Why is Dell screwing me like this?

Hi,

I'm so confused, I'm not sure where to turn. Perhaps you can help?

I'm an independent software developer attempting to create a very large
financial analysis application. It performs calculations across a grid of
servers. I decided to use Dell's blade servers in my grid. My sales rep told
me that the current blade offering is the PowerEdge 1655, so I purchased the
blade enclosure and a single blade server. The order was received. A few
days later I read an article on News.com stating that Dell was phasing out
the 1655 and replacing it with a newer model. No problem, I thought. I'll
just purchase five more blades to fill up my current enclosure and then
start buying their more modern blades. So I placed a $13,000 order for five
more blades. That was a month ago (actually one order was placed on Nov 12,
the other on Dec 1).

Since then, I've received numerous autoresponder emails from Dell
telling me that the order would be delayed. No problem, I was willing to
wait... but now I'm getting worried. The oldest order is now one *month* old
and no one at Dell is taking any action on it. My guess (and I can't prove
this) is that hundreds of customers are trying to buy up these 1655 blades
to fill up their enclosures since they know Dell is about to stop making
them -- but somehow *MY* order keeps getting pushed to the back of the queue
[apparently].

I've called my sales rep. I've called customer service. I've emailed
people. I've bitched, I've complained, I've tried being nice, I've tried
being mean. Nothing works. No one is taking any action. Everyone claims that
they have no idea what is causing the delay but no one is DOING anything. If
there truly is some issue beyond Dell's control (i.e. a motherboard
shortage, a dock worker strike, etc.) that is prohibiting the order from
being fulfilled, I'd understand -- but the fact that everyone is blowing me
off is just frustrating!

Can anyone make a suggestion? Here is the latest letter that I sent to
Dell. If I'm using the wrong terminology or not making myself clear, please
let me know:

================
To whom it may concern:

My customer number is xxxxx. The orders in question are:

9774433xx, placed November 12th

1062132xx, placed December 1st

The first order is nearly one month over due. I have talked to countless
people at Dell regarding these orders (sales, customer service, etc.) and no
one seems to have any information for me. What is going on with these
orders? I keep getting the runaround at Dell and can't get anyone to respond
to my queries. I've been assured numerous times that my order has been
"expedited" but I can't get anyone to take any action and fulfill the
orders.

I can't express strongly enough how urgent it is that I get these two orders
fulfilled. I understand that the particular model of server that I am
ordering is being phased out by Dell which means you probably have hundreds
of customers scrambling to order this same item -- but it's not fair that I
keep getting pushed to the back of the queue.

I don't mean to be a pest. I can assure you that after this nightmare order
has been resolved and the shipment has been received, no one at Dell will
ever have to hear from me or deal with me again... but until then, I have no
choice but to continue trying to get this resolved. It's been nearly one
month. Please help.

Could someone please call me and tell me what's going on? My job and
livelihood is at stake. I realize that this query may be outside the realm
of your department but it would be a very kind gesture if you could help me.

My contact information is:

David xxxx

Case #: 87112xxx

phone: 858-692-xxxx

dsxxx@xxxcom

Thanks,

David

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

You should have bought a Sun Blade

"km" <km@km.org> wrote in message news:10rkclo5ran0859@corp.supernews.com...
> You should have bought a Sun Blade

Thanks for the tip. Needless to say I won't be buying from Dell in the
future...

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

there's no real demand on remaing 1655 blades, as Dell sold pitifully few.
Can you check status of order online at all? Failing that, i'm afraid you'll
have to just get on the phone until someone gives you some answers....

Good luck - Dan

"DanR" <dan@dan.com> wrote in message
> there's no real demand on remaing 1655 blades, as Dell sold pitifully few.
> Can you check status of order online at all? Failing that, i'm afraid
you'll
> have to just get on the phone until someone gives you some answers....

I've been checking online every day for the last month. It states an
estimated delivery date of Nov 29... yeah... I know.

toy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

> "km" <km@km.org> wrote in message
>> You should have bought a Sun Blade
>
> Thanks for the tip. Needless to say I won't be buying from Dell in the
> future...

cant you cancel as they don't debit until goods are despatched.........then
get the Sun type

> cant you cancel as they don't debit until goods are
despatched.........then
> get the Sun type

Yes, it's true that they haven't debited my card yet.... but if I DO
cancel, I'll be left with a blade enclosure containing a single blade and
five empty slots. I'm basically walking away from the investment that I made
in the enclosure -- and the enclosure only works with Dell-made blade
servers.

