cd -rw problem

i am having trouble with the drive reading some disks my dvd rom does not
read any type of disk and the cd rw will read some and not others if i burn a
disk it will not read the disk afterwards but another computer will this is
the message i get from the event viewer Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 11
Source: Cdrom
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR
Message: The driver detected a controller error on %1.

Explanation
This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive
to the computer.

User Action
Replace the cable.

my question is does it matter if i use a 40 pin 40 wire ide cable or a 40
pin 80 wire ide cable? thanks for any help
ken
4 answers Last reply
More about problem

    I prefer 80

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "ken" <ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i am having trouble with the drive reading some disks my dvd rom does not
    > read any type of disk and the cd rw will read some and not others if i
    burn a
    > disk it will not read the disk afterwards but another computer will this
    is
    > the message i get from the event viewer Details
    > Product: Windows Operating System
    > ID: 11
    > Source: Cdrom
    > Version: 5.2
    > Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR
    > Message: The driver detected a controller error on %1.
    >
    > Explanation
    > This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the
    drive
    > to the computer.
    >

    > User Action
    > Replace the cable.
    >
    > my question is does it matter if i use a 40 pin 40 wire ide cable or a 40
    > pin 80 wire ide cable? thanks for any help
    > ken

    so it doesn't matter then? i could use either?

    ken wrote:
    > so it doesn't matter then? i could use either?

    Yes you could but and 80 pin is better,with an 80 pin each wire has it's own
    ground.

    > "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
    >
    >> I prefer 80
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    >> "ken" <ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> i am having trouble with the drive reading some disks my dvd rom
    >>> does not read any type of disk and the cd rw will read some and not
    >>> others if i burn a disk it will not read the disk afterwards but
    >>> another computer will this is the message i get from the event
    >>> viewer Details
    >>> Product: Windows Operating System
    >>> ID: 11
    >>> Source: Cdrom
    >>> Version: 5.2
    >>> Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR
    >>> Message: The driver detected a controller error on %1.
    >>>
    >>> Explanation
    >>> This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects
    >>> the drive to the computer.
    >>>

    >>> User Action
    >>> Replace the cable.
    >>>
    >>> my question is does it matter if i use a 40 pin 40 wire ide cable
    >>> or a 40 pin 80 wire ide cable? thanks for any help
    >>> ken

    "ken" <ken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i am having trouble with the drive reading some disks my dvd rom does not
    > read any type of disk and the cd rw will read some and not others if i
    burn a
    > disk it will not read the disk afterwards but another computer will this
    is
    > the message i get from the event viewer Details
    > Product: Windows Operating System
    > ID: 11
    > Source: Cdrom
    > Version: 5.2
    > Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR
    > Message: The driver detected a controller error on %1.
    >
    > Explanation
    > This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the
    drive
    > to the computer.
    >

    > User Action
    > Replace the cable.
    >
    > my question is does it matter if i use a 40 pin 40 wire ide cable or a 40
    > pin 80 wire ide cable? thanks for any help
    > ken

    80 wire type prevents or reduces crosstalk between the two devices on the
    same cable or an adjacent cable. It also reduces stray RF that may
    interfere with communications on that may be introduced to the cable from
    the internals in your PC. Therefore, 80 wire is better.

    There is an ATA specification for 18" total length ribbon cable. You may
    get away with 24" with the 80 wire type with no communication problems, if
    you have a tall tower PC.

CD-Rom Windows XP