    > > assload," and the salesman said they'd have that many again in about two or
    > > three days.
    > >
    > > Now for all I know, everyone else on RGMW has already done this ten or
    > > eleven times and has a closet filled with these little bastards, but
    > > hopefully this is useful news to at least one person. Like I said, it had
    > > never occurred to me until today.
    >
    > While I don't normally do this for 28mm scale minis, I have used
    > something similar with my epic minis. I've simply used balsa wood
    > strips or even strips of heavy card / poster board and Elmers (a.k.a.
    > PVA or White) glue and glued the 6mm high epic figures on it in rows of
    > 5 or so. It's a hell of a lot easier to hold the card strip than it is
    > the dinky epic infantry, and they pop right off the card once I'm
    > finished painting them. You should be able to easily use small
    > sections of balsa wood and do the same with larger minis.
    >
    > Myrmidon

    Tongue Depressors, that's what we used back in the olden days, but then the
    mini's were a little on the flat side back then, and making paints from
    roots and berries was always a pain in the butt...
    --
    Jim M
    posted on this day, the 4,180th of September 1993

    "Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
    "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I
    go into the other room and read a book." -- Groucho Marx

    http://jimac.tripod.com
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Kenneth Coble wrote:
    > This might be common knowledge, but I just figured it out, so I
    thought I'd
    > throw it out there in case it's helpful for anyone else. A friend
    of mine
    > suggested temporarily mounting old 35mm film canisters to the bases
    of my
    > minis to make it easier to move them around while painting without
    sticking
    > one's fingers in the wet paint. The problem with this otherwise
    brilliant
    > idea was that I could only round up 4 or 5 of them here in the house.
    Well,
    > today I was in the camera store buying a memory card for my digital
    camera,
    > and I thought I'd ask if they had any of the old 35mm canisters
    laying
    > around. The salesman went to a supply closet and handed me a grocery
    bag
    > full of them for free - more than enough for my painting needs, with
    a hell
    > of a lot left over, possibly to acheive a new life as terrain
    features. I'm
    > not sure quite how many it was, but conservative estimates put it at
    "an
    > assload," and the salesman said they'd have that many again in about
    two or
    > three days.
    >
    > Now for all I know, everyone else on RGMW has already done this ten
    or
    > eleven times and has a closet filled with these little bastards, but
    > hopefully this is useful news to at least one person. Like I said, it
    had
    > never occurred to me until today.

    Kewl you can grab tons of extras from any 1 hour photo place. The clear
    white ones are groovy for holding/mixing paint, if you wash'em out
    first. Both film canisters and 2-litre soda bottle tops *look* like
    they'd be good for terrain and model work, but they don't hold paint
    too well. I tried to use them as the cannon for some gobsmashas ages
    ago and it didn't turn out so well. I'd suggest not using them, unless
    you want to keep them unpainted.

    --Chris
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "John Hwang" <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message
    > Kenneth Coble wrote:
    >> A friend of mine suggested temporarily mounting old 35mm film canisters
    >> to the bases of my minis to make it easier to move them around while
    >> painting without sticking one's fingers in the wet paint.
    >
    > Um, you know there are easier, more convenient ways to do this? Like
    > paint stirrers and such?
    >
    > Personally, as long as the model is on it's base, there's no need for a
    > secondary mount aside from priming. And if you've got double-sided tape,
    > you're all set for the priming.
    >
    >> today I was in the camera store buying a memory card for my digital
    >> camera, and I thought I'd ask if they had any of the old 35mm canisters
    >> laying around. The salesman went to a supply closet and handed me a
    >> grocery bag full of them for free - more than enough for my painting
    >> needs, with a hell of a lot left over, possibly to acheive a new life as
    >> terrain features. I'm not sure quite how many it was, but conservative
    >> estimates put it at "an assload," and the salesman said they'd have that
    >> many again in about two or three days.
    >
    > OK, this is pretty cool. But I don't want them for painting, at least not
    > yet...
    >
    > Still, maybe I'll try the film thing.