I can't use Sun blades because the servers need to run
Windows....BUT...I discovered a blade manufacturer called RLX (rlx.com) that
I'm considering in the future. Perhaps their sales rept will be better than
Dell's? It certainly couldn't be worse.

I just don't understand why Dell is ignoring me. I was planning to do
about $100k/year in business with them over the next three or four years. I
know you're thinking "Michael Dell doesn't give a *** about your piddly
$100k/year in revenue"... and that's true... but if Dell is treating their
small business clients this way, it HAS to hurt their bottom line... doesn't
it? Am I crazy?

Even my sales rep who presumably gets paid a commission on my orders
doesn't seem to care one bit. Her response: "I can't help you. You need to
call Customer Care."... and I HAVE called customer care, posted in the
forums, etc. etc. and no one is interested in helping. The fact that she's
losing a customer that wants to do $300-$400k business with her over the
next few years doesn't bother her in the least. If I were a sales rep, that
would bother me! Even if she doesn't care about satisfying me personally,
shouldn't she at least want to help me for the sake of earning a higher
commission? I'm totally stunned and confused...

David

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:22:02 -0800, Lamont Sanford <lamont@sanford.son>
wrote:

> I've called my sales rep. I've called customer service. I've emailed
> people. I've bitched, I've complained, I've tried being nice, I've tried
> being mean. Nothing works. No one is taking any action. Everyone claims
> that
> they have no idea what is causing the delay but no one is DOING
> anything. If
> there truly is some issue beyond Dell's control (i.e. a motherboard
> shortage, a dock worker strike, etc.) that is prohibiting the order from
> being fulfilled, I'd understand -- but the fact that everyone is blowing
> me
> off is just frustrating!

Wow, sounds like you've had a bit of an uphill battle with Dell. The only
thing I can recommend is to send them the same email every day. At some
stage,
someone will notice their inbox is full of the same email. If they block
your
email, open up a free hotmail or yahoo account and send some more.

You have a right to know what is causing the delays and the right to a
speedy
resolution. One month is a ridiculous timeframe.

Good luck.

Buck

You've stated in your correspondence that you're not going to deal with Dell
again. From Dell's point of view if they are in a bind delivering orders
they may prioritize their load to take care of customers they believe will
return. You've also assumed why you think the problem exists which may or
may not be correct but might cause an undesirable reaction from the "human"
on the other end (e.g. if you're right and Dell is reluctant to admit it for
business reasons, they may choose to not respond to avoid a debate).

You obviously can't "unring a bell" but another response to Dell suggesting
future business is either at stake (stick) or is in the cards (carrot) might
help.

> [...]
> choice but to continue trying to get this resolved. It's been nearly one
> month. Please help.
>
> Could someone please call me and tell me what's going on? My job and
> livelihood is at stake. I realize that this query may be outside the realm
> of your department but it would be a very kind gesture if you could help
> me.
>
> My contact information is:
>
> David xxxx
>
> Case #: 87112xxx
>
> phone: 858-692-xxxx
>
> dsxxx@xxxcom
>

> Thanks,
>
> David

> You've stated in your correspondence that you're not going to deal with
Dell
> again. From Dell's point of view if they are in a bind delivering orders
> they may prioritize their load to take care of customers they believe will

This point of view certainly makes sense, but I get the impression that
Dell couldn't care less whether I do business with them or not. Everyone
I've spoken with just reads from a script:

"I'm sorry, sir. I'm not sure why your order is delayed. We'll try to
expidite that."

"Is there anything else I can help you with today ?"

These script readers have no stake in the outcome of this issue. If I
decide to do no more business with Dell, they aren't bothered in the least.
It's kind of hard to put pressure on people who just don't care about your
business. :(

David

"Lamont Sanford" <lamont@sanford.son> wrote in message

<snip>> I thought. I'll
>> just purchase five more blades to fill up my current enclosure and then
>> start buying their more modern blades. So I placed a $13,000 order for
>> five more blades. That was a month ago (actually one order was placed on
>> Nov 12, the other on Dec 1).
>>
>> Since then, I've received numerous autoresponder emails from Dell
>> telling me that the order would be delayed. No problem, I was willing to
>> wait... but now I'm getting worried. The oldest order is now one *month*
>> old and no one at Dell is taking any action on it. My guess (and I can't
>> prove
>> this) is that hundreds of customers are trying to buy up these 1655
>> blades
>> to fill up their enclosures since they know Dell is about to stop making
>> them -- but somehow *MY* order keeps getting pushed to the back of the
>> queue [apparently].

Nope... don't think that's your problem. At Christmas time, the server
production lines get switched over to desktops to help meet the seasonal
rush. You'll probably get your order in mid-January, IF you don't cancel.

