Explain the basics?

cluksha

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2005
I am very new to dvd authoring and there seems to be way too much to get my hands around in a short time. I am simply looking to record old home movies from my dv camera and drop on dvd. I don't need any extra abilities by the way of privacy overides or anything.

So how do I go about figuring out what I really need? There is all this talk of dvd +/- R +/-RW r9? What do I really need to know?

I have seen some nice looking dvds on the posts around here in the last hour but what does it all really mean?

Thanks all.
Chrs\is

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
The +R -R +RW etc are the different formats DL is dual layer normal DVDs (+R -R) can hold 4.7GB of data DL can hold 8.5GB.
The DVDs you rent from blockbuster are DL so if you want to copy it into a non DL DVD you'll have to shrink it.

What you want to do requires a video capture card, but I don't know enough about that.

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
<A HREF="http://www.videohelp.com/" target="_new">Nice link</A> to learn about DVDs

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) Many older set-top players won't play +R or any rewritables, so I suggest using -R media for universal compatibility.

2.) Use DVD-Shrink to shink movies to 4.5GB, then burn with Nero. You can do this without noticeable quality loss if you use DVD-Shrink's edit feature to make DVD's with the movie (main title) only, cutting out the extras.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
-R is the best format for homeset players.. and +RW also works very good. -R is your best bet.

Plextor has some nice standalone hardware items for captureing and stuff, just do some searchin man.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200