How can i change from power user to administrator

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
type "control userpasswords" in run prompt & select you user name from users & go to its properties...
select member of tab , then cick on ADD button and add your user account to administrators group..

You suppose a Power User is authorized to change themself into an Administrator? What sort of security would that be?

Only an Administrator can change a Power User into an Administrator. Of course, if you know the username and password of an Administrator then this method will work; otherwise you'll have to ask an Administrator to do this for you.

manojgj

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
users, power users or any other user groups in windows cannot override the permissions of Administrators.. those who able to talk about user accounts type will normally know these stuffs. that's why i only mentioned the method to change..

Not a good idea; in the corporate world, this could be a security infraction; penalties vary by company, but don't seem worth the risk.
If you're a kid trying to overcome parental controls, you risk loss of computer privileges for an indefinite period of time, or worse. Again, it doesn't seem worth the risk.

Yah - But you can provide admin credentials when using a non admin account.

The other reason I asked is it could be a case where someone else ("Mom and Dad") may have admin power, and the kid wants to get around the limitations they've set...

curvature

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

I'm sorry, but I accidentally changed the only administrator account to power user. What can I do then? I cannot change user settings.