> Nope... don't think that's your problem. At Christmas time, the server
> production lines get switched over to desktops to help meet the seasonal
> rush. You'll probably get your order in mid-January, IF you don't cancel.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

It's kind of scary that I'm hearing this from a person on USENET instead
of someone from Dell, but I appreciate it just the same. Do you work for
Dell or is this just "common knowledge" ?

Thanks again,

David

>but if I DO
>cancel, I'll be left with a blade enclosure containing a single blade
and
>five empty slots. I'm basically walking away from the investment that
I made
>in the enclosure -- and the enclosure only works with Dell-made blade
>servers.

Have you tried calling a higher up? A CEO or manager? Ask for
another sales rep?

Failing that...

What about returning the enclosure, and everything, with full refund
including shipping and handling? After which you can try another
company for business.
They have no right treating you this way.

...John

Fairly common knowledge of what's happening across the whole industry. From
Thanksgiving to New Years, either the retailers get in the black for the entire
year or they don't. Hence the huge push to grunt out lots of consumer goodies.
Without a holiday shopping season, the US economy would be REALLY in the
dumpster, instead of just heading that way... Ben Myers

>> cant you cancel as they don't debit until goods are
> despatched.........then
>> get the Sun type
>
> Yes, it's true that they haven't debited my card yet.... but if I DO
> cancel, I'll be left with a blade enclosure containing a single blade and
> five empty slots. I'm basically walking away from the investment that I
> made
> in the enclosure -- and the enclosure only works with Dell-made blade
> servers.
>
> I can't use Sun blades because the servers need to run
> Windows....BUT...I discovered a blade manufacturer called RLX (rlx.com)
> that
> I'm considering in the future. Perhaps their sales rept will be better
> than
> Dell's? It certainly couldn't be worse.
>
> I just don't understand why Dell is ignoring me. I was planning to do
> about $100k/year in business with them over the next three or four years.
> know you're thinking "Michael Dell doesn't give a *** about your piddly
> $100k/year in revenue"... and that's true... but if Dell is treating their
> small business clients this way, it HAS to hurt their bottom line...
> doesn't
> it? Am I crazy?
>
> Even my sales rep who presumably gets paid a commission on my orders
> doesn't seem to care one bit. Her response: "I can't help you. You need to
> call Customer Care."... and I HAVE called customer care, posted in the
> forums, etc. etc. and no one is interested in helping. The fact that she's
> losing a customer that wants to do $300-$400k business with her over the
> next few years doesn't bother her in the least. If I were a sales rep,
> that
> would bother me! Even if she doesn't care about satisfying me personally,
> shouldn't she at least want to help me for the sake of earning a higher
> commission? I'm totally stunned and confused...
>
> David

I have seen the RLX products, and while they are nice enough, I cant
recommend anything other than HP Blade systems. They have the best supported
product (drivers, firmware, Tools integration) in the server market, and
they have (what is in my opinion) the best server support in the industry
(read, those phones arent answered in india
(www.illwillpress.com/tech.html).

Look at the HP blades, or look at thier DL320/DL360 product lines. I have
used many servers from each of the big 3, and HP is where I choose to spend
my customers IT dollars, and they are never disappointed. I still support
several hundred production application servers on various Dells, and I have
purchased scores of them too, so please dont think im a product biggot. I've
been around, and I've used lots of products. Im just giving you my $.02.

Also bear in mind that Dell has nothing to do with these groups, and on some
occasions in the past, has forbade thier employees from participating here.

Good Luck,

- NuTs

> I have seen the RLX products, and while they are nice enough, I cant
> recommend anything other than HP Blade systems. They have the best
supported
> product (drivers, firmware, Tools integration) in the server market,

I've actually made one call to HP already. I ended up talking to some
young kid who didn't know what a blade server really is. HP might be a lot
like Dell in that if you end up in the wrong sales department, you're in
trouble. On the day I called HP I was so upset with Dell that I wasn't in
the mood to wait on hold for half an hour to find someone with some answers.
Now that I've cooled off a bit, I'm going to give HP another call.

I'm currently renting a cabinet at a colocation facility here in San
Diego. I peered through the tinted glass of other people's cabinets
(probably a no-no, BTW) to see what types of server blades other people are
using. I saw a LOT of HP, some IBM, but no Dell. (I *do* see a lot of Dell
for non-blade servers, however).

Another person that I respect works at a large financial company that
uses blades extensively. Here is an excerpt from his comments:

I'm not the one who actually manages the blade servers, but we use IBM.
We've appeared to have good luck so far other than the hard drives sometimes
going south.