    Hmmm do film cannisters come in grey, if not they soon will........

    --
    estarriol
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > healyzh@aracnet.com wrote:
    >
    > So far, I've just been using them as glorified handles while spray
    > priming, where they were a godsend, allowing me to rotate the minis for
    > best coverage without the bases sticking to my hands.

    You move the mini? I've always moved the can.
    I blutac models to a piece of wood, 40x40x300mm, and move around spraying
    from...how many degrees in a sphere? For arguments sake, let's say as many
    degrees as the Ancient one is old, multiplied by the days in September,
    divided by the number children the Emperor never had, to the power of 42.

    Even with a film canister, you'd end up spraying your hand too, no?
    --
    Jon Hedge,
    "The chances are, I said it in jest."

    First time e-mails should be tagged [RGMW] to make it through my spam
    filter.

    RGMW FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Jon Hedge wrote:
    > "Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>healyzh@aracnet.com wrote:
    >>
    >>So far, I've just been using them as glorified handles while spray
    >>priming, where they were a godsend, allowing me to rotate the minis for
    >>best coverage without the bases sticking to my hands.
    >

    > You move the mini? I've always moved the can.
    > I blutac models to a piece of wood, 40x40x300mm, and move around spraying
    > from...how many degrees in a sphere? For arguments sake, let's say as many
    > degrees as the Ancient one is old, multiplied by the days in September,
    > divided by the number children the Emperor never had, to the power of 42.
    >
    > Even with a film canister, you'd end up spraying your hand too, no?

    I went to the grocery store and bought a package of latex gloves for a
    couple bucks. Wear the glove on my left hand while I'm
    spraying/airbrushing, and I don't have to worry about fingerprints on
    the model, or spray on my hand.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Brion K. Lienhart entered the world pub known as
    rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...

    > Jon Hedge wrote:
    > > "Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>healyzh@aracnet.com wrote:
    > >>
    > >>So far, I've just been using them as glorified handles while spray
    > >>priming, where they were a godsend, allowing me to rotate the minis for
    > >>best coverage without the bases sticking to my hands.
    > >

    > > You move the mini? I've always moved the can.
    > > I blutac models to a piece of wood, 40x40x300mm, and move around spraying
    > > from...how many degrees in a sphere? For arguments sake, let's say as many
    > > degrees as the Ancient one is old, multiplied by the days in September,
    > > divided by the number children the Emperor never had, to the power of 42.
    > >
    > > Even with a film canister, you'd end up spraying your hand too, no?
    >
    > I went to the grocery store and bought a package of latex gloves for a
    > couple bucks. Wear the glove on my left hand while I'm
    > spraying/airbrushing, and I don't have to worry about fingerprints on
    > the model, or spray on my hand.

    huh... you mean you can use them for other things besides making stink bait
    balls when fishing for catfish???
    --
    Jim M
    posted on this day, the 4,181st of September 1993

    "Look alive. Here comes a buzzard." -- Walt Kelly (Pogo)
    "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I
    go into the other room and read a book." -- Groucho Marx

    http://jimac.tripod.com
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Note: I'm piggybacking on Brion's post, since my newsreader apparently
    dropped Jon's post and I never saw it:

    > Jon Hedge wrote:
    >> "Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message

    >>> So far, I've just been using them as glorified handles while spray
    >>> priming, where they were a godsend, allowing me to rotate the minis
    >>> for best coverage without the bases sticking to my hands.
    >>

    >> You move the mini? I've always moved the can.
    >> I blutac models to a piece of wood, 40x40x300mm, and move around
    >> spraying from...how many degrees in a sphere? For arguments sake,
    >> let's say as many degrees as the Ancient one is old, multiplied by
    >> the days in September, divided by the number children the Emperor
    >> never had, to the power of 42. Even with a film canister, you'd end up
    >> spraying your hand too, no?

