Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[40k] [FW] New Elysians

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:12:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/elyspcomm.htm

Not sure about the right hands of the officer and vox-operator, but the fact
that the parts are interchangeable with those of other Elysian sets counts
for a bit. Otherwise I like these, and at £20 they don't actually work out
much more expensive than a metal command squad with commander and
specialists. Shame the set only contains the parts for one special weapon,
though. The detailing on the Medic looks very good indeed.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/elyssnipe.htm

The first of these would make a brilliant IG Sniper model in a Cadian army.
Not convinced by the snipers treated as heavy weapon teams idea - why does
it take two Elysians to man weapons other IG use individually? Surely the
rifle has its own sniper scope rather than relying on a spotter (in fact it
seems to) - I'd have thought that was rather the point.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/elysmort.htm

Laspistols, lasguns, grenade launchers, meltaguns, demo charges, sniper
rifles and mortars - the range is shaping up well. I like the idea of the
mortar-carriers, but I don't think they really work as part of the mortar
squad. Those in more traditional poses work better, and the mortar is
appropriately heavy-looking - could be a good conversion piece for a Thudd
Gun as well as being good in its own right. Sounds from the description in
the newsletter as though it may get its own rules - though Elysians are far
too expensive for anyone to consider getting an army of them, I am
interested to see what their rules are.

Philip Bowles

More about : 40k elysians

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:47:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

In article <374arpF570sbkU1@individual.net>, Philip Bowles,
pbowles@aol.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/elyspcomm.htm
>
> Not sure about the right hands of the officer and vox-operator, but the fact
> that the parts are interchangeable with those of other Elysian sets counts
> for a bit. Otherwise I like these, and at £20 they don't actually work out
> much more expensive than a metal command squad with commander and
> specialists. Shame the set only contains the parts for one special weapon,
> though. The detailing on the Medic looks very good indeed.

Yeah, they are nice minis, but again, with the price of an army
group being astronomical, I won't be getting any unless I win the
lottery some time soon. I'd like the melta gunner more if he was
holding his weapon at a bit more of an upward angle - looks like he's
trying to fry ants with it the way he's holding it currently.
>
> http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/elyssnipe.htm
>
> The first of these would make a brilliant IG Sniper model in a Cadian army.
> Not convinced by the snipers treated as heavy weapon teams idea - why does
> it take two Elysians to man weapons other IG use individually? Surely the
> rifle has its own sniper scope rather than relying on a spotter (in fact it
> seems to) - I'd have thought that was rather the point.

They're probably making reference to the fact typical modern
snipers work in teams of shooter and spotter. Personally I agree the
first pair is sweet looking, especially the sniper. Personally I hate
the 'heavy weapons' bases and don't plan on using them even on my Heavy
weapons teams - they're useless for setting up in tight terrain - like
say City Fights for example. You have to wonder about the thought
process that went into that one. If I got any I'd mount them on
individual bases.

>
> http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/elysmort.htm
>
> Laspistols, lasguns, grenade launchers, meltaguns, demo charges, sniper
> rifles and mortars - the range is shaping up well. I like the idea of the
> mortar-carriers, but I don't think they really work as part of the mortar
> squad. Those in more traditional poses work better, and the mortar is
> appropriately heavy-looking - could be a good conversion piece for a Thudd
> Gun as well as being good in its own right. Sounds from the description in
> the newsletter as though it may get its own rules - though Elysians are far
> too expensive for anyone to consider getting an army of them, I am
> interested to see what their rules are.

Ok, as a 'Merkin' these look just plain funny to me. They look
for all the world like an over sized handle-less 38 cal revolver with
bipod legs. I wonder if each one will get to fire multiple templates -
gee like a revolver. Blam! Blam! Blam! Click! - Uh-Oh! The sculpting
is nice and the detail is solid throughout the line, but the choice of
weapons to model them off seems somewhat 'silly'.

It is however nice to see some part of GW (even if it's a sub-division
so to speak) take a shot at making minis in a somewhat more dynamic
range when it comes to the illusion of motion and action. I can only
hope that if GW every comes out with plastic 'steel legion' style troops
(love the gas mask look) that they'll be as nicely varied.