The two players we were looking at were HP and IBM. For some reason, Dell
was not even an option. I think you found out why.

<<<

I always thought that HP and IBM primarily target the "large and medium
sized company" market whereas Dell specialized in serving "small business"
market -- people like me, but apparently, we small business types don't rank
too highly on Dell's list of priorities. :(

> Have you tried calling a higher up? A CEO or manager? Ask for
> another sales rep?

I have talked to many "elevated" customer service representatives and
managers. I haven't tried talking to different sales reps. Perhaps I should.
My suspicion is that the new sales rep would say "I can't help you. I'm not
your sales rep." As for calling a CEO, someone in one of the Dell forums
recommended that I send a certified letter to this guy:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/biographies/en/michael_george?c=us&l=en&s=corp

I can't even *imagine* how quickly such a letter would inevitable reach
his trash can. On the other hand, I have nothing to lose.

> Failing that...
>
> What about returning the enclosure, and everything, with full refund
> including shipping and handling? After which you can try another
> company for business.
> They have no right treating you this way.

Now *this* would be a step in the right direction. I've given this some
thought. The only hurdle I'd face with this approach is that I've passed my
15-day return window while waiting for these other orders to arrive. I could
*insist* that they refund my money for the enclosure and single blade that
they delivered a few months back, but I'm not sure that I have any legal
recourse if they say refuse.

David

Jim

You sound a little dell newsgroup whiner, can't you think of a better way to
handle this since you want us to believe what a bigshot computer purchaser
you are.

Use all that education you've got and be constructive in your effort.
Jim

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

> [...]
> supported product (drivers, firmware, Tools integration) in the server
> market, and they have (what is in my opinion) the best server support in
> the industry (read, those phones arent answered in india
> (www.illwillpress.com/tech.html).
>
> Look at the HP blades, or look at thier DL320/DL360 product lines. I have
> used many servers from each of the big 3, and HP is where I choose to
> spend my customers IT dollars, and they are never disappointed. I still
> support several hundred production application servers on various Dells,
> and I have purchased scores of them too, so please dont think im a product
> biggot. I've been around, and I've used lots of products. Im just giving
> you my $.02.
>
> Also bear in mind that Dell has nothing to do with these groups, and on
> some occasions in the past, has forbade thier employees from participating

jim,
Boy you're quick to think the worst. Sounds like he has a legitimate
grip to me.
Paul

"jim" <jima102250@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>> supported product (drivers, firmware, Tools integration) in the server
>> market, and they have (what is in my opinion) the best server support in
>> the industry (read, those phones arent answered in india
>> (www.illwillpress.com/tech.html).
>>
>> Look at the HP blades, or look at thier DL320/DL360 product lines. I have
>> used many servers from each of the big 3, and HP is where I choose to
>> spend my customers IT dollars, and they are never disappointed. I still
>> support several hundred production application servers on various Dells,
>> and I have purchased scores of them too, so please dont think im a
>> product biggot. I've been around, and I've used lots of products. Im just
>> giving you my $.02.
>>
>> Also bear in mind that Dell has nothing to do with these groups, and on
>> some occasions in the past, has forbade thier employees from

15-day window for returns be damned. Dell shipped you an incomplete order and
you do not want to wait an indefinite amount of time for the rest of it. Since
Dell cannot even give you a firm delivery date, they can stuff the hardware you
got already.

I'm not sure how the laws in your state apply to interstate commerce, but you
might be able to file a claim in small claims court for the refund, if the
dollar amount is not too large... Ben Myers

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:07:16 -0800, "Lamont Sanford" <lamont@sanford.son> wrote:

>> Have you tried calling a higher up? A CEO or manager? Ask for
>> another sales rep?
>
> I have talked to many "elevated" customer service representatives and
>managers. I haven't tried talking to different sales reps. Perhaps I should.
>My suspicion is that the new sales rep would say "I can't help you. I'm not
>your sales rep." As for calling a CEO, someone in one of the Dell forums
>recommended that I send a certified letter to this guy:
>
>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/biographies/en/michael_george?c=us&l=en&s=corp
>
> I can't even *imagine* how quickly such a letter would inevitable reach
>his trash can. On the other hand, I have nothing to lose.
>
>> Failing that...
>>
>> What about returning the enclosure, and everything, with full refund
>> including shipping and handling? After which you can try another
>> company for business.
>> They have no right treating you this way.
>
> Now *this* would be a step in the right direction. I've given this some
>thought. The only hurdle I'd face with this approach is that I've passed my
>15-day return window while waiting for these other orders to arrive. I could
>*insist* that they refund my money for the enclosure and single blade that
>they delivered a few months back, but I'm not sure that I have any legal
>recourse if they say refuse.
>
>David

I think the limit for small claims in most states is $1500. I would guess
that this matter is far in excess of that.