    Well, I could put a glove on, but the amount of spray that's hitting my hand
    is minimal and comes off easily with some GoJo (an orange mechanic's soap w/
    pumice in it, in case it's a US-specific brand that our international
    friends may not be familiar with). But being able to move the mini so I'm
    always spraying in one direction is a necessity for my situation - which is
    using a poorly improvised paint hood inside a garage that I don't want to
    wind up gradually painting gray.

    Also, on the one day of decent weather we've had for spray priming outdoors,
    I tried to mount mine to an old box and prime them that way, but I wound up
    missing certain angles. They were either masked by other models on the
    box, or a particular problem I had was getting primer to hit the minis from
    below. So for my particular application, the film cans work well. I do
    agree now with what other posters have said, that doing this isnt really
    useful or necessary for brush painting - hanging onto the base has sufficed
    for that.

    Still, I've got enough of these things for my spray priming needs, and I am
    now considering making some kind of chemical plant, refinery or freightyard
    out of the cubic yard of them that I have leftover. I'm also considering
    casting tank-stoppers in them, just to look different from all the "ice-cube
    tray" tank stoppers out there. If anyone can come up with another good 40k
    use for these things I'd love to hear it, although I am thinking about using
    the clear ones for bitz storage, which will be more space-efficient than
    keeping them in those plastic trays some warhammer stuff comes in...

    --
    Ken Coble

    Will you still have a song to sing
    When the razor boy comes
    And takes your fancy things away?
    Will you still be singing it
    On that cold and windy day?
    --Steely Dan, "Razor Boy"
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Ancient Gamer" <hnjcomics@rocketmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Brion K. Lienhart entered the world pub known as
    > rec.games.miniatures.warhammer and said...
    >
    >> Jon Hedge wrote:
    >> > "Kenneth Coble" <flintlocklaser@triad.rr.com> wrote in message

    >> > You move the mini? I've always moved the can.
    >> > I blutac models to a piece of wood, 40x40x300mm, and move around
    >> > spraying
    >> > from...how many degrees in a sphere? For arguments sake, let's say as
    >> > many
    >> > degrees as the Ancient one is old, multiplied by the days in September,
    >> > divided by the number children the Emperor never had, to the power of
    >> > 42.
    >> >
    >> > Even with a film canister, you'd end up spraying your hand too, no?
    >>
    >> I went to the grocery store and bought a package of latex gloves for a
    >> couple bucks. Wear the glove on my left hand while I'm
    >> spraying/airbrushing, and I don't have to worry about fingerprints on
    >> the model, or spray on my hand.
    >>

    > huh... you mean you can use them for other things besides making stink
    > bait
    > balls when fishing for catfish???

    They are also great for bleaching/coloring your hair.

    --
    Ecke

    Newsgroup FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org

    Due to technology humankind produced weapons of mass destruction. Without
    technology it would just take a bit longer.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <37090nF569re6U1@individual.net>, John Hwang,
    JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    > Kenneth Coble wrote:
    > > A friend of mine suggested temporarily mounting old 35mm film
    > > canisters to the bases of my minis to make it easier to move them
    > > around while painting without sticking one's fingers in the wet paint.
    >
    > Um, you know there are easier, more convenient ways to do this? Like
    > paint stirrers and such?
    >
    > Personally, as long as the model is on it's base, there's no need for a
    > secondary mount aside from priming. And if you've got double-sided
    > tape, you're all set for the priming.

