Sysprep Issues

July 26, 2005 6:01:03 PM

I'm having a heck of a time trying to have Sysprep run an automated install
using mini-setup on a install of XP. The Sysprep runs properly and shutsdown
the PC ready for me to upload the image. But when I deploy the image the PC
enters mini setup and reads the sysprep.inf everything goes great until it
reaches the "Registering Components" step in the process.

When it reaches this step it pops up a dialog box named "System Preparation
Tool 2.0" then states all the proper uses of parameter's (i.e. -reseal
-factory ext.). The dialog box just has the OK to continue then the
mini-setup finishes with no problem. It makes me think that I'm typing
something in wrong when I execute sysprep or in the sysprep.inf. An example
of my sysprep.inf is below as is the command line I use to execute sysprep.
(I've also tried using the GUI sysprep interface and the same message
occurs).
Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

Command line I use C:\Sysprep\sysprep.exe -mini -quiet -reseal

Sysprep.inf I use:

[Unattended]
OemSkipEula=Yes
InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
OemPnPDriversPath=Drivers\NIC;Drivers\Video;Drivers\Sound

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=*
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=4
OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
ProductKey=Ourvolumekeycode
FullName="For Official Use Only!"
OrgName="My School District"
ComputerName=TEMP-NAME

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

More about : sysprep issues

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:15:01 PM

We used to use sysprep/ghost. The IT guy before me showed me how he was
doing it, and he always went through the mini-setup twice before rebooting.
The first time only lasted for a minute or two, but the 2nd time took much
longer. I'm not sure if this was the problem that it solved (since I always
just did it as was done before) but maybe worth a try if you're bored and
can't think of anything else to do?

"Derek Stewart" wrote:

> I'm having a heck of a time trying to have Sysprep run an automated install
> using mini-setup on a install of XP. The Sysprep runs properly and shutsdown
> the PC ready for me to upload the image. But when I deploy the image the PC
> enters mini setup and reads the sysprep.inf everything goes great until it
> reaches the "Registering Components" step in the process.
>
> When it reaches this step it pops up a dialog box named "System Preparation
> Tool 2.0" then states all the proper uses of parameter's (i.e. -reseal
> -factory ext.). The dialog box just has the OK to continue then the
> mini-setup finishes with no problem. It makes me think that I'm typing
> something in wrong when I execute sysprep or in the sysprep.inf. An example
> of my sysprep.inf is below as is the command line I use to execute sysprep.
> (I've also tried using the GUI sysprep interface and the same message
> occurs).
> Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.
>
> Command line I use C:\Sysprep\sysprep.exe -mini -quiet -reseal
>
> Sysprep.inf I use:
>
> [Unattended]
> OemSkipEula=Yes
> InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386
> OemPnPDriversPath=Drivers\NIC;Drivers\Video;Drivers\Sound
>
> [GuiUnattended]
> AdminPassword=*
> EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
> OEMSkipRegional=1
> TimeZone=4
> OemSkipWelcome=1
>
> [UserData]
> ProductKey=Ourvolumekeycode
> FullName="For Official Use Only!"
> OrgName="My School District"
> ComputerName=TEMP-NAME
>
> [Identification]
> JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP
>
> [Networking]
> InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 11:22:03 PM

Thanks for the tip, but no luck there... very frustrating.

!