- NuTs

<lamont@sanford.son> wrote:

> [...]
>fulfilled. I understand that the particular model of server that I am
>ordering is being phased out by Dell which means you probably have hundreds
>of customers scrambling to order this same item -- but it's not fair that I
>keep getting pushed to the back of the queue.
>
>I don't mean to be a pest. I can assure you that after this nightmare order
>has been resolved and the shipment has been received, no one at Dell will
>ever have to hear from me or deal with me again... but until then, I have no
>choice but to continue trying to get this resolved. It's been nearly one
>month. Please help.
>
>Could someone please call me and tell me what's going on? My job and
>livelihood is at stake. I realize that this query may be outside the realm
>of your department but it would be a very kind gesture if you could help me.

At this point, if you cannot get a response and a ship date from Dell,
cancel your order immediately. You will have to eat the cost of your
current investment, but i am sure you can find someone willing to buy
it from you. Next step, is to call an IBM rep and see about purchasing
their blade technology. Their blade technology was i believe the first
(we have been using it almost two years now) and their support is top
notch. Their HS20 blades and new JS20 (AIX blades) are very nice
products with either SCSI attachments or fiber for NAS.
Dell are the low men on the totem pole for servers and even though
their products are getting better, my trust in them is still not as
good as what i give IBM and HP/Compaq. They don't even come close to
getting first consideration from us on purchases.

> At this point, if you cannot get a response and a ship date from Dell,
> cancel your order immediately.

I hate to admit it, but you're right. All pending orders were cancelled
today. Dell agreed to give me a full refund on the enclosure and single
blade that are currently in my possession.

>You will have to eat the cost of your
> current investment, but i am sure you can find someone willing to buy
> it from you. Next step, is to call an IBM rep and see about purchasing
> their blade technology. Their blade technology was i believe the first
> (we have been using it almost two years now) and their support is top
> notch. Their HS20 blades and new JS20 (AIX blades) are very nice
> products with either SCSI attachments or fiber for NAS.

I will, thanks for the tip. I notice that you referred to something
called an AIX blade. Isn't AIX a Unix OS? Will these blades run Windows as
well? I'll check IBM's web site.

> Dell are the low men on the totem pole for servers and even though
> their products are getting better, my trust in them is still not as
> good as what i give IBM and HP/Compaq. They don't even come close to
> getting first consideration from us on purchases.

Yeah, now I see why. :(

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:37:59 -0800, "Lamont Sanford"
<lamont@sanford.son> wrote:

>> At this point, if you cannot get a response and a ship date from Dell,
>> cancel your order immediately.
>
> I hate to admit it, but you're right. All pending orders were cancelled
>today. Dell agreed to give me a full refund on the enclosure and single
>blade that are currently in my possession.

Sorry to hear it. We only buy Dell workstations. Wouldn't touch their
servers. There is no need. We are an IBM shop in that regards and have
no interest in changing anytime soon.

>>You will have to eat the cost of your
>> current investment, but i am sure you can find someone willing to buy
>> it from you. Next step, is to call an IBM rep and see about purchasing
>> their blade technology. Their blade technology was i believe the first
>> (we have been using it almost two years now) and their support is top
>> notch. Their HS20 blades and new JS20 (AIX blades) are very nice
>> products with either SCSI attachments or fiber for NAS.
>
> I will, thanks for the tip. I notice that you referred to something
>called an AIX blade. Isn't AIX a Unix OS? Will these blades run Windows as
>well? I'll check IBM's web site.

The JS20's are i believe based on RISC processors instead of x86
architecture. I know you can run AIX 5.3 on them, but i also believe
Linux is an option. Price wise they are very competitive to x86
architecture and a whole heck of a lot cheaper than f650 we have. I do
not even know whether IBM has them on their website. They are very
new. We were notified about them because we have a number of AIX
servers in use now.

>> Dell are the low men on the totem pole for servers and even though
>> their products are getting better, my trust in them is still not as
>> good as what i give IBM and HP/Compaq. They don't even come close to
>> getting first consideration from us on purchases.
>
> Yeah, now I see why. :(
Don't put them down so fast. They normally are very good. We have been
dealing with Dell for years and for the most part they are better than
just about any other vendor for purchases. Since blade technology is
so new to them, i would expect they are having a problem with supply.
That doesn't excuse what they did, but they are one of the fastest
growing suppliers in the server field. One day it may be worthwhile to
look at them for servers. Just not now.