Is Firefox the Problem?

C_Appeal

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
I joined a Forum thread in which folk complained about laptops running Windows 7 suddenly failing to run .exe files - a problem that I've also started to experience. One or two folk mentioned Firefox and I wonder if that program is the problem?
Now, when I reboot my laptop and I choose any program except Firefox to start up, those programs start just fine. But if the 1st prog that I start after a reboot is Firefox, it fails to start and I can't get any other .exe fle to start either!
Someone in the thread suggested that a virus was the cause but maybe it's a Firefox update that's at the bottom of it.

Solution
Jump to conclusions much? I don't really see where you guys think he's pirating windows.

@C_Appeal, do you get any sort of error messages or crashing when the programs fail to launch? I would say the first step would be uninstall FF and reinstall, just for the sake of checking that first.

I would try running Microsoft Security Essentials/Malware Bytes/AV of your choice, to make sure there isn't a virus.

Lastly, is the problem actually related to your shortcuts? I've heard of cases where windows associates the .lnk file extension with something funky and is no longer able to open shortcuts. If you navigate to the shortcut target and run it, do you see different results? Can you open a basic program like command prompt (hit...

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Jump to conclusions much? I don't really see where you guys think he's pirating windows.

@C_Appeal, do you get any sort of error messages or crashing when the programs fail to launch? I would say the first step would be uninstall FF and reinstall, just for the sake of checking that first.

I would try running Microsoft Security Essentials/Malware Bytes/AV of your choice, to make sure there isn't a virus.

Lastly, is the problem actually related to your shortcuts? I've heard of cases where windows associates the .lnk file extension with something funky and is no longer able to open shortcuts. If you navigate to the shortcut target and run it, do you see different results? Can you open a basic program like command prompt (hit windows key, type CMD, hit enter) from there can you run a program like notepad (type notepad on the command prompt, hit enter).

Solution

tripledouce

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
This is actually a little nasty piece of spyware that changes your your file assoiciation for .exe i nyour registry. you will have to boot into safe mode with cmd prompt and redo your file assoiciation.

C_Appeal

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
WIN7 came preloaded on a new Compaq laptop which I bought 2 years ago from a reputable supplier. This is the first problem I've had since I bought it so I don't think that is the issue.

C_Appeal

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Sorry for the slight delay in replying but my broadband connection has been down!

There are no error messages when I try to start Firefox as the first application immediatley after a reboot. All I see is the rotating circle for a few seconds and then that disappears without starting Firefox. If I then try to start a different program (e.g. Word) the same circle thing happens and no pogram opens up.

However, if I start any other program (e.g. Word, Irfanview etc.) as the first program immediatley after a reboot, that program starts OK and I can then successfully start Firefox after it.

Your other points:- I am starting the programs from the taskbar; I have run Malware Bytes from a USB stick but no errors were found; the problem is intermittent and has only recently started happening after 2 years successful running. I will follow your suggestion of uninstalling and re-installing FF.

Thanks.

C_Appeal

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
I downloaded FF from the Mozilla website and it also downloaded Babylon Search which I understand is malware. How did it get attached to a Mozilla program?!! It has infected my other browsers too so I am in the process of trying to get rid of it :(