    Ahh, I didn't even realize he was talking about priming. I'm with
    you on the idea that the mounts aren't even needed after the priming
    stage unless one is doing some sort of uber-detailed base for a show
    quality mini on standard 25 / 28mm or larger minis. I still think I'd
    personally start mounting stuff 15mm and smaller (like the Flames of War
    infantry) to balsa wood strips for ease of painting.
    As for priming and being able to see the minis from all angles - I
    use the handy dandy 'pizza box' method. I set the minis on an
    expendable pizza box towards the edges, and place the box on top of an
    upside down trashcan. That way I can spray the minis from all sides by
    simply moving around the box and/or turning the minis, and for up angles
    simply crouch down below the level of the mini and spray upwards - this
    allows one to keep the spray can upright for better performance and
    still get an even all over primer coat on the minis. Any of the
    relatively flat bits like arms, etc I just lay in the middle of the box
    and spray from various angles. Once they're dry I flip them and repeat
    on the other side. Using masking fluid and this primering method has
    been a great time saver for me - I can primer a load of partly assmebled
    minis all at once, paint them (and all the hard to reach but still
    visible fine details) before assembly as I like to do, and then still
    have clean plastic and metal surfaces for gluing together at the joins.

    Myrmidon

    --
    "Conan, what is best in life?"
    "To paint your miniatures, to see them driven before you on the table,

    - Del Webb

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

    Or...

  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    "Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@lienhart.name> wrote in message

    > I went to the grocery store and bought a package of latex gloves for a
    > couple bucks. Wear the glove on my left hand while I'm
    > spraying/airbrushing, and I don't have to worry about fingerprints on
    > the model, or spray on my hand.

    Yeah, because everyone knows those fingerprints can be reeeaaallll
    incriminating . . . ;-))

    Cheers, Martyn
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    estarriol wrote:
    > "John Hwang" <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message

    [SNIP]

    > Hmmm do film cannisters come in grey, if not they soon will........

    2 points:

    1. [SNIP] the parts of the post that you're not responding to. Quoting
    an entire post just to and one unrelated comment is very poor form.

    2. Your constant stretches to respond with a "Hwang paints everything
    grey" bit are getting more than a little boring.

    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Myrmidon wrote:
    > John Hwang, JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com Varfed
    >>Kenneth Coble wrote:
    >>
    >>>A friend of mine suggested temporarily mounting old 35mm film
    >>>canisters to the bases of my minis to make it easier to move them
    >>>around while painting without sticking one's fingers in the wet paint.
    >>
    >>Um, you know there are easier, more convenient ways to do this? Like
    >>paint stirrers and such?
    >>
    >>Personally, as long as the model is on it's base, there's no need for a
    >>secondary mount aside from priming. And if you've got double-sided
    >>tape, you're all set for the priming.
    >
    > Ahh, I didn't even realize he was talking about priming.

    I think he's mainly talking about painting, but I consider attaching
    "handles" superfluous for most GW-scale painting work.

    > I'm with you on the idea that the mounts aren't even needed after
    > the priming stage unless one is doing some sort of uber-detailed
    > base for a show quality mini on standard 25 / 28mm or larger minis.

    Even then, I probably wouldn't go that route.

    I have the feeling that the film canister handle is to allow for
    painting an entire, single mini in one sitting, rather than
    assembly-line fashion, which allows the paint to dry between models.

    > I still think I'd personally start mounting stuff 15mm and smaller
    > (like the Flames of War infantry) to balsa wood strips for ease
    > of painting.

    I haven't started on my 10mm WarMaster minis, but I woudld tend to agree
    here, only because they multi-rank on bases.

    > As for priming and being able to see the minis from all angles - I
    > use the handy dandy 'pizza box' method.

    [SNIP]

    What I don't like is the increased potential for catching dust when
    spraying down like that. Hence I use a priming stick, which allows me
    to get at all angles pretty easily.

    The big bonus about the pizza box is you can do a *lot* of minis at once.

    I'm not sold on masking fluid, as I prefer to pre-assemble before
    priming. The way I see it, if it can't be primed, it probably won't see
    and wear.