Later,

Myrmidon

--
#1582. I think they call it Warhammer "40K" because that is how
much you are going to have to make per year in order to play.

- Eric Noland

# 1082. Pound for pound I can buy cocaine cheaper than
raise a Warhammer army

- Roy Cox

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/gwprice/

****

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

http://www.sheppard.demon.co.uk/rgmw_faq/rgmw_faq.htm
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:51:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

Philip Bowles wrote:
<snip>
> http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/elyssnipe.htm
>
> The first of these would make a brilliant IG Sniper model in a Cadian
> army. Not convinced by the snipers treated as heavy weapon teams idea
> - why does it take two Elysians to man weapons other IG use
> individually? Surely the rifle has its own sniper scope rather than
> relying on a spotter (in fact it seems to) - I'd have thought that
> was rather the point.
<snip>

Maybe it's supposed to reflect a more "modern" (as in post WWI) bias for the
Elysian list - isn't the typical present-day sniper doctrine to deploy in
two man shooter/spotter teams whenever the mission permits?

--
Ken Coble

Will you still have a song to sing
When the razor boy comes
And takes your fancy things away?
Will you still be singing it
On that cold and windy day?
--Steely Dan, "Razor Boy"
Related resources
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:13:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

"Philip Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
news:374arpF570sbkU1@individual.net...
> http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/elyspcomm.htm
>
> Not sure about the right hands of the officer and vox-operator, but the
> fact that the parts are interchangeable with those of other Elysian sets
> counts for a bit. Otherwise I like these, and at £20 they don't actually
> work out much more expensive than a metal command squad with commander and
> specialists. Shame the set only contains the parts for one special weapon,
> though. The detailing on the Medic looks very good indeed.

The melta gunner looks a bit silly. Apart from that I really, really like
them and the other squads.


>
> http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/elyssnipe.htm
>
> The first of these would make a brilliant IG Sniper model in a Cadian
> army. Not convinced by the snipers treated as heavy weapon teams idea

That is the way a Special Weapons Support squad works in the IG codex though
(3 to 6 men, upto 3 special weapons), they aren't meant to be a heavy
weapons team.


Rob
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:50:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 18:47:00 GMT, Myrmidon <ImNot@home.com> wrote:

>> http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/elysmort.htm
>>
> Ok, as a 'Merkin' these look just plain funny to me. They look
>for all the world like an over sized handle-less 38 cal revolver with
>bipod legs. I wonder if each one will get to fire multiple templates -
>gee like a revolver.

I kind of like their mortar, thought about making one for my army
years ago. Thing is the magazine fed would be better for a heavy
mortar than a man portable. A light (60mm) tube can be fired fairly
quickly by it's crew for several minutes, a larger (81mm or 120mm)
would tire out the crew quickly. Making the heavier weapons magazine
fed would allow higher fire rates.

My complaint is the overall look of the troops. The helmet shape
reminds me of the cops in Fifth Element, the las guns of the French
assault rifle. Can't help thinking "Drop your weapons Troops".

--
Lane
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:50:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

Lane Shutt wrote:
> Myrmidon <ImNot@home.com> wrote:
>>>http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/elysmort.htm
>>
>>Ok, as a 'Merkin' these look just plain funny to me. They look
>>for all the world like an over sized handle-less 38 cal revolver with
>>bipod legs. I wonder if each one will get to fire multiple templates -
>>gee like a revolver.
>
>
> I kind of like their mortar, thought about making one for my army
> years ago.

http://www.rotteneggs.com/r3/show/se/49506.html

> My complaint is the overall look of the troops. The helmet shape
> reminds me of the cops in Fifth Element, the las guns of the French
> assault rifle. Can't help thinking "Drop your weapons Troops".

"Wrong answer."

--
--- John Hwang "JohnHwang...@cs.com.no.com"
\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
| Horned Blood Cross Terror LED Speed Jagd Destiny
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 12:13:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

Resin.

Double the price and you'll get the US prices.

Sigh.

--Chris
!