[40k] [paint] [diorama] Artificial light source with illum..

Last response: in Video Games
February 12, 2005 6:55:30 PM

I have three pilot models who will be deeply set inside a cockpit on a
display model, with very few view points, or natural light access. Because
of this, it's obviously going to be very dark and small LED lighting may be
required. On the surface this is straight forward, with only the question of
colour and placement to consider.

To use red or green would give a nice feel for a cockpit, but would ruin the
paint job of the crew (visually). Because of this, 'white' was the colour of
choice, with the crew to earn an illuminated paint job most probably with a
green glow from the control instruments.

The real question is where to mount the lights to fully appreciate the green
painted illumination:
- If the LEDs were above the models, it would cast shadows on the parts
which are painted to be illuminated.
- If the LEDs are below or on/inside the instrument panel, this might draw
away from the paint job as well, by flooding them in light, perhaps creating
harsh shadows in contrast.

In reality, we're talking about two light sources. The 'real' artificial LED
light, and the painted light source. Has anyone combated this situation
before?

I hope I have explained myself. Bombard me with questions as required.
Thanks
--
Jon Hedge,
The chances are, I said it in jest.

First time e-mails should be tagged [RGMW] to make it through my spam
filter.

RGMW FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 6:55:31 PM

"Jon Hedge" <ihug.com.au@dopefish> wrote in message
>I have three pilot models who will be deeply set inside a cockpit on a
>display model, with very few view points, or natural light access. Because
>of this, it's obviously going to be very dark and small LED lighting may be
>required. On the surface this is straight forward, with only the question
>of colour and placement to consider.
>
> To use red or green would give a nice feel for a cockpit, but would ruin
> the paint job of the crew (visually). Because of this, 'white' was the
> colour of choice, with the crew to earn an illuminated paint job most
> probably with a green glow from the control instruments.
>
> The real question is where to mount the lights to fully appreciate the
> green painted illumination:
> - If the LEDs were above the models, it would cast shadows on the parts
> which are painted to be illuminated.
> - If the LEDs are below or on/inside the instrument panel, this might draw
> away from the paint job as well, by flooding them in light, perhaps
> creating harsh shadows in contrast.
>
> In reality, we're talking about two light sources. The 'real' artificial
> LED light, and the painted light source. Has anyone combated this
> situation before?

Hmmmm, sounds like an interesting project. I haven't messed with LED lights
in a long time but as I recall they give off a fairly soft light so you
shouldn't have a problem with harsh shadows that would obscure your painted
"dynamic lighting effect". If they *do* give off a light that is too harsh
you can soften it by covering the bulb with white tissue paper, Elmer's
white glue or something (it's why your typical lamp bulb uses frosted
glass).

You're probably just going to have to experiment a bit but I would try using
two white bulbs in the instrument panel as far apart as possible (about 45
degrees left/right of the pilot) and as far away from the pilot as possible
(the further the source is from the subject the softer the light/shadows
will be). That should give you a pretty good uniformed soft lighting so the
paint job will show. If not then try softening the light by covering the
bulbs as mentioned above.

Personally I would just use a green LED in the panel and have that be he
lighting effect. But I'm lazy :D

Let us know how it works out.

--

-smithdoerr
Anonymous

For painting an illuminated effect see WD 302

For other lighting ideas get a few issues of Sci Fi and Fantasy Modeller
!