    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Chris Valera wrote:
    > Kenneth Coble wrote:
    >
    >>This might be common knowledge, but I just figured it out, so I
    >
    > thought I'd
    >
    >>throw it out there in case it's helpful for anyone else. A friend
    >
    > of mine
    >
    >>suggested temporarily mounting old 35mm film canisters to the bases
    >
    > of my
    >
    >>minis to make it easier to move them around while painting without
    >
    > sticking
    >
    >>one's fingers in the wet paint. The problem with this otherwise
    >
    > brilliant
    >
    >>idea was that I could only round up 4 or 5 of them here in the house.
    >
    > Well,
    >
    >>today I was in the camera store buying a memory card for my digital
    >
    > camera,
    >
    >>and I thought I'd ask if they had any of the old 35mm canisters
    >
    > laying
    >
    >>around. The salesman went to a supply closet and handed me a grocery
    >
    > bag
    >
    >>full of them for free - more than enough for my painting needs, with
    >
    > a hell
    >
    >>of a lot left over, possibly to acheive a new life as terrain
    >
    > features. I'm
    >
    >>not sure quite how many it was, but conservative estimates put it at
    >
    > "an
    >
    >>assload," and the salesman said they'd have that many again in about
    >
    > two or
    >
    >>three days.
    >>
    >>Now for all I know, everyone else on RGMW has already done this ten
    >
    > or
    >
    >>eleven times and has a closet filled with these little bastards, but
    >>hopefully this is useful news to at least one person. Like I said, it
    >
    > had
    >
    >>never occurred to me until today.
    >

    > Kewl you can grab tons of extras from any 1 hour photo place. The clear
    > white ones are groovy for holding/mixing paint, if you wash'em out
    > first. Both film canisters and 2-litre soda bottle tops *look* like
    > they'd be good for terrain and model work, but they don't hold paint
    > too well. I tried to use them as the cannon for some gobsmashas ages
    > ago and it didn't turn out so well. I'd suggest not using them, unless
    > you want to keep them unpainted.
    >
    > --Chris

    If the clear ones are VERY clear, they could be used for cryo tanks or
    regen. tanks...

    --
    __. _, ( For the Emperor! ) .__
    73\(p (A%) )/ 9)/EF

    "estarriol" <estarriol@blueyonder.jeansNtshirt.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Hmmm do film cannisters come in grey, if not they soon will........

    I suspect film canisters are made of that certain plastic to which paint
    doesn't much care to stick.
    --
    Jon Hedge,
    "The chances are, I said it in jest."

    First time e-mails should be tagged [RGMW] to make it through my spam
    filter.

    RGMW FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:34:41 +0100
    Birkwood <birkwood@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > Both film canisters and
    > > 2-litre soda bottle tops *look* like they'd be good for
    > > terrain and model work, but they don't hold paint too well.
    > > I tried to use them as the cannon for some gobsmashas ages
    > > ago and it didn't turn out so well. I'd suggest not using
    > > them, unless you want to keep them unpainted.
    > >
    > > --Chris
    > >
    > If the clear ones are VERY clear, they could be used for cryo
    > tanks or regen. tanks...

    <delurk>

    I Seem to remember using them a while back, if you want to make
    them look like concrete blocks / pillars, lightly sand them to
    roughen them up, then apply PVA and sand, and that'll hold the
    paint pretty well.

    Been some time since I did any modeling though... :(

    -Chris D

    </delurk>
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Chris D wrote:
    > Birkwood <birkwood@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >>If the clear ones are VERY clear, they could be used for cryo
    >>tanks or regen. tanks...

    They're not, only translucent, like wax paper.

    > I Seem to remember using them a while back, if you want to make
    > them look like concrete blocks / pillars, lightly sand them to
    > roughen them up, then apply PVA and sand, and that'll hold the
    > paint pretty well.
    >
    > Been some time since I did any modeling though... :(

    Film canisters have the very good characteristic of being both airtight
    and watertight. To do this, they are typically made of a rather waxy
    plastic, which doesn't take paint very well at all. Even sanded, I'm
    surprised that they take paint without a plasticizer as used to paint
    flexible Lexan R/C car bodies.

    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.

Video Games